Ditch Day

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Ditch Day

Post by SpaceRanger » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:04 pm

There are a handful of people I'd like to strangle about now... I was opening at a location I've never opened at before... which was no big deal, really... when I got there I didn't see anyone, but thought maybe they had gone to another location to get something, so just tried to figure out what to do and started finding stuff to stock. Well then scheduling calls and asks if the lead is there, I told them I just started and hadn't seen a lead, but they were prolly just getting more supplies. So I just keep figuring stuff out on my own, I mean it doesn't take much to figure out how to open. A half hour goes by... still no one... 45 minutes goes by... still no one.... scheduling calls again. I find out that EVERYONE, including the lead, called in... I was there over an hour and a half before anyone else came. Surprisingly I didn't burn anything down tho. Haha... that was an adventure tho. Especially when I was in the kitchen trying to figure out how to make at least what I needed for the displays.

Today was just one GIANT headache. When a lead finally got there, I wished she hadn't.... She complained about EVERYTHING all day long. Geez... next time someone should tell me when they decide to plan a ditch day :roll:

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

DisneyPrincess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DisneyPrincess » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:38 pm

:( wow that sucks, luckily I've never had that to deal with.

duckie578
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by duckie578 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:13 am

i know the horror in having to open with no lead. the kitchen we work in is put on lock down everynight and must be unlocked by a lead in the morning. lucky for us openers, one of us knew how to get the keys. something i didnt know until we went to get the keys every set is numbered and the number had nothing to do with the location, its the number of the hook it goes on in the box at harbor house. that mornings shift had started at 530. nothing was close to leaving that kitchen untill almost 800.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:56 am

wow that's horrible. We have had times in the past where all or all but one of the opening leads called in....man did that suck.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:08 pm

SRT_GB wrote:wow that's horrible. We have had times in the past where all or all but one of the opening leads called in....man did that suck.
what ever happenned to that good ol' American work ethic of "gee people are depending on me, I'd better get my tail in there unless I feel really sick..." :roll:

Boy1nterrupted
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Location: Former Canoeboy, Mansion Bulter, Scurvy Pirate, Indy, Float driver & Plaid!

Post by Boy1nterrupted » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:40 pm

My first summer at Disneyland was the last of the infamous Westside Attractions trips to Rosarito Mexico. Pshhhhh! Ditch day?! More like
Ditch Week! I fondly remember passing the phone around in our hotel room at the Rosarito Beach Hotel to call in sick to scheduling. How did the park ever run when those were going on? I heard the figure of castmembers that went that year was round 40-50....I learned one thing that year. WHAT HAPPENS IN MEXICO...STAYS IN MEXICO!

"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung."
- Voltaire

murf
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Ditch Day

Post by murf » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:29 am

I dont think we'd even notice if a lead or manager didnt show up first thing @ the Structure! Everyone is on auto-pilot we just go out and do what needs to be done! As long as someone opens the safes and lowers the bollards we really dont need any management... Hey now thats got me thinking... Destroy all managers, destroy all managers...
:twisted:

The world is a carousel of color

Oh yeah, WELCOME HOME!

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:53 am

Yeah, in attractions we can pretty much open without the lead, the only problem is the opening checklist needs to be signed by a lead before we can open. So, what basically happens is we'll be going about our business opening things then when opening time comes we can't actually open until a lead gets there. Generally it only happens when a lead calls in and it's only a few minutes delay while the replacement lead gets there. It's interesting though.
Sorry we're closed
why
ummm....our boss ditched today?? :)

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:20 pm

Polar33 wrote:Our opening manager was about an hour or so late today. She actually called in to check and see if she was supposed to be at work that moment, much like a lot of the vendors do. It's happened before with a different manager, but at least this time we had keys and didn't have to call security for key service. On top of that there were less managers scheduled today than normal, so we were basically on our own for most of the morning.
You guys in DL ODV REALLY NEED Rob back - especially after "farewell Candi" fiasco. I give you lots of credit for handling ODV screw ups! Heard Rob came over to close after all your managers left for a few cold ones. :rolleyes:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PirateJohn » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:09 pm

Main Streeter wrote:You guys in DL ODV REALLY NEED Rob back - especially after "farewell Candi" fiasco. I give you lots of credit for handling ODV screw ups! Heard Rob came over to close after all your managers left for a few cold ones. :rolleyes:
What was this "farewell Candi" fiasco?