Absolutely Furious!!!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Absolutely Furious!!!

Post by mapo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:46 pm

sandicinderelli wrote:I feel your pain, but the reason why they would not let you transfer to Bay Lake is because you actually have to go to DVC training at Disney University to be at any DVC resort. Casting said that there weren't any positions for Front Desk at all for a while. I don't think that they were picking on you, they were just trying to fill Bay Lake with people who already have DVC training.

I should know - one of our FSAs went to Bay Lake.

Please don't take it the wrong way, but that's the business right now. I've asked to retrain on Turnstiles recently (because I trained Turnstiles on my CP) and they said no. So I guess it's "Worldwide".
Working the desk at a DVC resort is just another world, those guests are a piece of work with points and money to contend with in addition to how hard they are selling the exclusivity thing. Oh and every new property or attraction pulls from the experienced and highly recommended. Rarely would someone new to a role get to play at a new resort/attraction/park while it is considered NEW.

As for getting Cross U training, well it has always been tough. Your non statused location has to front the money for training and your statused location has to release you for X time. Since they are trying to keep us all employed while we go thru this downturn (AGAIN), they are keeping the budget close at hand.

You keep your training current by doing EHH every few months. This keeps you sharp and reminds the leaders in the area that you are a proven quantity.

MAPO

sandicinderelli
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by sandicinderelli » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:51 pm

mapo wrote:As for getting Cross U training, well it has always been tough. Your non statused location has to front the money for training and your statused location has to release you for X time. Since they are trying to keep us all employed while we go thru this downturn (AGAIN), they are keeping the budget close at hand.

You keep your training current by doing EHH every few months. This keeps you sharp and reminds the leaders in the area that you are a proven quantity.

MAPO
Very enlightening! That's good to know. I guess I'll just keep working those PAC shifts. Lord knows there's been a WHOLE lot of changes in the past year...

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Walt Disney World - January 26-29, 2008 - Pop Century * Walt Disney World - March 23-29, 2008 - Offsite [/font]
[font="Palatino Linotype"]Walt Disney World - June 16-18, 2008 - Caribbean Beach * Sista Vacation - May 27-June 3, 2009 * [/font]

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 pm

sandicinderelli wrote:I feel your pain, but the reason why they would not let you transfer to Bay Lake is because you actually have to go to DVC training at Disney University to be at any DVC resort. Casting said that there weren't any positions for Front Desk at all for a while. I don't think that they were picking on you, they were just trying to fill Bay Lake with people who already have DVC training.

I should know - one of our FSAs went to Bay Lake.
Actually, *nobody* has gone to Front Desk at Bay Lake -- there *is* no front desk there. Guests check in at the main Contemporary desk. Heck, I work there and I can't even get *into* BLT!

But put in a transfer request and be patient. There's always turnover, and some here won't be able to keep up with the DVC guests and new software (the latter is about all I can handle).

So far, I have to say the DVC guests aren't a bit problem. They are chatty, but then so am I. They've proven to be less trouble than the convention guests who show up by the hundreds at 5:02 and expect me to get them a California Grill table for "eight to twenty" at 5:05.

Zazu

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Zazu,

When you work with Disney, I believe you have to have been working there for over 6 months and have nothing on your record. If there are several points or a written, the managers won't let you advance. I have heard that you have to have a clean record. Is this true?

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Zazu wrote:Actually, *nobody* has gone to Front Desk at Bay Lake -- there *is* no front desk there. Guests check in at the main Contemporary desk. Heck, I work there and I can't even get *into* BLT!
Why, you just walk across the skybridge behind someone.

Kurt

sandicinderelli
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by sandicinderelli » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:23 pm

Zazu wrote:Actually, *nobody* has gone to Front Desk at Bay Lake -- there *is* no front desk there. Guests check in at the main Contemporary desk. Heck, I work there and I can't even get *into* BLT!
With all due respect, I did not say "Front Desk at Bay Lake". I only said "Bay Lake" as to reference to portion of the resort that the CMs are servicing. Thank you.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Walt Disney World - January 26-29, 2008 - Pop Century * Walt Disney World - March 23-29, 2008 - Offsite [/font]
[font="Palatino Linotype"]Walt Disney World - June 16-18, 2008 - Caribbean Beach * Sista Vacation - May 27-June 3, 2009 * [/font]

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:14 pm

mapo wrote:Oh and every new property or attraction pulls from the experienced and highly recommended. Rarely would someone new to a role get to play at a new resort/attraction/park while it is considered NEW.
If anyone gets an offer to work at Ko Olina when it opens, or ever for that matter, think twice. Unless they're offering a salary increase to offset the cost of housing and food, don't do it. The cost of living here is, to put it mildly, Gawd Awful!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:34 pm

hobie16 wrote:If anyone gets an offer to work at Ko Olina when it opens, or ever for that matter, think twice. Unless they're offering a salary increase to offset the cost of housing and food, don't do it. The cost of living here is, to put it mildly, Gawd Awful!
hobie is right on the $$. I was stuck at the Honolulu Airport hotel for 2dys over 25yrs ago. (shoulda grabbed a bus schedule :( ) A hamburger was like $6-7.00. :eek: Only hit the hotel bar at 'happy hour'. :rolleyes:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:19 am

darph nader wrote:hobie is right on the $$. I was stuck at the Honolulu Airport hotel for 2dys over 25yrs ago. (shoulda grabbed a bus schedule :( ) A hamburger was like $6-7.00. :eek: Only hit the hotel bar at 'happy hour'. :rolleyes:
I thought the only lodging at the Honolulu airport was the federal detention center. :eek:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:35 am

hobie16 wrote:I thought the only lodging at the Honolulu airport was the federal detention center. :eek:
Why do you think Darph was stuck there?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1