There is a Fine Line...

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: There is a Fine Line...

Post by February » Wed May 19, 2010 2:25 pm

hobie16 wrote:I remember an episode from the Redd Foxx show. Redd was trying to get by a woman in some bleachers and asked her to move her feet. She cried out, "Well, I never!"

Redd replied, "And with an attitude like that you never will."
On another old seventies sit-com I believe it was Pat Morita who replied to "Well I never!" with this gem...

"Maybe you should sometime!"

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

julieannboo
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by julieannboo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:28 am

i couldn't do what cast members do - work with the public in their thousands.

i have worked in stores before that bad enough but disney? must be tough.

julieannboo
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by julieannboo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 am

Syndrome wrote:Rudeness is certainly not ideal, but I won't begrudge a CM because I know I'd last about 5 mins. in the summer before I'd be fired for telling off a SG. I have utterly no patience for them. I don't mean guests who are genuinely confused...I mean the real SGs. It's not that I don't have patience in general. I am a doctor of psychology and have nearly infinite patience with my clients, even if it takes them a little while to 'get' something that might seem obvious. The difference is, they are working to improve themselves. They're not wandering around a theme park making everyone else's day miserable with their stupidity and attitude.
same me - i have no patience either!

CA Screamin Dude
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Courtesy is one of Disney's (and most companies, for that matter) bed and butter cornerstones. It is the second of Disney's four keys. All Cast Members/Disney Employees are taught this on Day One of work (DLR's "Traditions," ESPN's "Rookie Camp," or whatever the specific Line of Business calls Orientation). There are only a few situations in which a Cast Member/Employee can neglect their responsibility to "Courtesy," one of which is an immediate or imminent threat to person or property, as Disney's primary concern is for the safety of its guest and Cast. When it comes to choosing between using the "Safety" or "Courtesy" key (in that there is only time for one, but not the other), Safety must be addressed. If there is time for both, the safety issue must be addressed courteously. It goes to follow that if there is time for a third key, safety must be addressed courteously and with regard for the show (Disney 'look,' theme park 'experience, etc.). If there is time for all four keys (most situations), safety must be addressed courteously and efficiently with regard for the show...

There is a fine line between firmness and rudeness. By the book, a CM is only excused from hir responsibility to Courtesy when a higher priority (Safety) must immediately be addressed, as described above. If there is at all time to address the issue courteously, both keys shall be used, etc. Big Wallaby's post (Post #14) is an excellent illustration of the proper use of Disney's keys. The four keys were properly used in concert at the beginning of the incident, and one by one were removed so that only the issue of Safety was addressed by the end.

As 'extreme' or 'obvious' as this example may be, it is precisely where and when Courtesy may be vacated in for the sake of Safety: only in these kinds of situations. The grouper example is an instance of inappropriate neglect of the Courtesy key.