CDS (or CMs that should be perm-greeting)

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
PhilimusPrime
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

CDS (or CMs that should be perm-greeting)

Post by PhilimusPrime » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:14 pm

There's nothing more difficult to my coworkers to correctly locate the cast member they are giving a break or bump out to.

Stupid CM walks up and gives me a break slip for someone else, completely different gender, because it lists the CM in my current position. I told him to go find that person, because most likely a rotation is going around. He finds her, ten minutes later, because he had no idea (having worked in this location for at least a year) the order of the rotation was going in. Really?

So then he leaves that position that he relieved and tells me that he guesses I should go back to the computer to get a new assignment. I asked if he received a rotation slip, because typically the location I was at has the person go back to get a new assignment. He says no. So I sent him back to the position he just relieved - of which I'm sure was on fire or was a complete wreck based on his outstanding level of expertise.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: CDS (or CMs that should be perm-greeting)

Post by joanna71985 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Ah, CDS. Gotta love it. :rolleyes:

I do have to say, at times it drives me crazy. I'm still getting used to the rotation/positions at GMR. So there will be times when I get a break for someone, and they aren't there yet (due to a rotation going around). So then it takes me a bit trying to locate them (especially if they are still on a vehicle).

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:45 pm

*Kicks chair back, feet up on table* Yeah. The perks to working without CDS running your life.

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Ah, CDS....

Did I ever tell y'all about the week they tried it on the WDW RR?

Ran up so much overtime they haven't tried it since.

Zazu

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:45 am

CDS: Crappy Deployment System. Until they work the bugs out of it (like that will ever happen) I refuse to call it by its proper name.

Our main rotation is always making people late for their break or bump out. Most of the cast in my area just can't seem to get the concept of going to the person and taking their place on rotation. It is a long rotation (9 or so positions spread around Town Square) and when people hang out talking for a minute or otherwise delay going to their new position it makes it even longer. Some delays are unavoidable, such as when the CM is in the middle of helping a guest. The other delays I mentioned are avoidable. Get the rotation and GO! Nobody really wants to be outside in the heat, cold, or rain but its a part of life in the area and the longer you delay the longer it will be until the next rotation.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 pm

Fortunately, we don't have CDS in buses. We use Magic in Motion (NOT the new system, that has proven that it cannot interface with No Brain). Really works well. All you gotta do is show up at your work location, clock in and report to the coordinator (and in some locations, that's optional) When your name comes up, they assign you a bus, goto the loadzone and break that driver. When its your turn for lunch, break, etc. the coordinator tells you and there is (usually) a breaker there. Repeat above for after break.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Movie Ride, back in the day, used to use CDS for clocking in and out only.

Used to, we had manual rotations (I think Jungle Cruise was the last place to have it, before CDS kicked in). Two rotations all day, started roughly every 20 minutes and you'd just be on it all day. Breaks and lunches were there, but once you got to the "end of the rotation" you'd go on break, then start the cycle all over again.

*New Riders on here, we also had a dispatch clock in the breakroom that was synced with the load clock and (I believe) it also had what set was on dock at the time as well.

While the clock was before my time, I've used manuals there, and it works so much better. None of this guessing where the CM is crap. You KNEW where they where.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:33 pm

IndyandMarion wrote:While the clock was before my time, I've used manuals there, and it works so much better. None of this guessing where the CM is crap. You KNEW where they where.
Always wondered, how does the timing on GMR work for swapping bandits in out etc? Is it as soon as you touch the jewel you go hijack another vehicle?

Kurt

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Check your PMs Kurtis.

Ho-say
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Ho-say » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Makes me really appreciate just using a regular old time clock in Resorts. When I was on front desk, we took our first 1/2 hr three hours into our shift, and then another 1/2 hour three hours after that. We'd put in break times in/out on a huge dry erase board in back office. Cast were scheduled as such that in general, only one or two CMs were breaking at a time....and in general most folks were good about coming back on time (well, almost always..lol).

Now that I'm in DME (magical express), there's only 2-3 of us to begin with, so whoever came in first, goes first and so on. So bumping into a rotation is unfamiliar territory. I was completely turned around the first time I picked up a PAC shift at MK - and even more so at the Studios during the holidays a few years back - since there I had the option of both swiping the timeclock or clocking into CDS :confused:

Those of you using CDS have my sympathy :cool:

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company