GAC abuse

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Christine43
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

GAC abuse

Post by Christine43 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:37 am

On another boards someone had mentioned that she'd heard two women talking and laughing about the fact that one of them was going to get a GAC to use at Disney. She also came to understand that they didn't actually need it. This enrages me and worries me to no end. I have two boys who are on the Autistic spectrum and I always get a letter from one of their myriad of drs. to present at City Hall or the like. How are people w/o this kind of proof getting the cards?? I take it it's not mandatory? It absolutely should be. One big concern I have is that this kind of help could become extremely limited or stop altogether because of this kind of abuse. Does anyone know if this is becoming a problem and how they're dealing with it? The GAC has been a huge source of support for our family and I would hate for it to end although I think mandatory letters would be an adequate response to this issue. Thanks.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: GAC abuse

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:44 am

Christine43 wrote:How are people w/o this kind of proof getting the cards?? I take it it's not mandatory? It absolutely should be.
They can't ask for proof. The ADA makes it illegal for a company to require proof of a disability.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 am

I always think that Karma will come and bite people like that in the butt :twisted:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:57 am

This one family bugged a cast member selling turkey legs in Fantasyland. They said since they have the card, they get everything free. NOT going to happen. The smart cast member called back and got a manager and security out to their cart. The family was removed because they had lied and there was no GAC card on them. Also, dad was arrested for being drunk in the park.

Seriously folks, if you fake something and try to get something free, you will not get it for free. :mad:

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:32 pm

When I worked at Knott's, I think they had to provide a doctor's note to get a handicap pass. I remember that they had what the person's problem was--mental retardation, autistic, etc.. But then again, Knott's did alot of illegal things when I was there, and got away with them.

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:35 pm

turkeyham wrote:This one family bugged a cast member selling turkey legs in Fantasyland. They said since they have the card, they get everything free. NOT going to happen. The smart cast member called back and got a manager and security out to their cart.
Good for the Cast Member!! Where did the family that they hear that?!?!?! That is absurbed!!

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:11 am

There are two aspects to the law that apply to GAC.

First they cannot question a guest as to their disability. GACs are given based on the needs and limitations of the guest. The stamp for no stairs tells the CM that the person has difficulty with ramps like Star Tours or cannot do steps like at Toy Story Mania. A doctor's not is not needed or wanted. The GAC is there to help the guest get the best experience and to aid CMs who greet and load rides.

Second applies to special treatment and the company or agency can ask for proof of disability. For example the local zoo allows disabled guests to bring someone into the zoo for free or the parks system gives disabled guests free admission to National parks In that case the disabled person is getting something beyond what others get, free admission. Shuttles instead of trams would not apply as it is only providing a form of transportation.

thus is it above and beyond what other guests get? If not then no notes and no questions asked. They can deny the GAC if the person was lying blatantly but that is another legal matter.

Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tinker Bell » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:47 am

Christine43 wrote:On another boards someone had mentioned that she'd heard two women talking and laughing about the fact that one of them was going to get a GAC to use at Disney. She also came to understand that they didn't actually need it. This enrages me and worries me to no end. I have two boys who are on the Autistic spectrum and I always get a letter from one of their myriad of drs. to present at City Hall or the like. How are people w/o this kind of proof getting the cards?? I take it it's not mandatory? It absolutely should be. One big concern I have is that this kind of help could become extremely limited or stop altogether because of this kind of abuse. Does anyone know if this is becoming a problem and how they're dealing with it? The GAC has been a huge source of support for our family and I would hate for it to end although I think mandatory letters would be an adequate response to this issue. Thanks.
:blowup: This is a touchy subject for me and I'll admit that. While entertainment doesn't take GAC, there are certain locations that have been working with them in the past and some still do. Recently the whole GAC has become yet another source of problems. If I'm not mistaken (and someone already answer it) we can't question the disability and I'm guessing that anyone can go and ask for a card, and should be able to get one. As for it becoming a problem, I'll be blunt and say that more and more I see guest misusing this card. In fact I would say it's already a problem. I saw a manager past thru a GAC line a total of 15 people (when the card only had 6) so they can meet the character. Then left the attendant in charge to deal with the enraged guest that had been waiting an hour in the line. The attendant got cursed and yelled by the :angrymob: Which if you can put yourself in those people shoes it was understandable, that line had little kids and babies and all waited patiently their time.

I'll be honest and say that I have lost a little bit of sympathy for the GAC card. It's hard not too when so much abuse is going on. I have gotten YELLED and threaten to report me and "have my job" because "I'm a disability guest and you are making me wait." I have come to realize that most of the time when people get all high and mighty and demand prompt access, they turn out to be guest who don't need the card or is abusing the system. This card has been the source of so many problem and incidents I don't know where to begin to tell them all. A CM of entertainment got a reprimand because he follow the rules and instructed the guest to go thru the regular line that was abilitated for wheelchair and disability access. Another guest with his wife started arguing with cast members because he's son was autistic and he couldn't wait. They were trying to assist him, but there were other GAC guest before him. Other people were there first and yet the guest wouldn't have any of it. He wanted for them to pass him NOW. Never mind that among those waiting there were Make a Wish families. He didn't care about that because apparently he just couldn't wait no amount of time, as minimal as that would be. It wasn't that the cast members were being difficult, they were trying to help them, but we can't control that there is other people also with disabilities ahead of you; not to mention that people have been waiting in line and they have small children and problems too that you may not be aware. All they were asking was for a little patience and consideration, yet none was given. They ended up passing him ahead because it's was so crowded, managers won't back you up, and to be honest we are only mere mortals and get fed up. It was just easier for whatever little mental sanity we have left.

As for what the management and what the company is doing I'll say with no reservations that I don't feel (at least in entertainment) it's much. Actually let me rephrase that. I think that many times they aid the guests in breaking the rules that they initially set up. Fortunately for my sanity, entertainment doesn't work with GAC (MAW is a whole different ball park). Only designated locations have GAC lines or special procedures and I try to avoid them.

I realize that this came off as a rant, when it wasn't meant to be. I'm not ranting at you, I'm just venting my frustrations here, because it really is frustrating to be caught in the middle seeing the abuse, being ignored and then see the guest rewarded when they cheat the system. It's almost impossible to not let it get to you when every time I encounter a GAC I get the whole "I can't wait" thing. The card isn't meant to shorten out times, it says so on the card and yet guest won't listen or read.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:31 pm

I have this bad habit of stopping people (at Indy) when they flash a GAC at me and tell them I need to examine it. I will look at the stamps and also the expiration date. If I am really suspicious I will ask for the person whose name is on the GAC by name.

And usually I will end up telling them that (a) there is no alternate entrance, and (b) the lines are protected from the sun.

I have yet to have someone come up with a special GKTW stamp without a child; if that ever happened I would confiscate the card and turn it over to a manager. Possibly even call Security if the person gave me a hard time.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Very Sad that people are so blatantly abusing the system, but many have just lost all sense of common decency and become greedy ME monsters- this does include some who have family members with real disabilities as well.
Believe Me, they act that way EVERYWHERE, not just the parks. You can only hope they get arrested or something someday. :twisted:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D: