Phase 4 Closings in WDW

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Phase 4 Closings in WDW

Post by Monorail_Red » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Did I hear correctly that the MK has a Phase 4 closing today & yesterday? :eek:

I was going to be down there next week, and now I'm happy that I'm far far way from all that...until August! :D:

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Re: Phase 4 Closings in WDW

Post by ktulu » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Monorail_Red wrote:Did I hear correctly that the MK has a Phase 4 closing today & yesterday? :eek:

I was going to be down there next week, and now I'm happy that I'm far far way from all that...until August! :D:
What is that? We're going in June...*shudder*

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Monorail_Red » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Phase 4 = CLOSED to ALL guests...resort guests AND pass holders...you might see a Phase 1 or 2 around New Years or the 4th...I mean I know that it's spring break but I never heard about a Phase 4 in April. I was down there this time 2yrs ago, crowds weren't bad at all. I guess attendence will break records next week...

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Good times...

I did a phase 4 closing on our bathroom here at the office. I even put the orange traffic cone in front of the door.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:26 pm

I have always wondered, how do the closings work? Do they stop loading the monorail? Are people standing in some line at the gate waiting for people to leave?

Kurt

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Monorail_Red » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:I have always wondered, how do the closings work? Do they stop loading the monorail? Are people standing in some line at the gate waiting for people to leave?
I was wondering the same thing. I would assume that for a Phase 4 they would have cut off outside guest flow from the Express Monorail & Ferries at a Phase 1 or 2 long before it got to a Phase 4.

Last August when I was down there...one afternoon, the MK was packed and I decided just to rent a Sea Racer...I noticed that Monorail Silver was parked in the MK station and didn't move the whole time until I was about to head in. It must have been shut down because the strobe lights weren't going. I saw it about 20min before I got on the Sea Racer, I was on the resort monorail and the headlight was out. So maybe they had a Phase 1 that day where they suspended the Express Monorail to cut off outside guest flow?

Regards,
Monorail_Red

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:57 pm

It sounds like your parks are more full. We will see more crowds later. I was there yesterday and Disneyland was not to bad. We try to get there early and ride the rides with the shortest lines. When it is crowded, we go and hang out at DTD. Then we hang out at White Waters Cafe. :)

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:32 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we had Phase 4 closings yesterday. I worked and the park was PACKED. I had to go from behind the Confectionery to the Firehouse at 12:15 yesterday and had a hard time getting there. Smackdab in the middle of parade so there were guests everywhere. PAC was doing a good job at keeping the walkway in front of Exposition Hall open but when I turned to go along the train station I got into a mass of people and had a hard time getting through but finally got there.

After the parade navigating the crowds wasn't as bad but still hard (only got easier because the crowds could now be on the street and not just the sidewalks).

I'm off today and haven't gone anywhere near property but I wouldn't be surprised if the park reached capacity again today.

Googling to find out what each of the phased closings entails found me a thread on another board talking about Phase 4 closings at the MK yesterday.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Monorail_Red » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Googling to find out what each of the phased closings entails found me a thread on another board talking about Phase 4 closings at the MK yesterday.
I'm reading through that one now. Haven't heard anything about today yet.

Regards,
Monorail_Red

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:43 pm

From what I can find on the Hub the MK did close for a while today and reopened at about 2:30pm. Nothing is mentioned about what phase closing level they reached today. There are no phase closings in effect at this time.

Here's an explanation of the phase closings and how they work I found on the Hub (doesn't contain any proprietary information I can see so I'm assuming it's ok to post, if not a mod can go ahead and remove it).
At certain busy times of the year the Theme Parks experience great numbers of visitors. These fall mostly on the holidays but can happen any day of the year. In order to ensure safety and a magical time for all once a certain number of Guests have entered the park, certain attendance measures go into effect. They are as follows:

Alternate Parking:

All Walt Disney World Resort Theme Parks remain open today. Due to limited available parking, Guests arriving at the Theme Parks may be directed to alternate parking areas where they will use Resort transportation to travel to the park of their choice.

Phase 1:

At this phase, Day Guests with Magic Your Way Base Tickets or a 1-Day 1-Park Ticket, Guests without Theme Park admission and Cast Members using Main Gate & Silver Passes will be turned around at the Auto Plaza. Guests meeting these criteria are told the Theme Park has reached capacity.

Phase 2:

At this phase, Theme Park admission is limited to Disney Resort Guests, Annual and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests with Park Hopper tickets crossing over from another Park, and Guests re-entering this Park today. Guests using Walt Disney World Resort Transportation and Guests in taxis will be admitted. Guests not meeting the above criteria are told the Theme Park has reached capacity.

Phase 3:

At this phase, Theme Park admission is limited to Disney Resort Guests, Annual and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests of Shades of Green at the Walt Disney World Resort and Downtown Disney Resort Area Guests using their respective transportation. Guests not meeting the above criteria are told the Theme Park has reached capacity.

Phase 4:

Closed to all Guests and Guests are told the Park has reached capacity.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward