There is a Fine Line...

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: There is a Fine Line...

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Tinker Bell wrote: The things is that ppl say that we are apparently rude and inconsiderate when we are telling SG when we are trying to keep them safe or we must enforce the rules. You tell them to step off a railing and we are rude. We tell them no strollers allowed, so we are rude AND inconsiderate. Because we are not letting you do what you want then we are rude.
Agree entirely, Tinkerbell.
If I do not give the patient immediately whatever they imagine their need is (like to be there and out in only 5 minutes), that makes me "rude". I find it interesting, as they never say what exactly was said and instead start making up stuff. For example, one said I had blonde hair when I obviously have dark brown :rolleyes: For God's sake, at least get THAT right when you complain!

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tinker Bell » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 am

mapo wrote:So what did the idiot do?

MAPO
One person forgot their ticket and instead of going to the window and ask for help they used another persons ticket. Then another person (same family) use the ticket of another one. They knew they could get away with it because she/he said that they were not using a scan at that moment. However, when they started using the scan and they got caught and were refer to the folks at GR then suddenly WE were wrong in lecturing them about the misuse of the tickets. Never mind that is clearly printed on the ticket that they are non-transferable, they should have been grateful that the CM went easy on them instead they are too big to be 'fussed' at. :rolleyes:

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 pm

I remember being on that thread in my own pedantic way. Basically I told the OP that the OP was out of line and that I would have "fussed at" them as well.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:20 pm

To the OP, I have to say, if you were to come up on me when I've gone into chasing a guest off the Monorail Platform, you would think I was extremely rude if you didn't know the circumstance.

Definitely, there are those that are just rude for no apparent reason... I work with a few of those now and I wish they would quit and go someplace they would be HAPPY.

A few weeks ago, I was training new Cast Members when a family pushed open the exit door at the Polynesian (meaning, exit of the Monorail Platform into the building) and started out with their three small children. I started by asking them to please turn around and go the other way. They kept coming. I walked toward them, and a little louder, with no please, again told them they needed to turn around. They kept yelling at me about how they were going to go this way and I wasn't going to stop them. Finally, before they or their kids could get too close to the edge, I got close enough to stand right in their way and I told them they needed to turn around and come onto the platform the proper, safe way. I already had my handpack out, and showed it to them. If they came another step, I was going to cut power so the next Monorail could not get into the station. Then, it would be a 20-minute reset, and during that time Security would come and yadda yadda.

Finally they asked, "Why CAN'T we come this way, you *******?"

I responded with something like, "Because my conscience could not handle what would happen if I let you go by, and your kids fell into the trough onto the 600 Volt, 2000 Amp bus bar on the side of the Monorail Beam. I don't know you, and I don't trust you enough to watch your kids and keep them from that bus bar. That is why we have these gates over here that we keep you behind unless there is a train in the station. You are now going to turn around and come in through the entrance doors. If you are here in five seconds, I am shutting down the beam and calling Security, and the next train will not come in until after you are dealt with. Turn around now."

All in a calm voice on my part. Of course, they asked for my name, which I gladly gave them. With them still there, I called for my manager. She was at the next stop.

The family did turn around. They got on the next Monorail. I informed them that my manager was waiting for them at the next stop. They never said anything to her.

Was I rude? Maybe. But I am not sorry. I flush Courtesy, Show and Efficiency down the toilet when a guest creates a safety concern and will not cooperate in keeping themselves safe.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:25 pm

I think you handled that pretty darn well, Wallaby. I would've added that what they were doing constituted child endangerment, and that not only would security be handling them, so would Child Protective Services.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Was I rude? Maybe. But I am not sorry. I flush Courtesy, Show and Efficiency down the toilet when a guest creates a safety concern and will not cooperate in keeping themselves safe.
Sometimes you have to be rude to keep the idiots safe. That's why Safety is before Courtesy in the list. If they won't listen when you are polite and what they are doing is dangerous then you have to be rude.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Tinker Bell wrote:One person forgot their ticket and instead of going to the window and ask for help they used another persons ticket. Then another person (same family) use the ticket of another one. They knew they could get away with it because she/he said that they were not using a scan at that moment. However, when they started using the scan and they got caught and were refer to the folks at GR then suddenly WE were wrong in lecturing them about the misuse of the tickets. Never mind that is clearly printed on the ticket that they are non-transferable, they should have been grateful that the CM went easy on them instead they are too big to be 'fussed' at. :rolleyes:
I remember that thread

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:07 am

Big Wallaby wrote:
Was I rude? Maybe. But I am not sorry. I flush Courtesy, Show and Efficiency down the toilet when a guest creates a safety concern and will not cooperate in keeping themselves safe.
Yeah, actually BW, you were still courteous, had GREAT Show, and exemplified Efficiency. And your SAFETY was world class, bar none!

I challenge anyone to say you were RUDE, especially to me. :twisted:

They certainly did not want to hear what I would have said and done with those people.

Excellent job as usual BW.

MAPO

BTW, those that you work with that are unhappy are just like most of our SG that are unhappy, they will never be happy any where.

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:27 am

You know, it is funny. A group of us were just discussing how much we truly miss Lee Cockerell.

Lee used to say,
"Forget courtesy. You see an idiot climbing the fence of the lion cage? Don't say 'Please stop Sir.' or 'Sir, I am sorry that is not the way in'. You tell him to get down, now! If he doesn't listen, grab him...hold him down...whatever it takes to keep him out of the lion cage."

You call that rude? I call that being a LEADER...and damned if Disney, especially WDW, doesn't need a few dozen "Lee Cockerell" type leaders.

Remember that being a LEADER has nothing to do with what color your ID is...
"Courage is the Main Quality of Leadership" -- Walt Disney
MAPO

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 am

Big Wallaby wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was training new Cast Members when a family pushed.....

Finally they asked, "Why CAN'T we come this way, you *******?"

I responded with something like, "Because my conscience could not handle what would happen if I let you go by, and your kids fell into the trough onto the 600 Volt, 2000 Amp bus bar on the side of the Monorail Beam. I don't know you, and I don't trust you enough to watch your kids and keep them from that bus bar. That is why we have these gates over here that we keep you behind unless there is a train in the station. You are now going to turn around and come in through the entrance doors. If you are here in five seconds, I am shutting down the beam and calling Security, and the next train will not come in until after you are dealt with. Turn around now."

All in a calm voice on my part. Of course, they asked for my name, which I gladly gave them. With them still there, I called for my manager. She was at the next stop.

The family did turn around. They got on the next Monorail. I informed them that my manager was waiting for them at the next stop. They never said anything to her.

NOT RUDE AT ALL! That's my point, but you DID keep them from what they wanted, so they're mad at you......They'll complain to someone, even if it is just to their friends and a big sack of lies, as they are Entitled :rolleyes:
I've often thought of issung my warnings(usually to kids on Heelys in my clinic) in a little tiny whisper voice like Willy Wonka used.........no, don't do that, that would be dangerous....... :twisted:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D: