When did Disney jump the shark?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
coldfire409
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

When did Disney jump the shark?

Post by coldfire409 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:04 pm

I was wondering if anybody out there has any idea when Disney jumped the shark. For those of you that do not know what jumpping the shark is; it's when there is a change that has deviated so much from the regular concept for the parks. For an example: The television show Married With Children jumpped the shark when the charater seven was introduced. I know that this one is a tough one, because there are so many times when the shark could have shown up.

Recently when I was at DAK I saw the new area that was built and it looked like a carnival. That is when I offically said that Disney has jumpped the shark. But there are other times, further back in the past.

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:30 pm

It jumped the shark when Walt died.

If you don't agree with that, then I'd say it jumped the shark when they stopped running rides like the peoplemover during the week.

If you don't agree with that, then I'd say it jumped the shark when they started those "Circus Fantasy" and "State Fair" days in the '80s.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:08 pm

Dante101 wrote:If you don't agree with that, then I'd say it jumped the shark when they started those "Circus Fantasy" and "State Fair" days in the '80s.
Dante, those have to be the biggest two on the block...remember the quotes of Walt saying there would never be cotton candy or carneys?

How about bringing in Star Wars and Indiana Jones? Setting up the Touchstone Division. Buying ABC/Capital Cities...

Fantasia 2000.

(p.s. I hope "Destino" wins for Best Anamation Short this weekend just for the sheer pleasure of the prospect of Roy Disney publicly humiliating Michael Eisner)

VonSeegs
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Location: RRods, Space, Tours/Astro, Matterhorn, Mansion, Pirates and Classics East

Post by VonSeegs » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:15 pm

Three letters: D-C-A

Vance likes ham.