Crush crushed

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Moonliner
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Crush crushed

Post by Moonliner » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:15 pm

I'm not going to pick on a little kid. Read on knowing that. At 'Turtle Talk with Crush' today, it came time for questions from the kids. Crushed called on a little girl who raised her hand. She said "You know you are not real you are just on the screen". Crush went slack jawed, and said "Dudette, how do you know you're real?" Little girl: "I have blood in me" Crush (feeling his shell with his flippers) "Well, I feel real. My shell is hard. I'm green, too." Little girl: "But you're not real." Crush then diverted the conversation to some laughs with, "I'd like to see her parental units!" (I was hoping he'd say "I sink, therefore I am!")

Our Crush did a very commendable job handling a touchy situation. My question is with the parents. You have to know this little girl isn't suddenly coming to this realization as she watches Crush - somebody put this idea in her head and maybe even put her up to it. I don't blame her - she is too young to fully understand the consequences of her actions. But somebody destroyed the magic for her, and I lay that on her parents. I don't care if you figure out the trick, don't ruin it for others by telling how it is done. It is just as bad as parents who tell their kids within earshot of other kids waiting in line for a character "It's just a person in a suit!"

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Crush crushed

Post by drcorey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:46 pm

Moonliner wrote:I'm not going to pick on a little kid. Read on knowing that. At 'Turtle Talk with Crush' today, it came time for questions from the kids. Crushed called on a little girl who raised her hand. She said "You know you are not real you are just on the screen". Crush went slack jawed, and said "Dudette, how do you know you're real?" Little girl: "I have blood in me" Crush (feeling his shell with his flippers) "Well, I feel real. My shell is hard. I'm green, too." Little girl: "But you're not real." Crush then diverted the conversation to some laughs with, "I'd like to see her parental units!" (I was hoping he'd say "I sink, therefore I am!")

Our Crush did a very commendable job handling a touchy situation. My question is with the parents. You have to know this little girl isn't suddenly coming to this realization as she watches Crush - somebody put this idea in her head and maybe even put her up to it. I don't blame her - she is too young to fully understand the consequences of her actions. But somebody destroyed the magic for her, and I lay that on her parents. I don't care if you figure out the trick, don't ruin it for others by telling how it is done. It is just as bad as parents who tell their kids within earshot of other kids waiting in line for a character "It's just a person in a suit!"
He is as real as the computer he lives on.

Corey

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 pm

I'm sure that the actors that play Crush actually come across the situation more often than not. I remember going to visit Kit the Car at Universal years ago and asking the same questions back then that your little girl asked now. He was very good at answering my questions about his being real. And no I was not coerced into it.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Moonliner wrote:I'm not going to pick on a little kid. Read on knowing that. At 'Turtle Talk with Crush' today, it came time for questions from the kids. Crushed called on a little girl who raised her hand. She said "You know you are not real you are just on the screen". Crush went slack jawed, and said "Dudette, how do you know you're real?" Little girl: "I have blood in me" Crush (feeling his shell with his flippers) "Well, I feel real. My shell is hard. I'm green, too." Little girl: "But you're not real." Crush then diverted the conversation to some laughs with, "I'd like to see her parental units!" (I was hoping he'd say "I sink, therefore I am!")

If it was me, I think I would have to mention the Turing test.

"I got an idea! Let's try a Turing test. Let's find someone and have them talk to us to see if either of us is a machine and not real."

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tinker Bell » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Grrr!!! I hate that, this is by far the easiest way to show me how dense you really are. I had a parent just this week who made a comment about the suit of the characters. It earn him a very big and pointed jab from the wife. Under the pain he corrected himself about how suit is not the correct word is fur, 'just like our dog'. Kids looked back like 'Ohhhh!!' Mom gave him a look of pure murder. I gloated.

I do not understand why in the world do parents feel the need to ruin this for their children, as well as other people children. A character is real from the moment is created, and for the writers they are as real as any person that has blood in his veins. The performers live and breath everything about the characters and from the moment they step into the costume they are that character, and I hate that with a comment so careless and casual someone ruins it.

Shut up, don't force the kid and instead stand on a corner and let him/her watch the character and see that the characters won't hurt them. Breath in and for once learn how to enjoy the view. I especially hate the ones that go TO THE CHARACTER to say it! Folks you really ruin the experience not only for you but for the character too. Keep those mouth shut if you can't play along.

