Stupid stage scheduling tricks!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Stupid stage scheduling tricks!

Post by Cranbiz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Doctor McKey wrote:Are you a west gater??

The Doctor
Sometimes, depends on the hub Im at that day. BW can tell you about me.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Scheduling. Got to love it.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Purpura
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Purpura » Sat May 23, 2009 6:56 am

Scheduling is giving me 9 hours between shifts... I'm gonna talk to a Shop steward today if I can find one... I'm sleepy and still have to be there this am at 6:15 Grrr Maybe i should move into Scheduling and tell them they have to feed me breakfast lunch and dinner :p:

If my shifts have 8 hours between them, that means I have 6 hours of rest, and the other two are getting me to work via the bus, or my hubby.

Partial Guest List for Minnie and Friends Character Breakfast Disneyland Plaza Inn :minnie: :eeyore: :hook: :pooh: :tigger: :fairymom:

I am at Rancho Del Zocalo. OLE~!

Go Wombat and VM!

Notatourist will never be forgotten...

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Sat May 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Purpura wrote:Scheduling is giving me 9 hours between shifts... I'm gonna talk to a Shop steward today if I can find one... I'm sleepy and still have to be there this am at 6:15 Grrr Maybe i should move into Scheduling and tell them they have to feed me breakfast lunch and dinner :p:

If my shifts have 8 hours between them, that means I have 6 hours of rest, and the other two are getting me to work via the bus, or my hubby.
Alas, there's not much the Union can do about it. The Local 50 Contract states that the company can indeed schedule Park F&B Cast Members 9 hour turnabout without incurring a penalty.

It may not be right, but the company can legally claim that it has the right to do so.

Have you tried talking to a Manager? Perhaps they can play with your start time to give you more rest time.

Natural Selection Fan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Natural Selection Fan » Sat May 23, 2009 5:04 pm

I could never be a production or stage scheduler. There's absolutely no way
to please everyone. :( For the most part production is awsome at helping
me balance my two jobs and I gotta give credit where it's due!

But some of these stage schedulers play games to work things out for
themselves!

I have gone so far as to print out my cell account call records to prove
that I wasn't called when they say they did! It saved my patootie once!

Another time one was calling around trying to fill "An open shift". It was
actually HER R/O SHIFT because her ADO was denied! Grrrr.

Ask questions, cover yourself, do what you need to do! Ain't nobody
gonna do it for 'ya!

If you ever stop and ask yourself: "How do they dress themselves?"
Congratulations and welcome to my world.

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:32 am

Oh do I have a Stupid Scheduling Trick.

I went to clock in for my shift when CDS says that I can't clock in because I don't have a shift that day, which I did according to the CDS printout I got the day before.

So I check my schedule again in CDS. Not only had my entire schedule for the current (last) week disappeared completely, but so had my entire schedule save one EHH shift for next (this) week. Same thing for Workbrain.

I found out later that, thanks to a computer snafu, I had completely disappeared from GEMS alltogether. As far as Labor was concerned, I didn't work for WDW!

It was eventually fixed, and I have a schedule again, but really?

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:54 am

glendalais wrote:Oh do I have a Stupid Scheduling Trick.

I went to clock in for my shift when CDS says that I can't clock in because I don't have a shift that day, which I did according to the CDS printout I got the day before.

So I check my schedule again in CDS. Not only had my entire schedule for the current (last) week disappeared completely, but so had my entire schedule save one EHH shift for next (this) week. Same thing for Workbrain.

I found out later that, thanks to a computer snafu, I had completely disappeared from GEMS alltogether. As far as Labor was concerned, I didn't work for WDW!

It was eventually fixed, and I have a schedule again, but really?
The place I worked when I did tech support had a similar problem. On occasion you would get into work and find that you could not log into your computer or the phones. When you talked to the supervisor they would check it out and find that you had been randomly fired. Then you would need to spend some time getting that cleared up, it was great. :rolleyes:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

crash
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by crash » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:30 am

glendalais wrote:Alas, there's not much the Union can do about it. The Local 50 Contract states that the company can indeed schedule Park F&B Cast Members 9 hour turnabout without incurring a penalty.

It may not be right, but the company can legally claim that it has the right to do so.

Have you tried talking to a Manager? Perhaps they can play with your start time to give you more rest time.
The only problem is that in transportation we are governed by the federal DOT and we are not allowed to be in the driver seat for more than 12 hrs in a 24 hr period. so if you work till 4 am and off till 12 then on till 8 you can only drive till 2 then you violate federal law and can have your drivers license yanked. It sucks but thats the law and even Disney (as far as I know) isn't above the law. :)

SpeedFreak
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SpeedFreak » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Gotta love the logic of the scheduling dept. Last week, I picked up some shifts for Mon-Fri and left it at that. When I checked the hub that Wednesday, I discovered that I had been scheduled for a shift starting 0530. The problem with that was, I had my shift for Friday, which had shown up on the hub for 2 days prior to me finding that shift. And it was a 9hr shift that ended at 0300. I talked to one of the managers about it and we checked that I hadn't picked it up or been given that shift. It was scheduling's doing.

Another thing I don't get is the Extra Hours Hotline. They say you can't pick up a shift if it would cause you to get double time, but I have even seen a 22 hour shift up there for grabs. :rolleyes:

Stupidity is not a handicap, stand elsewhere.
Sarah Magdalene wrote:Needless to say, Mickey got pissed and had the bitch and her family expelled form the park.
Word to the wise: DON'T tick off the Boss.

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:24 pm

SpeedFreak wrote:Another thing I don't get is the Extra Hours Hotline. They say you can't pick up a shift if it would cause you to get double time, but I have even seen a 22 hour shift up there for grabs. :rolleyes:
You have to remember that EHH is also open to Hourly Non Union, Office and Technical, Salaried Non-Exempt and other CMs who aren't covered under STCU Provisions regarding Double Time, not to mention CMs working under other contracts with different Double Time provisions.

Florida law doesn't require employers to pay their employees Double Time - STCU CMs only get Double Time pay after 14 hours because of the CBA.

So while a STCU CM certainly couldn't pick up a 22 hour shift because they would incur Double Time, an HNU/O&T CM certainly could.