CDS (or CMs that should be perm-greeting)

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
The Canuck
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: CDS (or CMs that should be perm-greeting)

Post by The Canuck » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:15 am

I remember the on CM I worked with who EVERY time she got a break/bump off/rotation/anything to leave her position she'd walk the long way around the building backstage to take a smoke break. This was about every 30-45 minutes because that's how often we rotated. Sure buggered up everyones day (especially those who's breaks/bump offs she picked up and wasted about 10 minutes bringing to them... always great to get 5 minutes of your 15 minute break).

Epcot ODF: June 20, 2006-July 31, 2006
Mission:SPACE Attraction: August 1, 2006-November 10, 2006
Canada Pavilion Merch: June 19, 2007 - June 13, 2008

GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by GuestJockey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:06 am

They recently moved us plaids onto CDS for no apparent reason other than getting everyone on the same system. We don't rotate. Ever. It's just a nice way to confuse the little old ladies in the phone room who can't figure out the difference between "bump out" and "clock out."

That said, since we've gotta use CDS either way, I wish they'd set up rotations for us. After 4 hours in City Hall, I could really use 30 minutes at the info board so I don't go ballistic and start throwing staplers at people who want comp tickets.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:17 am

GuestJockey wrote: That said, since we've gotta use CDS either way, I wish they'd set up rotations for us. After 4 hours in City Hall, I could really use 30 minutes at the info board so I don't go ballistic and start throwing staplers at people who want comp tickets.
Is that a free stapler AND comp tickets, or just a free stapler? Is the stapler a red Swingline?

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by GuestJockey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:52 pm

ktulu wrote:Is that a free stapler AND comp tickets, or just a free stapler? Is the stapler a red Swingline?
"I'm sorry sir, I cannot offer you comp tickets. My fellow Cast Member has just offered you her stapler."

wicked
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wicked » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:32 am

GuestJockey wrote:"I'm sorry sir, I cannot offer you comp tickets. My fellow Cast Member has just offered you her stapler."

A much better offer I assure you! :)

What is the CDS system? I never had to use it in ODV in DLR?? Rotations? I'm going to WDW Attractions and I'm assuming they'll train me and stuff but anyone wanna give me a heads-up?

Much appreciated.

Trips to Disneyland- 05,06,07,08,08,08-09,10
Trips to WDW- 93,97

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:45 am

wicked wrote:A much better offer I assure you! :)

What is the CDS system? I never had to use it in ODV in DLR?? Rotations? I'm going to WDW Attractions and I'm assuming they'll train me and stuff but anyone wanna give me a heads-up?

Much appreciated.
The Cast Deployment System is a system used for labour recording and deployment in select roles throughout Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Most Hourly Guest Service roles at the Disneyland Resort use it, with the notable exception of Food & Beverage. You've probably seen it, it's the computer located in some breakrooms that people use to Clock In and Clock Out on.

GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by GuestJockey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 pm

glendalais wrote:The Cast Deployment System is a system used for labour recording and deployment in select roles throughout Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Most Hourly Guest Service roles at the Disneyland Resort use it, with the notable exception of Food & Beverage. You've probably seen it, it's the computer located in some breakrooms that people use to Clock In and Clock Out on.
To expand upon the above, when you think of "rotations", think of working a ride. We'll use Jungle for our example: The computer "deploys" you to go drive a boat for 20 minutes, then it rotates the CMs around by sending someone else to "bump" you out of the boat and onto your break. Then when you return from the break, the computer rotates everyone again and you "bump" someone else from unload and sends them to load, and sends that loader into a boat, and sends that skipper onto THEIR break. It's a way of moving people around without scheduling them to work Jungle Cruise unload for the entire 8 hours.

Or, in ODV, imagine working a popcorn cart, then coming back from your 15 and having the time clock tell you, "Thanks for coming back, now you're selling balloons. Go tell Stacey the balloon girl to come back, we're sending her to turkey legs." :)

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Curious? Does Disney,(or whoever), supply hammers for this system? :confused: :rolleyes:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm

Another example of rotation, moving between indoor and outdoor positions in merchandise. In my area we have 2 set rotations so CMs don't stay outside to long. These are usually set to run about every 45 minutes to an hour.

For example: Indoor 1 -> Outdoor 1 -> Indoor 2 -> Outdoor 2, etc.

That's a very simplified example, the main rotation in my area has 9 or 10 positions on it and involves two indoor shops and three outdoor locations.

We don't consider breaks, bump outs, moving someone because another person doesn't have the proficiencies for a certain position, etc. as rotation.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:36 am

Shorty82 wrote:moving someone because another person doesn't have the proficiencies for a certain position, etc. as rotation.
I was told CDS hasn't the thought ability to move CMs who don't have proficiencies, nor can CDS handle med. problems. Leads must go in the CDS via computer & move those with needs around. Shorty, remember when you were @ DLR & I was off? One of the reasons was CDS didn't know what to do with me. Ok, this just opened me up for easy target practice. :eek:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]