Stupid new hires

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Stupid new hires

Post by SpaceRanger » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:49 am

I know that I SHOULD be way nicer to the new hires cuz we were all one once too, blah blah blah... but I SWEAR they are getting stupider. Now it seems like you don't even have to know how to breathe to get a job there.

I was supposed to just have a nice normal counter shift. I'm on counter for a while, when they decide they're gonna have me train people at the same time. Sure, why not. I really have no patience tho, I shouldn't be training people, honest. Well, then they decide that I'll also be covering for a lead at the same time. Whatever. Then they tell me they need me to extend and close. That ticked me off... there were lots of new hires that could have extended... wtf happened to senority? They said the new hires didn't want to stay and none of them knew how to close. SO? They've gotta learn sometime. It got pretty crazy today, but surprisingly it was even crazier AFTER we closed.

After I came back from my first break we closed half of the place. I got the joy of doing that all by myself. But I was nice about it and figured it's fine, since I don't have to put up with the new hires. It took me longer than I should have, cuz new hires kept coming to me "can you help me with..." "can you show me how..." "I don't know..." ... Most of the things they needed were something they could have just asked the person next to them about. Most of the things were things they should remember how to do, or at least be able to figure out on their own. I finally get done closing that, then we close another little section so I can teach a group of new hires how to close. Since we have a good 3/5ths of the place already closed, I figured GREAT, I have to close but we'll be out early anyway! I then stocked a bunch of stuff and took my lunch.

I come back from my lunch and go back on register for a few more minutes... since I got all my breaks late I still had another to get and we didn't have long before we closed. I got the lines down then preclosed the rest of the place cuz I was really hopeful about going home early. Then I counted out early, my theory was I could count out before the other cashiers and go on my break, come back up when we were closed and start cleaning while all of them were counting out. Then we prolly would have been out early.

But that's too simple... Takes me a good half hour to count out, cuz I have to teach a bunch of new hires how to do it too. By the time I'm done, they should have closed the place, but hadn't, so I had to go out and close off the lines. There are only THREE people in the line, one of which they had already helped. It took them friggin FIFTEEN MINUTES to finish getting thru those two other guests. Do you have any idea how many people can come up to you in that amount of time and tell you about what a big b*tch you are cuz you won't let them in the line and they came all the way from... just to come and eat at.... and you won't let them order just a bottle of water because you're already late with closing and if you let one person order you'll end up having to let 20 more? There's no reason it should take you that long to get thru two people. It's not like they ordered a lot or anything either. The new hires on register just were soooooo slow!

I FINALLY get my last break... by the time I come up SOMEONE should have been done counting out... nope. So I start closing the rest of the place by myself. Then one of the people who has been working there for about a year gets done, but he never works so he goes off and does whatever the hell he did. I figure no problem, the new hires will be done soon... soon... any time now... it took them OVER AN HOUR to count out. Come on, it does NOT take that long, even if you have no clue what you are doing, it does not take that long. Then I made a comment about how can it take you that long to count out, and one of them walked up behind me then, and he gets all touchy about how it wasn't an hour, just "50, 55 minutes MAX"... :roll: Whatever, fine, it took you 50 minutes to count out, great... from now on you'll only get 20. He didn't wanna drop it tho and kept following me around commenting on it. Then, the other new hire, decided that by the time he was done counting out, it was time for him to walk, so he just leaves... when you're closing, you do NOT leave until the place is closed. If he would have checked out with a lead before he left, he would have known that.

Sorry.... the new hires really gave me a headache today. I'm sure it's karma biting me in the butt for all the trouble I've caused there in the past. I know not all new hires are bad, I've been getting to know a few of them, and some of them are pretty dang cool. But then others have a tendency to just get in the way... ugh, why do I feel like this is going to be a veeeeeeeeeeery very long week?

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

Famif
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Famif » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:38 am

I would have looked around, spotting the highest ledge on a building, climbing up there, and just jumping. . .

- Okami, Maiku-kun
- Kouga

Weeble
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Weeble » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:55 pm

That's when you gotta take the reigns. They asked you to train, cover for a lead and close the place? That pretty much leaves you in charge. The jackass that's been there a year but disappeared, haul his ass back in and delegate something to him. The new hire that just walked off? Uh-uh charlie, you leave when I say so.

I'd be asking for something from management for your hard work such as lead or at least trainer pay for the shift. at the very least mention it so they realize you put out for them.

Comedian and Writer
http://www.alfredmuller.com

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Wizard69 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:04 pm

Fuck the new hires. They get fucking 8 hour shifts and we get crap 4-6 hour shifts and if we're lucky 7 or 7 1/2 hour shifts. And there are NO open shifts to swap locations or pick up hours anymore. FUCK THE NEW HIRES! When I hired in, we got one shift of 5 hours (2 weeks AFTER OJT, nothing before) which then lead to two 5 hour shifts (one on Sunday and the other on Friday or Saturday) after a month to a month and a half. Eventually getting 3-4 days a week.

