Anyone from Circle D here?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Hawkeye Jennie
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Anyone from Circle D here?

Post by Hawkeye Jennie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Looking to transfer as long as the wait for FT status isn't likely to be more than two years. Also hoping to get an idea of what the interview/training process involves and what the work routine is like on an average day for a ranch hand. :) Warnings, suggestions, anything is welcome info!

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Anyone from Circle D here?

Post by mapo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:28 am

Hawkeye Jennie wrote:Looking to transfer as long as the wait for FT status isn't likely to be more than two years. Also hoping to get an idea of what the interview/training process involves and what the work routine is like on an average day for a ranch hand. :) Warnings, suggestions, anything is welcome info!
Tri Circle D is a highly competitive area to get into at WDW. They have a lot of "came with the dirt" and high seniority people in that area.

Since I am a global cast member, I can truly say that there is no average day any where.

I would refocus and keep an eye out for Animal/Behavioral Services Spotlights. There was one about a year ago to get a pool of candidates. They rarely come up, but spotlights do indicate that they are looking for cast at that time. However, most cast are highly educated in animal care areas with degrees, etc. even for menial roles with our animal cast members.

At one time, when I was looking for a transfer opportunity, there was something on the HUB to process hourly transfer requests. I did notice that one role was listed as "Cowboy/Cowgirl". I do not know if this link still exists on the HUB. I think it was under the Work tab.

Good luck.

MAPO

Hawkeye Jennie
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Hawkeye Jennie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:58 am

I have a degree in animal husbandry, a lot of experience working with horses and some experience with exotics like wolves and birds of prey. My intent was to work for a zoo or wildlife park but I'm stuck in So Cal where the closest decent zoo is 1 1/2 - 2 hours away so...yeah...I decided to do the next best thing in my book. Anyhoo I should have been specific in my post: I was referring to Disneyland Anaheim's Circle D. :D: They recently lost a chunk of staff and are indeed looking for transfers (they always prefer to hire from within, it seems.) I have already discussed this with their management and they asked me to apply asap.

This means trading up my lazy, comfortable job pushing buttons in fantasyland for 6 am shifts that involve a lot of hard physical - and dirty! - work so I'm still on a fence about it. But animal work is in my blood, or so it seems sometimes (my mother, grandmother and husband are/were all in animal-based businesses and avid horseback riders, to boot) and that's what my education prepared me for. And hey, with the sudden staff shortage the wait for FT status in our Circle D is now less than it is for Attractions. :eek: and I need that status!

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Hawkeye Jennie wrote:I have a degree in animal husbandry, a lot of experience working with horses and some experience with exotics like wolves and birds of prey. My intent was to work for a zoo or wildlife park but I'm stuck in So Cal where the closest decent zoo is 1 1/2 - 2 hours away so...yeah...I decided to do the next best thing in my book. Anyhoo I should have been specific in my post: I was referring to Disneyland Anaheim's Circle D. :D: They recently lost a chunk of staff and are indeed looking for transfers (they always prefer to hire from within, it seems.) I have already discussed this with their management and they asked me to apply asap.

This means trading up my lazy, comfortable job pushing buttons in fantasyland for 6 am shifts that involve a lot of hard physical - and dirty! - work so I'm still on a fence about it. But animal work is in my blood, or so it seems sometimes (my mother, grandmother and husband are/were all in animal-based businesses and avid horseback riders, to boot) and that's what my education prepared me for. And hey, with the sudden staff shortage the wait for FT status in our Circle D is now less than it is for Attractions. :eek: and I need that status!
Birds of Prey?
Can you guys do something about those food stealing seagulls?
They like almost anything they can do the old grab and fly thing.
I have shared my food with some of the animals, but they beg for it.
p.s. the ground squirrels love fries. but so do the ducks too.

Corey