Funny you started this thread, I was thinking today of coming in to rant about this kind of stuff. Lately it's been non stop.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:44 pm

Best story I heard from a Chipmunk:

Kid goes up to Dale and loudly declares, "You're just a person in a chipmunk suit!" Aghast, the offended chipmunk takes the kid's autograph book and writes, "And you are a chipmunk in a person suit!" Mom reads Dale's message to the kid. "No I'm not!" Mother, with a smirk nods, "Oh yes you are!"
Kid: "No I'm NOT!"
Mom and Dale: *nod nod nod*
Kid (who has now burst into tears): "NO I'M NOT!!!"

Can you say, "Way to go mom!"

On the same note:
Earlier this week, a kid asked Minnie if she was a boy or a girl "in there" -- um, yeah ... insult the boss' girlfriend will ya? -- she promptly stomped her foot, stuck her nose in the air and turned her back on the family, then she covered her face and began crying. Almost immediately there were shouts from the brothers and sisters, "No No, he didn't mean it! Really, he didn't mean it!"

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:30 am

Tinker Bell wrote:Grrr!!! I hate that, this is by far the easiest way to show me how dense you really are. I had a parent just this week who made a comment about the suit of the characters. It earn him a very big and pointed jab from the wife. Under the pain he corrected himself about how suit is not the correct word is fur, 'just like our dog'. Kids looked back like 'Ohhhh!!' Mom gave him a look of pure murder. I gloated.

I do not understand why in the world do parents feel the need to ruin this for their children, as well as other people children. A character is real from the moment is created, and for the writers they are as real as any person that has blood in his veins. The performers live and breath everything about the characters and from the moment they step into the costume they are that character, and I hate that with a comment so careless and casual someone ruins it.

Shut up, don't force the kid and instead stand on a corner and let him/her watch the character and see that the characters won't hurt them. Breath in and for once learn how to enjoy the view. I especially hate the ones that go TO THE CHARACTER to say it! Folks you really ruin the experience not only for you but for the character too. Keep those mouth shut if you can't play along.

Funny you started this thread, I was thinking today of coming in to rant about this kind of stuff. Lately it's been non stop.
with the non face charactor I have seen lots of times something wrong with the charactors that the excorts dont offen see. like beast with a leg or foot seam showing. if he is busy with people I just dont walk up to his aid and point out the defect to everyone. I find a exec in the dark jackets that are almost always near by and tell them. I will walk up to one and polightly say, excuse me but one of Beast's seams are showing and point to the area he is in. and I always get a thank you very much.
creatures are always checked out before going on stage, but things happen.
But, it is wrong to yank back the curtian and reveal the magician.
everyone should believe in fantasy, exspecialy kids, thats what imagination is based on. every older people who know how stuff works should still believe once in a while.
someone told me this is why santa never comes anymore. people grew up and told thier kids he was not real. it was people believing in fantasy who build disneyland.

Corey

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:04 am

drcorey wrote:But, it is wrong to yank back the curtian and reveal the magician.
everyone should believe in fantasy, exspecialy kids, thats what imagination is based on. every older people who know how stuff works should still believe once in a while.
I agree!
There is nothing wrong in believing in the fantasy of things, especially when in a Disney park.

Kids should not grow up too fast, and there is nothing wrong with adults going along with the fantasy as well.

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:52 am

Poor Crush. I hope he recovers swiftly from the incident.

Reminded me of an SG story from my 08 trip...we were waiting for Wishes to begin, and when it started the very large, and apparently very drunk (He must've liquered up before coming into the MK) guy next to my wheelchair points at the castle and says, loudly, "Look, it's a guy in tights!"

His equally drunk girlfriend laughed, and he happened to look down at me in my wheelchair (as he nearly landed in my lap several times, he would not step off) and caught my eye and I glared at him. Then, he said it even louder, and I just kinda clutched my forearm crutch and thru gritted teeth, I said "No, that's TIN-KER-BELL!" emphasizing it so he'd realize there were little kids standing there.

He looked at me and laughed as if it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard (further proof he was wasted) but he did shut up.

GAH.

Poor friends of characters. They really go through it.

bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:14 am

Actually, I'm going to cut the kid's parents some slack on this one. Being able to tell what is real from what is not is a real hallmark for a kid's development. And telling others just how smart you are is a big power trip for little kids (they get so few true opportunitites - except for those kids with weak parents that are the whole reason for those Nanny shows - but I digress). You see it all the time when some kid will try and spread the word about Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy. One can only hope that after this Crush show the parents took little Tammy aside and had a discussion about not ruining the magic.