Adventures In Fruity Drink Land

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Adventures In Fruity Drink Land

Post by hobie16 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:20 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Just Amazing! Those kids all look like pros in the pics! :biggrin:
I would love to go out there someday, but will definitely need a bigger boat!
We have some pretty good sailors that have definitely improved their sailing skills since we formed the team in April. They're cut throat on the starting line and won't give an inch on the race course unless the rules say they have too. I was talking to one of the girls last week. She said she continually thinks about maneuvering through crowds at school in racing terms and wants to call Starboard! on crossing kids. I love it!

We've got a few kids that are outgrowing the current nine foot boats. We're looking for a 14 footer with main, jib and chute. Possibly a trapeze too. It'll be crewed and run by two kids. It'll be just your size DisneyMom.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:28 pm

First whale watch of the year.

No head lunges or tail slaps today.

Two week old baby on the left, mother's tail in the center.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:08 am

Excellent pix hobie. Not sure how you knew the age of baby whale. I'll ask you sometime. Remind me. Our Dana Point Whale Whatching boats began about 2 weeks ago.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:23 am

All of the whale watch boats have a naturalist on board to offer insights into what we're seeing. The age of the baby was an educated guess based on size.

--- Matt King

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Totally Thrilling! We went out to the Channel Islands on the 7th and were rewarded with a group of playful dolphins followed by a Gray Whale who headed up out of the water to check us out (very close to our boat). On the way back saw a group of more than a hundred Dolphins "stampeding", along with sea lions who made the water all around us look as if it was boiling..WOW! Plan to go again ASAP. :dolphin:

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 am

Loved the top pic Hobie. That is such a peaceful and serene view of nature at its best. In such a fast paced world, I have learned the beauty of what surrounds me. I may not have the privilege of living near the ocean, but I do have mountains, and wildlife near that can be enjoyed. Thanks for the beautiful works you share with us.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

I made a last minute trip to the Mainland to buy a boat in the San Diego area. Finding the seller's home up in the mountains and getting the boat to the Port of San Diego was an adventure in itself. Once the boat was checked in I headed to Anaheim.

Driving in the Greater Los Angeles/San Diego area is a real hoot for someone who's use to Maui speeds. It took a few minutes to get my brain accelerated. Once it was I was cruising at 80 just like everyone else. The funnest thing I saw was two Porsche Carrera 3's racing north on I-5. Those guys were really going at it.

I got checked in to the venerable Candy Cane Inn and headed to the park to meet DisneyMom and her hubby and son for dinner. We went to Tortilla Joe's. It was a real treat as we don't have any good Mexican joints on Maui.

After leaving Joe's we ran into half of Team Bubble Ladies and her husband. I was presented with two bottles of Bubble Ladies Bubbles. I'll use them this Saturday when I've got the junior sailing team out on the water.

We ended up on the La Brea Bakery patio and watched the fireworks. Disney puts on a really good and loud show. Lucky for me the patio is equipped with propane heaters as I was freezing because of my thin Maui blood.

DisneyMom's family and I went into the park the next morning. They were amazed at the wait times. We never saw anything longer than ten minutes all day. We tried Star Tours, Space Mountain, Pirates, Cars Land and Soaring. DisneyMom's son and I went on Soaring while DisneyMom and her hubby went shopping. We scored on Soaring. We were in the middle seating structure and in the middle of the top row. Excellent view!

They had to leave and go back to the real world so I got some warmer clothes on and went back to the park to meet Main Streeter. We met at the Main Street train station. She suggested we ride the train. We took it to Tomorrowland where we boarded the Monorail and scored seats in the front. What a great view.

After the Monorail we took a ride on the Jungle Cruise where we saw a fierce crocodile with a sleeping duck on his head.

MS dragged me into the Bazar saying that I had to buy something for Mrs. Hobie and Mrs. Oh Dean. MS is obviously in retail as she knew where all the cool stuff was and helped me Hoover my wallet.

We headed to Storyteller's Cafe for dinner. It was good food and lots of good conversation. We got back to the buses just in time for the last Candy Cane shuttle.

The flight home was uneventful. It's good to be home.

--- Matt King

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:33 am

hobie16 wrote:I got some warmer clothes on and went back to the park to meet Main Streeter. We met at the Main Street train station. She suggested we ride the train. We took it to Tomorrowland where we boarded the Monorail and scored seats in the front. What a great view.

MS dragged me into the Bazar saying that I had to buy something for Mrs. Hobie and Mrs. Oh Dean. MS is obviously in retail as she knew where all the cool stuff was and helped me Hoover my wallet.

We headed to Storyteller's Cafe for dinner. It was good food and lots of good conversation. We got back to the buses just in time for the last Candy Cane shuttle.It's good to be home.
The Monorail front cab was your idea and a fantastic trip! I am always impressed with the views from The Monorail. This trip will be a forever memory because...as I was riding in the front cab with you, I was txting ktulu. Life just can't get much better. :star: As far as my retail sense hobie, twas only common logic if you were at DisneyLand and went home to the very beautiful Mrs. hobie empty handed and Mrs. Oh Dean,well, you would have been screwed. Let's just say I saved you from unknown fate. :MaryPoppins: hobie, actually you were an E Ticket at Bazar. I chose her size, yet you weren't sure so called her, and then you had no concept how to describe a scoop neck. I've just never shopped with such an intelligent man who was so clueless. Storyteller's and their buttery mashed potatoes. This was heaven! And, you didn't even seem to notice I ate all your desserts. :cakeslice: :strawberry: What a very rare guest you are. :thankyou:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:38 am

So, Hobie, are you heading to the beach to watch the 50' swell?

Sounds like there's some pretty spectacular happenings on the coast.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am

Main Streeter wrote:
hobie16 wrote: The Monorail front cab was your idea and a fantastic trip! I am always impressed with the views from The Monorail. This trip will be a forever memory because...as I was riding in the front cab with you, I was txting ktulu. Life just can't get much better. :star: As far as my retail sense hobie, twas only common logic if you were at DisneyLand and went home to the very beautiful Mrs. hobie empty handed and Mrs. Oh Dean,well, you would have been screwed. Let's just say I saved you from unknown fate. :MaryPoppins: hobie, actually you were an E Ticket at Bazar. I chose her size, yet you weren't sure so called her, and then you had no concept how to describe a scoop neck. I've just never shopped with such an intelligent man who was so clueless. Storyteller's and their buttery mashed potatoes. This was heaven! And, you didn't even seem to notice I ate all your desserts. :cakeslice: :strawberry: What a very rare guest you are. :thankyou:
Say scoop to me and I'm thinkin' either an air inlet assembly or ice cream. Try to get me picking out women's clothes and Clueless is my middle name.

You just think you got all the desserts. I managed to snag one of the cheesecakes.

It was all great fun.

--- Matt King