And, I'm not the only one who thinks "FUCK THE NEW HIRES and scheduling"

Dalisair
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Dalisair » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:10 am

Wizard69 wrote:Fuck the new hires. They get fucking 8 hour shifts and we get crap 4-6 hour shifts and if we're lucky 7 or 7 1/2 hour shifts. And there are NO open shifts to swap locations or pick up hours anymore. FUCK THE NEW HIRES! When I hired in, we got one shift of 5 hours (2 weeks AFTER OJT, nothing before) which then lead to two 5 hour shifts (one on Sunday and the other on Friday or Saturday) after a month to a month and a half. Eventually getting 3-4 days a week.

And, I'm not the only one who thinks "FUCK THE NEW HIRES and scheduling"
I can tell you, it's not that way everywhere. Yes, my core training days are 7.5 hours, but right after those (before I even started them) my hours fall to 4 hour shifts, if at all. And I am working Fri, Sats and Suns when I do get shifts.

Of course, if there was some kind of math test before you were allowed to handle money... lol 50 minutes??!?!?! My gods, even my retarded cousin could do it in less time!

Common sense is obviously not so common anymore. It's not new hires you should complain aobut, just stupid people in general...

And you should have seen what some of these people have been wearing lately to apply for jobs / be interviewed.

soarin1
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Location: Soarin' Over California, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Ca Screamin', The Sunwheel, Mania!!!!

New F@$%ing Hires

Post by soarin1 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:05 pm

They are soo irrataing i hate the fact that when i hired in all i got was twenty hours a week of group shifts (which i wasnt garunteed any hours) bullshit, but then a month after i hired in a new group of newbies hired in and they were pulling 30 hours a week of actual shifts, what the FUCK happened to seniorty :twisted: anyway im past that stage but im still not getting any fucking hours, this is bullshit, thanx scheduling dick wads... :evil:

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: New F@$%ing Hires

Post by GMC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:29 am

soarin1 wrote:They are soo irrataing i hate the fact that when i hired in all i got was twenty hours a week of group shifts (which i wasnt garunteed any hours) bullshit, but then a month after i hired in a new group of newbies hired in and they were pulling 30 hours a week of actual shifts, what the FUCK happened to seniorty :twisted: anyway im past that stage but im still not getting any fucking hours, this is bullshit, thanx scheduling dick wads... :evil:
did it ever occur to any of you that maybe staffing just might be bad right now, :throw: or that the new hires have better availability, and have better preferances suiting the staffing needs of your area scheduler? :throw: maybe ya'll just need to change what you've got on your preference sheets. :!:

One thing is for sure, complaining about it, and using foul language only makes ya'll sound stupid! i know i'm guilty complainign and cursing, but if you want more hours, pissing and moaning to the people here ain't going to get anything accomplished, do yourselves a favor, and march you're snooty little hindquarter over to main scheduleing (it's at Harbor Pointe, ya'know not to far from where just about EVERYONE clocks in) and figure out which one of the pole in there is your scheduler(i'll give you a hint attractions' are in the way back!) and calmy discuss the situation with them, hell, maybe it can be done even easier, this one might be a little shady, i don't know for sure, but call a manager, if you do it in the park, it only takes four 1234, buttons on the phone (most of the time) also, maybe you can "call" youre schedular ( your manager, working lead, or stage scheduler should be able to help you out with it!

:evil: if that's too hard quit and go live in a box and leave us new F@$%ing hires alone! :evil:

Gimme some soft serve!

abc
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by abc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:25 am

Yeah I agree about people whining and moaning about getting less hours with more seniority when they choose something that needs high seniority to get good shifts as their most important scheduling concern. Change it to weekly hours most important and have adequate availability and by the next schedule made you'll be back to where you should be seniority wise.

soarin1
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Location: Soarin' Over California, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Ca Screamin', The Sunwheel, Mania!!!!

Re: New F@$%ing Hires

Post by soarin1 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:13 pm

That's very true but i am fully available and have no restiricions on my preference sheets, so what now, and its been like that since i hired in, and i have gone to talk to both mangers and my production schedulers and still the same SHITY hours so what do you have for me now, nothing at all... :twisted: PLUS i know mutiple attractions i thought that when you get crossed trained that you are able to get more hours i guess not... :hammer: :throw:

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:04 pm

Talk to a union rep? do you have A/B, Lead or Trainer Knowlege, i don't know if that'll have any effect, and how long ago did you talk to your/lead scheduler? Maybe they just haven't updated, or had a chance to take action...

Gimme some soft serve!