Er....do you know what state you're in, Mr. Marketing CM?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Er....do you know what state you're in, Mr. Marketing CM?

Post by glendalais » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:06 am

I was doing some preliminary Christmas shopping at the DLR today (in preperation for the giant shopping spree when the 40% CM Christmas Discount becomes available :D :) , when I noticed something on the side of a candy tin at the Candy Palace on Main Street U.S.A..

It was decorated with the Disneyland Resort logo, and pictures from our two parks: Grizzly Peak at Disney's California Adventure Park and Sleeping Beauty Castle at the Magic Kingdom Park.

Nope, you didn't read that wrong. Apparently, Disneyland Park has been renamed after it's much larger counterpart at the Walt Disney World Resort, or at least it has in the world in which whoever creates our Theme Park Merchandise lives :rolleyes: .

They were even using MK's logo on the tin. I found it on a few other things, including the Disneyland Resort's 2008 Official Album.

I'm all for calling Disneyland Park the Magic Kingdom as a nickname, I even do it myself fairly often. However, this is just :eek: . It only takes a quick check of Google to make sure that you're referring to the right place.

For a long time, it was MK that suffered from people trying to figure out what to call it, until they renamed it to the Magic Kingdom Park. Now it seems that the tables have been turned :rolleyes: .

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: Er....do you know what state you're in, Mr. Marketing CM?

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:34 am

But (help me oldtimers!) Wasn't DLR origionally called The Magic Kingdom? Or is it time to put the Geritol in my Hot Cocoa? :confused:
I remember E tickets, too, they came in little booklets, not printed out on the computer! :grandpa:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:47 am

DisneyMom wrote:But (help me oldtimers!) Wasn't DLR origionally called The Magic Kingdom? Or is it time to put the Geritol in my Hot Cocoa? :confused:
I remember E tickets, too, they came in little booklets, not printed out on the computer!:geezer:
One of Disneyland Park's nicknames is "The Magic Kingdom", which has always been used as sort of a secondary one to "The Happiest Place on Earth" (which itself has seemed to fallen by the wayside in recent years, in favour of "The Place Where Dreams Come True").

However, it has never been an official name of the park. Officially, we've always been "Disneyland" (pre-DLR) or "Disneyland Park" (post-DLR).

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:10 am

glendalais wrote:One of Disneyland Park's nicknames is "The Magic Kingdom", which has always been used as sort of a secondary one to "The Happiest Place on Earth" (which itself has seemed to fallen by the wayside in recent years, in favour of "The Place Where Dreams Come True").

However, it has never been an official name of the park. Officially, we've always been "Disneyland" (pre-DLR) or "Disneyland Park" (post-DLR).
Whew! I guess I'm not hallucinating! Thank You!
Now can you help me find my keys and my phone? :o:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:07 am

I myself am older than Disneyland, and The Magic Kingdom has always been its nickname. I guess it was never official, but I get annoyed when WDW people think they have the only Magic Kingdom. Who remembers the old "Magic Kingdom" cards that would get you a book of all E (Magic Key) tickets? And later, the Passport? Yes WE were the original Magic Kingdom. So there!

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:40 am

Ms. Matterhorn wrote: And later, the Passport?
I remember the Passport. My brother and I must have done 50 laps in the cars.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:09 am

Per a recent tour that I have taken here at the WDW, All Disney Parks that have a Princess Castle is considered a "Magic Kingdom", hence the All Magic Kingdoms are dry, with exception to the Disneyland Paris. DLP has a wine only rule for meals due to its French hertiage....

As far as having the wrong castle on the merch.. you know we have 5 yearolds... errr i mean we have fine people in China making our stuff right... who have probably never been to a Disney park...

The Doctor

Note from Big Wallaby - This guy snorts pixie dust! Ask me for details...

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:00 am

glendalais wrote: It was decorated with the Disneyland Resort logo, and pictures from our two parks: Grizzly Peak at Disney's California Adventure Park and Sleeping Beauty Castle at the Magic Kingdom Park.
Don't forget all that stuff is made in China!

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:22 am

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:Don't forget all that stuff is made in China!
And Taiwan and who knows where else. I'm honestly afraid to look at where the majority of the merchandise I sell comes from. I'd almost rather not know.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:12 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't the majority of both the WDW and DLR merchandise get warehoused in WDW? (Even though there is a DLR warehouse in Ontario,CA) A lot of the things I have bought at DLR says it is distributed by Walt Disney Theme Parks and Resorts,Lake Buena Vista ,FL. Sometimes they ship the WDW branded items to DL by mistake. My friend bought me a Sorcerer's Apprentice bank that said WDW at Company D a few years back.
I was just at DL ,but didn't see the tin in question. I'll have to check next time.