Absolutely Furious!!!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Absolutely Furious!!!

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:00 pm

I agree, if you can weather the storm for now, things arel bound to get much better.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:51 pm

And if you really do think you need to quit, here's something to try: Ask for a 30 day personal leave. Because everyone is trying to trim hours, I should think you'd have a pretty good chance of getting it.

You then have 30 days to clear your mind, update your resume, and hit the streets. Use it!

At the end of the month, you may have a new job, in which case you can terminate Disney on good terms; or you may have a view of the job market that's bleaker than your present position, and decide that trying to wait it out is a better option.

In any event, try not to burn bridges, and make sure you have some place to land before you jump.

And be sure to check with your shop steward or union rep -- they may have some ideas we don't.

Zazu

CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by CMGUY89 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone. I just was having a bad day yesterday. Today was much better. That was just kinda a brass ring I was reaching for. I am going to continue to network and hopefully if nothing else maybe I can work at lounge or be a themed greeter.

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...

Elena (aka: Bubble Lady)
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Elena (aka: Bubble Lady) » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:44 am

CMGUY89 wrote:Thanks everyone. I just was having a bad day yesterday. Today was much better. That was just kinda a brass ring I was reaching for. I am going to continue to network and hopefully if nothing else maybe I can work at lounge or be a themed greeter.
[font="Palatino Linotype"]that's the spirit! i only met you for a short time, but i know you're no quitter...disney is in your blood...ride this time out...things are bound to get better...

but do listen carefully to zazu's advice...he's one wise bird
[/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype]YOU AIN'T NEVER HAD A FRIEND LIKE ME! [/font] :genie2::bubble::iguana:

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Not trying to sound Pollyannish, but if you consistently work hard and give your job your very best, the brass can't help but notice, and who knows? Maybe the payoff will be a plum position. And yes, we all have bad days. Even when I worked at Knott's, I actually did manage to have a few good days, but most days were crap. You are fortunate to work for Disney, which beats the heck out of working for Knott's/Cedar Fair!

DDuckLover
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by DDuckLover » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. :)

Hang in there. You're a wonderful person who works hard. Things will start looking up soon. Also, it was nice to see you at MGM (DHS, ugh) the other week! :)
CMGUY89 wrote:Thanks everyone. I just was having a bad day yesterday. Today was much better. That was just kinda a brass ring I was reaching for. I am going to continue to network and hopefully if nothing else maybe I can work at lounge or be a themed greeter.

[font="Tahoma"]"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi
[/font]

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:49 am

Keep in mind, also, that you don't work for Disney for Disney. They could care less. Makes it nice, then that you work for Disney for you and your guests. Disney allows you to interact with the guests in a special way, in return for doing it in their name. That kind of thinking is how I keep my sanity sometimes.

Stay where you are, and network like crazy. That's one of the things I did coming into Monorails. If you go to Casting after they open things back up and know all about the area you're wanting to go into, they can figure out a way to get you into that area. In fact, when I was transferring to Monorails, the person at Casting was searching to try to find a way to get me into the department today because of my attitude.

When you need to talk and vent, I believe you have my number. Use it.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

ectomstr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ectomstr » Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 pm

(know it's old but...)

I'm in a similar situation.

When i joined Disney I was given two options: dish washer or laundry. I was told dish-washer was easier to get into so I (reluctantly) took it. I really didn't want to but Disney backed me into a corner about it. why? Because my of my teeth. I was born with multiple birth defects one being my teeth the other being the fact that I now have to use a prosthetic to walk around.

I have been on a list to get out of dishwashing since last June and since then I have had my computerized knee unit go out on me 3 times due to, ready for this, WATER damage.

Huh, who'd a thunk that working with a sensitive piece of "equipment" in a very watery work area would, eventually, become disabled. Not like I said something like this 2 years ago...oh, wait.

So now, with surgery pending for repairing my teeth so that I may be show ready, I'm using a different unit (no computer) which is basically affecting my walking habits.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue May 12, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm reminded of someone I used to work with at Safari, who would get in trouble once in a while when it got too sunny (I know, rare in Florida), because her hair would naturally turn purple. I mean deep, I've-been-out-clubbing-all-night-and-dyed-my-hair-just-for-the-occasion-and-oops-it-didn't-wash-out purple.

Good luck with your teeth, ecto. It sounds like you have what it takes in personality to be a frontline Cast Member. You certainly have the ability to stay with something that is less than enjoyable. Keep us updated.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

sandicinderelli
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by sandicinderelli » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:11 pm

CMGUY89 wrote:I decided that I want to apply for the new Bay Lake Tower only now casting is making the stipulation that in order to apply for a front office you must have previously worked in that role at a DVC resort. I am livid! I find it absolutely unfair that I am singled out because I am not one of the front desk jocks.
I feel your pain, but the reason why they would not let you transfer to Bay Lake is because you actually have to go to DVC training at Disney University to be at any DVC resort. Casting said that there weren't any positions for Front Desk at all for a while. I don't think that they were picking on you, they were just trying to fill Bay Lake with people who already have DVC training.

I should know - one of our FSAs went to Bay Lake.

Please don't take it the wrong way, but that's the business right now. I've asked to retrain on Turnstiles recently (because I trained Turnstiles on my CP) and they said no. So I guess it's "Worldwide".

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Walt Disney World - January 26-29, 2008 - Pop Century * Walt Disney World - March 23-29, 2008 - Offsite [/font]
[font="Palatino Linotype"]Walt Disney World - June 16-18, 2008 - Caribbean Beach * Sista Vacation - May 27-June 3, 2009 * [/font]