It's a simulation

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

It's a simulation

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:39 pm

So the other morning, my wife was on Crescent Lake doing their monthly emergency simulation. The time was about 8:00 in the morning, and they were over by Hollywood Studios. The only place on that lake you can rent a boat is the Yacht Club, and you can't rent a boat before 10:00.

For a simulation, one of the Lake Patrol people, in costume, took a pontoon boat and beached it. He then got out and lay down as though thrown from the boat by the force of the beaching <snicker>.

My wife was the first responder to the scene. She came up, beached her boat next to the "distressed" vessel, and looked for "victims". She found the "victim" Cast Member, lying in his spot. She came up to him surveying him, and asking the questions that in a real emergency she would not be able to ask (like, do you have a pulse) and he would not answer, she would have to find out on her own... some things you just don't want to simulate. He informed her that he did not have a pulse and was not breathing, so she started CPR.

As she was working on him with simulated CPR (looks VERY different from the real thing if you've seen it), along came a plainclothes security person. Did he ask what was going on? No.

Did he ask if everything was okay? No.

Did he ask if my wife needed help? No.

Did he notice that the victim was talking about his condition or that he was conscious and furthermore in costume? I have to assume not.

No, the plainclothes Security person came over to inform my wife that Reedy Creek and Orange County were on the way. Apparently, the DUTY MANAGER of Hollywood Studios had them do it, because he was concerned about seeing our Lake Patrol guards doing CPR on someone.

Did it give him pause that the Lake Patrol, with their phones, Nextels and managers had not called Reedy Creek THEMSLEVES? It did not. Did he send someone over to see what was going on before getting people involved that need not be? He did not.

I don't know why, but if I've seen Security dealing with someone in any sort of emergency, I've never felt the need to further make calls to Reedy Creek or Orange County.

What if the Epcot Duty Manager had seen a monorail sitting on the beam powered down after hours and, not realizing it was an evacuation drill for Reedy Creek, called the police? Granted, the police were PART of the drill, so they already would have known.

So I guess now with an overzealous DM, Lake Patrol needs to notify Reedy Creek any time they are going to have their safety meetings, because every one has something like this going on.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: It's a simulation

Post by BRWombat » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:20 pm

WOW. :eek: Time to tail that DM, and whenever he is called upon to handle a disgruntled guest, step in to tell him that Guest Relations, and possibly Bob Iger, have already been notified. :twisted:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:24 pm

So, did anyone end up looking like the back end of a horse for thinking a simulation was real? Seems to me there was a gap in the chain of communication.

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Post by Monorail_Red » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:He then got out and lay down as though thrown from the boat by the force of the beaching <snicker>.
^^ with a 9.9HP motor?? :D:
Big Wallaby wrote:What if the Epcot Duty Manager had seen a monorail sitting on the beam powered down after hours and, not realizing it was an evacuation drill for Reedy Creek, called the police? Granted, the police were PART of the drill, so they already would have known.
BW - speaking of which, are there any pics out there of these monorail drills?

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Monorail_Red wrote:with a 9.9HP motor?? :D:
No, a governed 9.9 hp motor. They're almost powerful enough to blow your nose.

Monorail_Red wrote:BW - speaking of which, are there any pics out there of these monorail drills?
Somewhere, locked away, there are. We are informed that we are NOT to take any. You'd have to ask a manager to see some.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:10 pm

Whenever we did emergency simulations of various situations, we ALWAYS notify everyone that it is a drill, so that type of response doesn't happen.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:42 pm

NICE! That is hilarious. Next thing they'll be calling in extra exterminators to deal with the insanely large mouse population...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:19 am

I know that manager meant well and all, but it sounds like it didn't take long for Security to come over and notify them, AFTER the calls had already been made. They could have come first, saw what was going on, and then radioed back to whomever would need to make the call. Even as a lifeguard, you take a moment to make that decision, as you put on your gloves and survey the situation from five feet away. It might be a really quick decision, but you still take the time to make it. After ten seconds, if you're still on the fence it's time to make the call, but if you're a quarter of a mile away you are NOT qualified for the decision.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:31 am

Give that dude a Darwin Award. He probably thought either someone had been hurt and he did not run to help or they were CMs having fun on the beach, wink, wink. Maybe he was afraid it was the latter, lol. Really it is sad he does not know what Lake Patrol does.

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:34 pm

ktulu wrote:NICE! That is hilarious. Next thing they'll be calling in extra exterminators to deal with the insanely large mouse population...
Hey there are only two mice at WDW and Minnie might get upset at you calling her insanely large. :rolleyes: