There is a Fine Line...

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
ifoundnemo
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

There is a Fine Line...

Post by ifoundnemo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Park employees can either be firm and authoratative, or just plain rude!

For Example...

I work in attractions, and I work with a girl who usually will give instructions when she is grouping people into rows, and if they shift around on her, she will re instruct them and follow up with a comment like "Learn to follow directions" or something like that. Today she was grouping a party of 6 and she assigned them the rows. The guest then asked, do we go 2-2-2 or 3-3? She replied with "I gave you two rows, there are 6 of you-" and the guest cut her off by snapping back with "Just answer the question" and walked away.

Do you think there are times where park employees are just plain rude, or don't realize they are sometimes crossing the line?

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: There is a Fine Line...

Post by mapo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 pm

ifoundnemo wrote:Park employees can either be firm and authoratative, or just plain rude!

For Example...

I work in attractions, and I work with a girl who usually will give instructions when she is grouping people into rows, and if they shift around on her, she will re instruct them and follow up with a comment like "Learn to follow directions" or something like that. Today she was grouping a party of 6 and she assigned them the rows. The guest then asked, do we go 2-2-2 or 3-3? She replied with "I gave you two rows, there are 6 of you-" and the guest cut her off by snapping back with "Just answer the question" and walked away.

Do you think there are times where park employees are just plain rude, or don't realize they are sometimes crossing the line?
Your red tag and pixie dust are showing.

Welcome to the holiday/peak season where the tempers can be as short as the line is long. BTW, we are not park employees, we are cast members.

That said, sometimes we all need a break before that damned break shows up. If you are indeed in your red tag phase (probation), take it in and make the best of it. You will hear many of us talk about how we "got" it after we earned our one year pin.

Until then, try to make the best of it and not be too judgemental on either side. It helps...alot!

MAPO

Near Philly
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Near Philly » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Your friend probably needs to stop saying those comments out loud if she wants to stay employed. Is she WDW or DL?
She should keep those comments in her head and then come here to vent. Many threads here start with a variation of " I had this SG today that......"
Many of those same threads wander way off course, but that's expected here.

ifoundnemo
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by ifoundnemo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:59 am

mapo wrote:BTW, we are not park employees, we are cast members.
I was making a generalization... not just Disney CM's (as I AM one) but theme park employees around the country in general

The problem is that no one hears her make these comments! I would love to see the day that a manager or someone higher up hears her. The won't fire her, they'll just talk to her.

Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tinker Bell » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:31 am

There are cast members that are rude, there is no doubt about that. I have work with a few that it leaves you mouth open they way sometimes they talk to ppl.

However, I think that sometimes cast members need to be authoritative in order to keep SG from doing stupid things and hurting themselves. There is such thing as being authoritative without being rude. The things is that ppl say that we are apparently rude and inconsiderate when we are telling SG when we are trying to keep them safe or we must enforce the rules. You tell them to step off a railing and we are rude. We tell them no strollers allowed, so we are rude AND inconsiderate. Because we are not letting you do what you want then we are rude.

For example in another board there is currently an ongoing thread of someone who clearly did something against park regulations. It wasn't a mistake, it wasn't a misunderstanding, they did something clearly wrong and they knew. What bothers me is that when they got a 'lecture', as they should, by the GR folks. If I'm understanding is correct several ppl are complaining because it was wrong of the CM and she wasn't being a Disney standard CM.

Excuse me?

Apparently because they pay our salaries we must be nice. Excuse me?! So if I get this straight from now on if a cop stops me from running a light and he starts lecturing me, then I need to remind him that he needs to be nice because I pay his salary and the customer is always right. Did I get that right? Would that get me out of a ticket?

Nothing pisses me off more than people who come up with the phrase "I pay your salary." or the one of 'I pay a lot of money so... Paying money doesn't entitle you to do whatever you please. And everyone else did pay a lot of money too. Rules and regulations are made to protect you, if we were free from them there would be a mess. When ppl mess up they need to start owning up to it and learning from it. It seems adults are incapable of doing so and then they wonder where the kids learn it.

Rant over... thanks for letting me vent. I couldn't sleep and made the mistake of browsing the internet in places CM should not be look for the sake of their blood pressure.

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 am

Tinker Bell wrote:However, I think that sometimes cast members need to be authoritative in order to keep SG from doing stupid things and hurting themselves. There is such thing as being authoritative without being rude.
I agree.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:52 am

SGs forget that CMs are human, they forget to leave situations at home, at home, they get frustrated, busy, or otherwise not "Disney". In other words, they think we're freaking robots. Next time an SG tells you they want your job, or something along that line, tell them they can have it, and see how they like dealing with jerks like them! :twisted:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:58 pm

if they say that they pay your salary, ask for a raise for having to deal with SGs! :rolleyes:

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Rudeness is certainly not ideal, but I won't begrudge a CM because I know I'd last about 5 mins. in the summer before I'd be fired for telling off a SG. I have utterly no patience for them. I don't mean guests who are genuinely confused...I mean the real SGs. It's not that I don't have patience in general. I am a doctor of psychology and have nearly infinite patience with my clients, even if it takes them a little while to 'get' something that might seem obvious. The difference is, they are working to improve themselves. They're not wandering around a theme park making everyone else's day miserable with their stupidity and attitude.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Tinker Bell wrote: For example in another board there is currently an ongoing thread of someone who clearly did something against park regulations. It wasn't a mistake, it wasn't a misunderstanding, they did something clearly wrong and they knew. What bothers me is that when they got a 'lecture', as they should, by the GR folks. If I'm understanding is correct several ppl are complaining because it was wrong of the CM and she wasn't being a Disney standard CM.

Excuse me?
So what did the idiot do?

MAPO