Hot Grease

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
SkipperGordon
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Hot Grease

Post by SkipperGordon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:17 am

I was working a closing shift at unload a few nights ago which is right next to Tom's Hotdogs. After mopping out a boat I notice another skipper is looking off the platform towards Tom's with a funny look on his face.
"What's wrong?" I asked him.
"I didn't know you could water a tree with cooking oil."
I looked over and sure enough someone from Tom's had dumped several gallons of STEAMING HOT OIL into the open grate around one of our trees. Since when is it acceptable to have a puddle of hot oil several inches deep in the middle of a picnic area directly in front of a ride exit? :mad:
I called in and reported it and would have LOVED to have been present to hear the subsequent call that went out to Tom's.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Hot Grease

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:43 am

Can't imagine that's not a fire hazard, too!

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 am

The oil will congeal and eventually plug up the drain, sewer pipe and anything else it gets into. If it was done to a city/county sewage system someone would be paying a huge fine to stop any further occurrences and to clean out the pipes.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:17 am

hobie16 wrote:The oil will congeal and eventually plug up the drain, sewer pipe and anything else it gets into. If it was done to a city/county sewage system someone would be paying a huge fine to stop any further occurrences and to clean out the pipes.
I just paid for having the kitchen sink unplugged and that grease glogs everything. I wonder if there would be a smell from all that oil permeating the air. I was thinking what Hobie was saying about the environmental and legal outcome of pouring grease into that drain that was designed for water drainage.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:40 am

mechurchlady wrote:I wonder if there would be a smell from all that oil permeating the air.
Anyone who has been in the military will tell you the absolute worst job/punishment ever is to clean out the grease trap behind the mess hall. Talk about stink! A guy in my basic training platoon was a real screw up. He had to do it twice. We made him stay in the showers until he got rid of the stench.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 am

hobie16 wrote:The oil will congeal and eventually plug up the drain, sewer pipe and anything else it gets into. If it was done to a city/county sewage system someone would be paying a huge fine to stop any further occurrences and to clean out the pipes.
The city of Dallas spends $376,000 annually for "prevention advertising," urging people not to pour grease down drains. I've only seen the billboards driving down I-35 heading through South Dallas. I'm wondering which crooked councilman's friend owns the billboards.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm suprised that they don't sell it to the people that make bio-diesel.

The local news did a story about a guy who used to go around and collect used frying oil from the various fast food and regular restaurants, he had a "distiller" in his garage that would convert it to bio-diesel. He said that he used to get it for free, as the restaurant wouldn't have to pay for the disposal of the stuff. Then after a while, they started charging HIM for the oil!
guess they found out they were powering his truck!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:39 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I'm suprised that they don't sell it to the people that make bio-diesel.

The local news did a story about a guy who used to go around and collect used frying oil from the various fast food and regular restaurants, he had a "distiller" in his garage that would convert it to bio-diesel. He said that he used to get it for free, as the restaurant wouldn't have to pay for the disposal of the stuff. Then after a while, they started charging HIM for the oil!
guess they found out they were powering his truck!
If the state finds out they'll hit him with gas taxes.

--- Matt King

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:45 pm

hobie16 wrote:If the state finds out they'll hit him with gas taxes.
He must pay something, as he had to get licensed to operate it.

but he only uses it in his own vehicles, that he converted. (according to the story)

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:20 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:He must pay something, as he had to get licensed to operate it.

but he only uses it in his own vehicles, that he converted. (according to the story)
It's the production, not the vehicles, that'll get taxed.

--- Matt King