Stupid Security Tricks

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Stupid Security Tricks

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Found out late yesterday (technically EARLY this morning) how useless security can be. They can't even properly jump off a car.

I left work at 1:45am and as I'm walking out from the Westclock (MK's Cast lot) bus shelter I see a security truck behind the only car left in the handicapped section. I didn't think much of it and continued on across the lot to my car. A little old lady (no joke) comes around the security truck and calls out to me, asking if I could jump her off. Naturally being a gentleman I say yes despite the fact I had to be back way to soon for today's shift.

I pull over there and as I'm getting the cables hooked up she mentions to me that the security guard was useless (he was in the truck at the time). He apparently tried using a booster pack but it couldn't jump her off. I hook up the cables, let my engine run a few minutes, then have her try starting her car. It lugged but it did start up. Told her to let it just idle for a few minutes then to not turn it off for at least 30 minutes and I went on my way.

Booster packs are wonderful things if a battery is only low. They just aren't powerful enough to jump off a completely dead battery like the lady had. That requires another vehicle with a good alternator and a good set of jumper cables. Apparently security is not allowed to hook their vehicles directly to a car, they can only use booster packs. Come to think of it, that's stupid since I have a feeling the majority of times they have to jump someone off the battery will be completely dead because the headlights got left on all day or something. Yes jumping off a car can cause damage to the car doing the jumping but normally only if you hook the cables up wrong. Hook them up right and chances are their won't be any damage.
darph nader wrote:I'm with MS and the Doctor on this one. 1000 years ago when I was in high school,you could get busted for giving someone an aspirin. Sad to say,I saw it happen. :(
Even though we have bandages, aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. in a nice kit at the manager/coordinator desk for my area we can't give any of that to the guests, it is for our own use only. For safety and health reasons guests have to go to First-Aid for any of that stuff even though it is the exact same stuff we have in our kit.
Main Streeter wrote:Security was/is correct. No D L R property lanyards of any type are to be taken off property. This is stated in Traditions, training, & sometimes at check ins.
Really? At WDW we're allowed to take our lanyards home (though I never do). Though getting it personalized is stupid IMO, the lanyard still belongs to the company and has to be turned in when you leave.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:32 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:a lot of the substances we use daily can be deadly if used in certain amounts.
Would one of those be...

...RUM????

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:38 pm

I remember that when I was in high school we were allowed to carry pocket knives to school. It was no big deal, they were used as tools, not weapons, so nobody thought of any danger. If anyone had used a knife as a weapon on campus, they would've kicked the offender out, but I seriously doubt if they would've instituted a "No Pocketknives" rule. I never heard of an incident where someone took out a pocketknife and threatened someone with it; that was simply not done. And this was in the early 70s, in a public school.
I remember reading as early as the 80s that they started banning pocketknives from school campuses. One girl was bringing a cake or some brownies to school to share, and there was a knife taped to the bottom of the pan, so the cake/brownies could be cut. She got busted for bringing a knife to school, and I think she was only in 5th grade. I can understand caution, but that was overboard. Like that little girl is gonna wait until her classmates are eating and go on a stabbing spree. Yeah, right. There's such a thing as being overly cautious to the point of being stupid. :rolleyes:

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:56 pm

Aspirin definitely can be deadly in excessive amounts, have had patients who developed gastrointestinal bleeding from it, but we are about to regulate ourselves to death! I've heard lately that you can't bring baked goods in to school as a kid may be allergic to peanuts or wheat....not to make light of anyone's dietary limitations, but talk about sucking all the fun away from school parties! :(
I DID laugh at the film Madagascar, there was a scene where one critter was telling the others to stop another from getting on the plane as he had "scissors and hand cream!" ;)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:19 am

hobie16 wrote:Would one of those be...

...RUM????
NO! thats for medical purposes!!!!!!!

hehehehehehe

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

KBFRideOperator
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by KBFRideOperator » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:56 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Aspirin definitely can be deadly in excessive amounts, have had patients who developed gastrointestinal bleeding from it, but we are about to regulate ourselves to death! I've heard lately that you can't bring baked goods in to school as a kid may be allergic to peanuts or wheat....not to make light of anyone's dietary limitations, but talk about sucking all the fun away from school parties! :(
I DID laugh at the film Madagascar, there was a scene where one critter was telling the others to stop another from getting on the plane as he had "scissors and hand cream!" ;)
Actually, having recently been IN the public school system, I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that all foods must be prepackaged by stores because of a security threat that is posed by handmade goods.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.

A kid who doesn't like other kids can poison/tamper with his/her brownies, cupcakes, pizza, what have you, so all cookies/baked goods must be bought from a store and only will be allowed on campus if the inspection (YES, INSPECTION) shows that the original packaging is intact.