Rude Passport Employee at Universal's ET Ride

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
jawsfan27
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Rude Passport Employee at Universal's ET Ride

Post by jawsfan27 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:52 am

I just joined this site to post this story. I'd like to start off by saying that my first name is really Grover. My parents are really into American history, and they decided to name me after their favorite president, Grover Cleveland. Obviously they never thought about how much I would be made fun of in school, which was a lot. But I've come to love my first name because it's pretty unique these days. I thought about going by my middle name (John) for a while, but I hate that name and now that I'm out of school I'm happy to be Grover. Anyway, I went to Universal Studios (Orlando) with my friend yesterday, and we decided to go on ET. I had never been on that ride before (I liked it), and I didn't know that you had to give the people your name at the beginning so ET says it at the end. My friend and I got into a line with an older female CM, and my friend got his with no problem. I walked up to her and told her my name. She first said "I'm sorry?" because she didn't hear me, so I told her again. She then said "Nope, that's not in our system, please give me your correct name." I almost started to tell her that Grover was in fact my real correct name, but I didn't want to spend the time telling the story I just told you when I could be on the ride. So I gave my middle name and walked on. Now I realize that these people probably get a bunch of stupid kids who give them fake names all day and I feel bad for them because of it, but I was pretty angry that she thought I was lying to her. And I didn't like the way she handled it. She could have simply said "I'm sorry, that's not in our system, do you have another name you go by?" or something like that instead of just assuming I was making up a name.

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Rude Passport Employee at Universal's ET Ride

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:59 am

First of all, WELCOME to SGT! Sorry for your negative experience. That was indeed a rude as well as stupid employee. It is hard to find good help.

But you're right about kids giving fake names. When my kids were little we used to go to US Hollywood all the time and my kids thought it was so funny to say their names were Bill and Hillary (It was the 90"s). But they never tried to say anything that wasn't a real name.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:18 am

Grover is a great name, name of my favorite on Sesame Street MANY years ago ;) (Is he still on? )
Sorry that happened to you, and Welcome! :)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:29 am

Welcome to the SGT!!

Its sad that the CM treated you that way.

next time, just look "hurt" and say "That IS my real name!!"
(and I don't believe you need to explain your name to ANYONE, its none of their business!!)

(I wonder how they handle visitors from outside the country that many not have what we consider "traditional" names)

sounds like you should write the management.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:10 pm

Yeah, what happens when my student named Phuc goes to US and rides ET? I guess she could use her middle name, Yu!

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:Yeah, what happens when my student named Phuc goes to US and rides ET? I guess she could use her middle name, Yu!
Yeah, I can just see Austin Powers showing up at Universal with the Japanese twins.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

Canuikstan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Canuikstan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:38 pm

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:Yeah, what happens when my student named Phuc goes to US and rides ET? I guess she could use her middle name, Yu!
In Grade 7 we had a vietnamese boy in my class named Phuk Vu -- we were told to call him Phil. But that wouln't work with a girl...

I wonder if they have my name.. (Which is Bern)...

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:17 pm

My student Phuc wanted to be called Phuc, I pronounced it "Fook", even though that wasn't the way she wanted it pronounced. Fook that!

PapaMouse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PapaMouse » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:21 pm

Welcome.

I want to say that Grover is a great name, but so is John. I am sorry that the person was so rude. I don't remember them asking our name when we went, but that was back in 1996 so it may be different now. I also don't think it should "be in our system" it should be something they have to type in. that would make it really special. What happens when they get an Obama in line. I bet that's not in the system.

Help control A.D.D., Spank a kids ass.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:51 pm

PapaMouse wrote:Welcome.

I want to say that Grover is a great name, but so is John. I am sorry that the person was so rude. I don't remember them asking our name when we went, but that was back in 1996 so it may be different now. I also don't think it should "be in our system" it should be something they have to type in. that would make it really special. What happens when they get an Obama in line. I bet that's not in the system.
I bet it is now!!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?