CDS (or CMs that should be perm-greeting)

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: CDS (or CMs that should be perm-greeting)

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Shorty82 wrote:CDS: Crappy Deployment System.
Exactly! Could not have been said better Shorty. :hi5:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:47 pm

PhilimusPrime wrote:There's nothing more difficult to my coworkers to correctly locate the cast member they are giving a break or bump out to.

Stupid CM walks up and gives me a break slip for someone else, completely different gender, because it lists the CM in my current position. I told him to go find that person, because most likely a rotation is going around. He finds her, ten minutes later, because he had no idea (having worked in this location for at least a year) the order of the rotation was going in. Really?

So then he leaves that position that he relieved and tells me that he guesses I should go back to the computer to get a new assignment. I asked if he received a rotation slip, because typically the location I was at has the person go back to get a new assignment. He says no. So I sent him back to the position he just relieved - of which I'm sure was on fire or was a complete wreck based on his outstanding level of expertise.
This can happen in non-CDS locations too.

We had a Breaker CM in my area (which is non-CDS), who spent 20 minutes one day trying to find and break the Floorstock CM.

The Floorstock CM is self-breaking, and had already up and left. People told the Breaker (who was admittedly new) this, but they kept looking. This resulted in everyone elses breaks getting backed up.

The clueless will find some way to be so, regardless of technology.

disneyprincess1988
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by disneyprincess1988 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:54 pm

@Indy: I've heard about that time clock thing that used to be in the breakroom. Based on what our fellow Movie Riders have told me, sounds like it worked out really well and a lot better than CDS (Can't Deploy Squat) does right now.

And I'm wondering if it's just me, or if the CDS system I deal with at GMR is a lot better than what I dealt with in QSR. Because I swear while we did not have rotations at Pecos Bills, it would seriously skip over people's breaks at times for bumpouts or assignment pickups. Which resulted in breaks being horrendously behind almost every single day, once almost 2 hours behind.

For Narnia! And for Aslan!

:jasmine: :minnie: :bouncemic :skellingt :gonzo: :pepe:

All of my favorite Disney characters up above there. :p:

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:07 pm

disneyprincess1988 wrote:And I'm wondering if it's just me, or if the CDS system I deal with at GMR is a lot better than what I dealt with in QSR. Because I swear while we did not have rotations at Pecos Bills, it would seriously skip over people's breaks at times for bumpouts or assignment pickups. Which resulted in breaks being horrendously behind almost every single day, once almost 2 hours behind.
That's because bumpouts have a higher priority than breaks do in the queue. This I know for a fact. What I don't know for sure but believe from experience is the case is that assignment pickups also have priority over breaks. I can understand bumpouts having priority (I believe they have the highest priority) I don't understand assignment pickups having it. In my mind it is more important to give the hungry CM who's break is past due their break than it is to bring up another position.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

disneyprincess1988
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by disneyprincess1988 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Shorty82 wrote:That's because bumpouts have a higher priority than breaks do in the queue. This I know for a fact. What I don't know for sure but believe from experience is the case is that assignment pickups also have priority over breaks. I can understand bumpouts having priority (I believe they have the highest priority) I don't understand assignment pickups having it. In my mind it is more important to give the hungry CM who's break is past due their break than it is to bring up another position.
Oh, believe me, I agree on the fact that getting your bumpout should be a high priority. Which brings me to my next point that I forgot to mention in my previous post: CDS would often skip over someone's bumpout too when I was at MK. That itself is truely mind boggling.

For Narnia! And for Aslan!

:jasmine: :minnie: :bouncemic :skellingt :gonzo: :pepe:

All of my favorite Disney characters up above there. :p:

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:10 pm

IndyandMarion wrote:*Kicks chair back, feet up on table* Yeah. The perks to working without CDS running your life.
Well, not all of us can be that lucky ;)
IndyandMarion wrote:Movie Ride, back in the day, used to use CDS for clocking in and out only.

Used to, we had manual rotations (I think Jungle Cruise was the last place to have it, before CDS kicked in). Two rotations all day, started roughly every 20 minutes and you'd just be on it all day. Breaks and lunches were there, but once you got to the "end of the rotation" you'd go on break, then start the cycle all over again.

*New Riders on here, we also had a dispatch clock in the breakroom that was synced with the load clock and (I believe) it also had what set was on dock at the time as well.

While the clock was before my time, I've used manuals there, and it works so much better. None of this guessing where the CM is crap. You KNEW where they where.
I wish we would go back to manual rotations.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:44 pm

One of the reasons I really like working at TL. At least at the Gate area.

We only use CDS to clock in and clock out.

In the morning the coordinator posts a list of everyone's break times.

If assigned to turnstiles that day you are not assigned to a specific turnstile. When break time comes up you look around to make sure there is sufficient coverage and go on break. If not, just wait a few minutes until there is sufficient coverage.

If in a ticket or GS window when break time come around close the window. If there is a line, call in to the coordinator to come out and cut off your line. If we have a spare person to tickets/GS they will come in to your window at break time with their own cash tray, you lock your drawer and log off, and they take over.

And everything works smoothly.

CA Screamin Dude
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Wasn't CDS the system that gave me:

8:45: Clean Pucker Station until 8:48, then return for a new assignment.
8:48: Go-Backs until 8:52, then return for a new assignment.
8:52: Organize Hat Wall until 8:59, then return for a new assignment.
8:59: Break X at Y.
X is already on Break
9:00: Break X at Y.
Don't we tell CDS we're going on break these days anyway?
9:01: Break X at Y.
9:13: Break X at Y.
9:14: Clean Pucker Station until 9:20, then return for a new assignment.
9:20: Go-Backs until 9:25, then return for a new assignment.

And so it continues. Yeah, I know CDS.

Fitswimmer
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Fitswimmer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:55 am

Cheshire Figment wrote:One of the reasons I really like working at TL. At least at the Gate area.

We only use CDS to clock in and clock out.

In the morning the coordinator posts a list of everyone's break times.

If assigned to turnstiles that day you are not assigned to a specific turnstile. When break time comes up you look around to make sure there is sufficient coverage and go on break. If not, just wait a few minutes until there is sufficient coverage.

If in a ticket or GS window when break time come around close the window. If there is a line, call in to the coordinator to come out and cut off your line. If we have a spare person to tickets/GS they will come in to your window at break time with their own cash tray, you lock your drawer and log off, and they take over.

And everything works smoothly.
I love the manual rotation on Slide Ops at TL, it works really well. At break out every morning we get a rotation sheet and you just follow it all day long, moving from stand to stand. From what I'm reading here, I'm VERY lucky not to have to deal with CDS except for clocking in and out.

noflashphoto
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by noflashphoto » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:03 pm

IndyandMarion wrote:Movie Ride, back in the day, used to use CDS for clocking in and out only.

Used to, we had manual rotations (I think Jungle Cruise was the last place to have it, before CDS kicked in). Two rotations all day, started roughly every 20 minutes and you'd just be on it all day. Breaks and lunches were there, but once you got to the "end of the rotation" you'd go on break, then start the cycle all over again.

*New Riders on here, we also had a dispatch clock in the breakroom that was synced with the load clock and (I believe) it also had what set was on dock at the time as well.

While the clock was before my time, I've used manuals there, and it works so much better. None of this guessing where the CM is crap. You KNEW where they where.
I LOVE manual rotations! We had to use them once or twice while I was there (because of course CDS broke) and they are sooo much better! It's a lot more efficient than CDS. I wish CDS never existed at GMR.