This birdie's trying her wings....

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

This birdie's trying her wings....

Post by felinefan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Okay, this could be considered an update to My Mom Passed Away. For those of you unaware, I've moved into a room in a house owned by a sweet Vietnamese couple. I recently got my cat Tripod to the vet's for vaccinations, bloodwork for her thyroid issue, and a refill on her meds. A friend of mine from Cats in Need took a day off work to take me there and back, and another friend paid for the pills. I paid for the shots and bloodwork. But costs have risen; I had so much of the money I had set aside, and had to add to it. I'm currently down to less than $3. Not counting the pennies I pick up or the quarters Mom left me. My sister will send me $200 cash every month for food, but there's a few things I need for my room.

I also started going to church again, first time in 6 years. I want to get rid of my old table lamp, which has a problem with the switch. I'm afraid one of these days it's going to catch fire or something. Yesterday I was browsing in Target and saw a nice floor lamp for $9, but I didn't check to see if that was the sale price or regular.

My landlady says she will get me cable and internet, but didn't say when. I hope to get my stuff sorted through, take into my room what I will use for the next 1 1/2 years (how long my inheritance is expected to last), and everything else stored in the garage.

But the most important thing is that I went to the Santa Ana WORK Center, and I've decided to pursue a career as a medical biller/coder. I've taken the mandatory resume' class, next step in my action plan is to meet with the employment training team. I just emailed the resume' class leader asking when that's going to happen, and other questions. Medical billing and coding is recession-proof, and starting pay is about $13/hr. Like Churchy once told me, little birdie, start to fly. Well, I'm testing my wings, and hope to be flying soon. Hope I don't have any hard landings.

Notatourist
In our Memory
In our Memory

Re: This birdie's trying her wings....

Post by Notatourist » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Taking a large fan to help little birdie fly... :)

GO! You can do it!

I'm not a tourist cause I work there...

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Good work, Felinefan. That's a huge step in the right direction. Best of luck to you.

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:11 pm

I was wondering how you and Tripod were doing. I'm sure that if the little birdie has a few ups and downs at the beginning, it won't be long before she's soaring!

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 am

If you get desperate let me know but I do have a broom to use on a birdie to help it fly. I am so proud of you and hope you can get things straightened out and fly like birdies should. I am not going to flap your wings or hold you over my head while pretending you can fly. As for the lamp it may be able to be fixed. I have one of them $10 pole lamps and it is messed up but works, lol.

hgus
proud of my birdie
Laurie

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:34 am

Sounds like a great plan :)
Didn't you say there was a Trader Joe's nearby as well? My son said cashier positions there pay about $13.00 an hour....I don't know if that is true, but it might be worth checking in to while you are taking training ;)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:07 am

Great job Feline. It's hard to get out there, but sometimes the hardest step is the first one out the door. I think you've made a great choice for career. My brother's a DR. and those billing folks are hugely important to his business. Good luck. :D:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:11 am

Fly away Felinefan, be free!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:32 pm

I hated that lamp anyway--got the new one, plus an over the door shoe rack, and a 6 shelf closet organizer. Plus a couple of little blue ice thingies to keep Tripod's food cool in the insulated bag--I don't want to have to go downstairs at 5-6 in the morning to feed her--plus a couple of 3 way bulbs for the lamp. Went through the suitcases in my room, got the bedframe from the backyard, so now I have under the bed storage space! Put the stuff I don't need in the garage. Discovered a slight moving casualty--a bottle of real vanilla I bought when I lived in Azusa--$8.49 for a pint bottle. Some of it leaked out, it was wrapped in paper towels, so no major damage. Nice smelling box, though! I just want to search for my glass measuring cup as well as a few books in the garage, but can do that next week.

Santa Ana WORK says next time I come by, I can ask about the training program as well as grants--the person who helped me with the resume' didn't have that info.

I checked Trader Joe's--they say they aren't hiring right now. Rite Aid is one of the companies not expected to survive this year. Could try Target....

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Just keep flapping, Felinefan! just keep flapping!!!!!!

big hugs
bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane