Stupid Transfer Tricks

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Stupid Transfer Tricks

Post by glendalais » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:56 pm

As I'm sure you might know, I recently transferred to Attractions from DL Park Food & Beverage.

This involved withdrawing my membership in the Park Food & Beverage Union (UNITE HERE) and becoming a member of the Attractions/Resort Transportation & Parking Union (Teamsters).

When I was approved for my transfer, I filled out the Teamsters membership form, as well as a new dues checkoff form. I also went down to the UNITE HERE office to inform them of the transfer and request that they cease taking dues from my paycheque.

Given I seemed to have done everything right, you might be wondering where the SCMT is.

Everything was going well until my first Paystub for November came. For whatever reason, it didn't show dues being taken out for the Teamsters, but rather for UNITE HERE :eek: .

Furthermore, when I checked with the Teamsters, it seemed that I somehow wasn't in their database of members, despite having filled out and submitted a membership form.

The Disneyland Park Master Services Contract (covering Attraction, Stores, Candy Maker, and Custodial Cast Members in Disneyland Park, as well as Main Entrance and Resort Transportation & Parking Cast Members resort-wide) has a Union Security clause in it, basically stating that you have to be a Union member to work at the DLR. As such, this would've meant quite a bit of trouble down the road if I hadn't caught it.

Fortunately, it's all been corrected now, and just seems to have been a minor blunder since Cast Transfers aren't all that common at the DLR compared to WDW, rather than anything intentional. However, you think they could be more careful :rolleyes: .

Main_Street_Merch
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Stupid Transfer Tricks

Post by Main_Street_Merch » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Easy fix. Stay away from the Unions. Don't give them your hard earned money, and everyone will be better off. They are a prime example of SCMT.

Former: MK & Studios Guest Relations, Pirate's League Opening Team, MK, Studios, & DAK Events, Dream Squad, Entertainment, Typhoon Deep Lifeguard, Africa Ops: WLE and KSR, Main Street East Merch.
Briefly: Disneyland Cast Activities.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Main_Street_Merch wrote:Easy fix. Stay away from the Unions.
Not an option at Disneyland. California isn't a "Right to Work" state like Florida; you *have* to join the union to work there, as he said:
glendalis wrote:The Disneyland Park Master Services Contract ... has a Union Security clause in it, basically stating that you have to be a Union member to work at the DLR.

Zazu

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:17 pm

If California was a "right-to-work" state (which apparently will be on the ballot at the next general-election), DLR Union Membership rates would collapse in on themselves. The few CMs who are strongly in favour of the DLR being a unionized workplace are mainly those who have been around for 20+ years and make nowhere near the starting rate.

Alas, we're not, and it is completely possible to lose your job for not being a Union Member in good standing.

That being said, the Attractions union seems to be much better, from what I have seen than the Union representing Park Food & Beverage. It's much more professional, as opposed to the sometimes childish antics that goes on in Foods.

Double T
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Double T » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:21 am

glendalais wrote: That being said, the Attractions union seems to be much better, from what I have seen than the Union representing Park Food & Beverage. It's much more professional, as opposed to the sometimes childish antics that goes on in Foods.
You probably have more experience than me, since I only lasted there for 8 months before I realized that magic just wasn't putting food on the table, but the only experience I had with the union was them taking money out of my already meager paycheck, and sending me mail telling me who to vote for in the upcoming election.

The unions around the parks seem rather....impotent.

T

"You know Explorers...I have people ask me all the time how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years, and I tell them to just take a look..."
"They're covered with mussels."

KBFRideOperator
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by KBFRideOperator » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 pm

Double T wrote:You probably have more experience than me, since I only lasted there for 8 months before I realized that magic just wasn't putting food on the table, but the only experience I had with the union was them taking money out of my already meager paycheck, and sending me mail telling me who to vote for in the upcoming election.

The unions around the parks seem rather....impotent.

T
It just seems to be my calling to necro old threads, but since I was not around when these topics were being currently discussed, I hope you all will forgive me as I shove my two cents down your throats.

As a Custodial Cast Member, even though I was listed in the union, I never ONCE paid anything out of my paycheck other than state taxes, SSI, etc. Disneyland may be recognizing that unions are obsolete, or the unions don't care as much about dues as they do about still existing, but I worked there for a year, never paid a dime, but my union rep made sure to frequent our work areas and make sure we were getting treated fairly in accordance with all labor compliance laws.

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 am

The funny thing is, the same thing happened AGAIN when I transferred to WDW. They continued taking Teamsters dues out of my paycheque, even though I was at a completely different resort in a Non-Union Classification.

This time was easier to fix though. Even Payroll can tell that I, as a Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member in Florida shouldn't be having dues deducted and sent to a Disneyland Resort Union in California.

As to the Union here, even though I'm currently ineligible for Union Membership, I've already decided that I'm staying far away from the F&B Union once I convert to CR. They're the same Union as Local 50 over at DLR (with all their antics), and the giant signs they have up in the areas proclaiming that they just came out of Trusteeship aren't helping...

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:21 pm

As far as union dues go, you might want to check with your tax man. I'm 95% sure they are tax deductable.

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:15 pm

I must say that the Unite Here local for WDW is far better in shape then the DLR version of it.. We had to "loan" them pretty close to a million dollars a year or so ago because they where about to fall apart on them selfs

The Doctor

Note from Big Wallaby - This guy snorts pixie dust! Ask me for details...

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:11 pm

darph nader wrote:As far as union dues go, you might want to check with your tax man. I'm 95% sure they are tax deductable.
Union Dues are deductible if you itemize. However, they are on the part of Schedule A with other miscellaneous deductions and there is a 2% of Adjusted Gross Income floor, so you can only deduct those Miscellaneous items where the total exceeds 2% of AGI.