Character Smilies Reorganized

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Character Smilies Reorganized

Post by BRWombat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:43 pm

ktulu wrote:...So, do you visit your parents alot? Hi Mom, Dad, 'cuse me while I download this stuff. Actually, just call me when it is done, oh and don't touch it, I don't want anything to go wrong...
Nah, their FiOS is blazing fast, probably 20Mbs+, so I blink and the download's done. The cost? I fix their occasional computer problems and send the grandsons to visit. It's a pretty sweet deal. :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:56 pm

BRWombat wrote:Nah, their FiOS is blazing fast, probably 20Mbs+, so I blink and the download's done. The cost? I fix their occasional computer problems and send the grandsons to visit. It's a pretty sweet deal. :D:
Probably have the 20M package, unless they want to pay $139 for 50M!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:46 pm

ktulu wrote:Probably have the 20M package, unless they want to pay $139 for 50M!
Actually, I think they only pay for 10M, but get 20... Just recently they (and I) had a hellacious time trying to get their antivirus/firewall package to download and install, and a harder time getting anyone reasonably knowledgeable in tech support to help. We eventually chucked their package (and I found him a better deal with McAfee anyway), and when my dad called to have the charges reversed on the Verizon software he'd bought (that never worked), the customer service guy went into full-on guest recovery mode and gave him a ton of freebies that he wasn't expecting or even hinting at -- speed upgrade, one DVR (they have FiOS TV also) for free, and all of the movie channels free for three months! Almost made me want to subscribe and then try -- and fail -- to install their software. :) :rolleyes:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:45 pm

I'm using AT&T Yahoo! DSL, and as long as I keep my computer maintained, the server doesn't crash--like it did a couple days ago on another forum I visit--I don't have too many problems. I don't know for sure what we're paying for it, maybe $20/month, hard to tell when mom's kvetching about everything she sees on the phone bill. I keep telling her, if it's something you don't recognize, call the phone company and tell them to take it off. She won't do that--"too much trouble" she says. I can think of several times in the past that her attitude has led to our living lower than we should. I wrote down in my address book that AT&T has a deal, it may be expired now, that they give you DSL for $10/month,, requires pentium processor, with 266+ Mhz, 64MB RAM, 128 MB recommended. I'd look that up on their site. Keep in mind my BIL works for AT&T, and he may have gotten us a special rate.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:12 am

felinefan wrote:I'm using AT&T Yahoo! DSL, and as long as I keep my computer maintained, the server doesn't crash--like it did a couple days ago on another forum I visit--I don't have too many problems. I don't know for sure what we're paying for it, maybe $20/month, hard to tell when mom's kvetching about everything she sees on the phone bill. I keep telling her, if it's something you don't recognize, call the phone company and tell them to take it off. She won't do that--"too much trouble" she says. I can think of several times in the past that her attitude has led to our living lower than we should. I wrote down in my address book that AT&T has a deal, it may be expired now, that they give you DSL for $10/month,, requires pentium processor, with 266+ Mhz, 64MB RAM, 128 MB recommended. I'd look that up on their site. Keep in mind my BIL works for AT&T, and he may have gotten us a special rate.
I actually checked with AT&T a month or two ago and thought I'd found the cure -- but they don't service my area of town. Sigh.

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 am

BRWombat wrote:I actually checked with AT&T a month or two ago and thought I'd found the cure -- but they don't service my area of town. Sigh.
Okay, I dug this thread up to let you all know I've taken the plunge and will finally be joining the 21st century. I've ordered FiOS for the home and should have it installed by Friday! No more dialup!!

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 am

BRWombat wrote:Okay, I dug this thread up to let you all know I've taken the plunge and will finally be joining the 21st century. I've ordered FiOS for the home and should have it installed by Friday! No more dialup!!
?? you are on DIAL-UP?

hokey smokes!!!

RUM?

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:15 pm

BRWombat wrote:Okay, I dug this thread up to let you all know I've taken the plunge and will finally be joining the 21st century. I've ordered FiOS for the home and should have it installed by Friday! No more dialup!!
Do they offer UPS?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Woohoo! I would say you would only be a couple of hops from me, but since I setup the tunnel to work that is no longer the case :) Welcome to the fast lane!
hobie16 wrote:Do they offer UPS?
Yeah, the install includes a battery back up for the ONT. I have two hanging on the wall in my garage (yes, I have two ONT's).

If it wasn't in the garage I would consider putting them on a separate UPS, but it just gets too hot in there in the summer.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:02 am

ktulu wrote:Yeah, the install includes a battery back up for the ONT. I have two hanging on the wall in my garage (yes, I have two ONT's).

If it wasn't in the garage I would consider putting them on a separate UPS, but it just gets too hot in there in the summer.
How long will the batteries keep the equipment running?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.