Not Disney! ARGH!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Not Disney! ARGH!

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:09 am

I just started working at a regional theme park on a really cool roller coaster. I am excited to be working in a theme park again and excited to be working a coaster. I knew it wouldn't be Disney, but I guess I didn't realize how difficult of a switch it would be.

Whereas at Disney I would probably be one of the youngest, I almost feel like an old hag! Most of the kids I work with are just graduated from high school. I see so many things that would not fly at Disney. I am pretty straight laced, I will admit it. I believe that you can have a lot of fun doing your job the way it is meant to be done. Please don't get me wrong, I really do love my job and my coworkers but I get very frustrated sometimes.

Tonight was one of those nights. We had a guest get off stating that their harness popped open and she had to hold it open. I asked her to show me the seat. We didn't seat anybody there and called a supervisor and maintenance. Maintenance told us to down the ride until they could check it out. They checked it out, of course it was fine. What we figure happened is her harness was between notches, when that happens they naturally move a bit. She probably just freaked and overreacted. We were pretty sure that was the issue from the get go.

BUT... Am I willing to stake another guest's life on that without checking it out? No. Several of my coworkers gave me a really hard time about it. Telling me I was overreacting, making comments like "we're already staying til one, why not make it two?" (We were close to the end of hte night with a full queue.) At least my supervisor and the more seasoned employees said that I did the right thing, but I still felt bad that several people were pissed off.

I know it's not Disney, but I have the mantra in my head, "SAFETY, courtesy, show, efficiency." I refuse to be like Six Flags which dispatched Superman Tower of Power as guests were screaming at them that a cable had detached. I have seen ride units where a lap bar malfunctioned. People don't realize these are MACHINES, built and maintained by fallible humans. They can and do fail. I don't want to be that person who when a guest is injured on my ride has to say, "Oh yeah, somebody told us about that but we thought it couldn't happen on our ride and they were wrong." Grrr.

Whew, I feel better now! Like I said, the people I work with are very nice. I just wish sometimes they were more professional.

Petite and Proud!

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Not Disney! ARGH!

Post by CujoSR » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:16 am

Next time tell them to shut their yaps and do their jobs or take it to management. Seriously, who do you think the bosses will side with?

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:31 pm

EeyoresButterfly wrote:People don't realize these are MACHINES, built and maintained by fallible humans. They can and do fail.
And, stuff wears out. It's the law.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Don't let it get to you. Safety should always come first. If they persist, I would tell them to shut it.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

disneyprincess1988
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by disneyprincess1988 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:29 am

Oh, wow. They aren't that concerned about guest safety? That is really frightening. It makes me grateful to know that I work for a company that honestly and truly cares about safety all around.

For Narnia! And for Aslan!

:jasmine: :minnie: :bouncemic :skellingt :gonzo: :pepe:

All of my favorite Disney characters up above there. :p:

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Really, the vast majority do. It was only two people giving me grief, everybody else said I did exactly the right thing (including maintenance, my lead, and my supervisor). But it was frustrating for those two to be haranguing me about it.

Petite and Proud!

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Good for you. You did the right thing. 99 percent of the time it will turn out to be no problem. But who wants to take that risk that it's that 1 percent and could cost someone's life?

I think Bollinger & Mallibard had the best idea ever when they added seat belts to their shoulder harnesses. Such a simple thing, yet it could save a life if the harness lock failed.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

Driver_dylan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Driver_dylan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:37 pm

CujoSR wrote:Next time tell them to shut their yaps and do their jobs or take it to management. Seriously, who do you think the bosses will side with?
Unfortunatly, If you work at universal, they side with the group. Most of the coaster management there is stupid, barely trained, and barely competent. Do your best, and buy lots of TUMS for the indigestion.

VISA. It's everywhere you want to be, and a lot of places you don't.

DockMaster09
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by DockMaster09 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:32 am

You DID do the right thing! No doubt Fantasyland Attractions definitely embeds Guest Safety into your skull. Way to represent!!

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Syndrome wrote:Good for you. You did the right thing. 99 percent of the time it will turn out to be no problem. But who wants to take that risk that it's that 1 percent and could cost someone's life?

I think Bollinger & Mallibard had the best idea ever when they added seat belts to their shoulder harnesses. Such a simple thing, yet it could save a life if the harness lock failed.
Yep! We have the seatbelts as well although our other looping coaster (not an inverted) does not. I love the idea of our seatbelts. Actually, other than the coaster of doom that every worker wants destroyed all of our coasters have both a lap bar or harness, and a seatbelt for added protection.

Petite and Proud!