Stupid Billboard Tricks

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
albino_pygmy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: Magic Kingdom
Department: Jungle Navigation Co
Position: Skipper

Stupid Billboard Tricks

Post by albino_pygmy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 pm

Ok, I should have blamed the moms, but I find it more amusing to blame an inanimate large object who's sole purpose is to draw your attention. Here's the article:

OrlandoSentinel.com
Moms to Universal Orlando: 'Bloody Mary' billboards too horrible
Scott Powers

Sentinel Staff Writer

September 4, 2008

Universal Orlando hoped its "Bloody Mary" campaign would turn a few heads on Interstate 4 -- but some people are turning away from the resort's billboards.

For this year's Halloween Horror Nights festivities, Universal Orlando promised an "in-your-face" advertising campaign, with billboards the company vowed would seek new levels of provocativeness.

No thanks, some drivers are saying.

One group, called Metro Orlando Mommies, says Universal has gone too far. The Mommies are pushing to get the company to tone down the ads, particularly the violent, sometimes bloody images.

Last week, Universal put up 80 billboards advertising its 18th annual Halloween Horror Nights, which start Sept. 26. This year's after-hours, special-ticket horror-fest highlights scary urban legends and uses a character known as "Bloody Mary" as its iconic image. In urban legends, Bloody Mary is a ghost who can be summoned through mirrors. The billboards, along with other Halloween Horror Nights advertising, feature a broken mirror and a ghoulish Mary figure, sometimes dripping blood.

Metro Orlando Mommy Erin Heston, 33, who lives in downtown Orlando and has two children, Brock, almost 3, and Molly, 9 months, wrote Universal this week urging the company to take down the more graphic billboards and to limit its TV advertising to late-night programs.

"Each year, I grow more frustrated and disappointed by the choices Universal makes in advertising this event, which glamorizes violence and human cruelty," she wrote. "This year, I find the billboards truly unacceptable to our community."

Universal insists it is staying within the range of what is acceptable to the community. In recent years, Universal's campaign has featured such ghoulish characters as "Jack the Evil Clown," "The Storyteller," "The Director" and "The Caretaker."

"We want them to be fun and entertaining -- and communicate what the event is about," spokesman Michael Lewellen said. "Our approach is consistent with what we've done throughout the 18-year history of Halloween Horror Nights. But we also know there may be other opinions about our billboards -- and we respect those opinions."

Mommy Katy Leach, 29, of Winter Park said the first time her son Gavin, nearly 3, saw the billboard near Fairbanks Avenue she had a hard time explaining it to him. That was OK, she thought. But a couple of days later, out of the blue, he asked about it again. That was creepy -- that the image had stayed with him, she said. And the billboard is there, every time they get on I-4.

"I can't choose not to see it. . . . It's there, in my face," she said.

Lewellen said the company was monitoring reaction, but so far complaints were few. Bottom line: People are talking, he said.

Advertisers like that.

Scott Powers can be reached at [email protected] or 407-420-5441.

Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel

Skipper's General Warning!
Reading of this signature might result in the following:
Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
Consult a physician if read thoroughly.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Stupid Billboard Tricks

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:41 pm

LOL! Another argument of pointless censorship ...

Violent scary images bug them and their little brats? Geez, that's YOUR job you stupid mommy to reassure your pwecious angel that monsters are not real. It certainly seems people are too daggum touchy these days. I wish I could slap all those mawmees nice and hard across the face!

No No No No!

:twisted: Certainly makes me wish Jason from Friday the 13th would come and jab all these over protective mommies a bakers dozen each. :twisted:

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:28 am

The billboards on public view thus they should be g-rated and for a general audience. What they do in their park is their own business. I would not want a child under 12 years old to see a disfigured woman. I do not see it as wrongful censorship.

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:57 am

Amen, sister! I've been ranting about this over on Board X. It's just another case over of overprotective soccer moms trying to shield little Dillon from anything even remotely disturbing while making sure he gets plenty of trophies for doing nothing. When he grows up without any real-world coping skills, she'll scratch her bubbly head in confusion.

My mother didn't believe in babysitters, so I saw Night of the Living Dead at the age of three, and pretty much every other horror movie that came out. No traumatic effects on me, just a love of Halloween. Those billboards accurately portray just what HHN is all about. If you don't like it, don't look. I doubt many Soccer Mom Spawn are really seeing it anyway because their little noses are glued to the entertainment system in the SUV Soccermobile...God forbid they have to sit without external amusement for more than two minutes.

These morons come from the same mold as those who actually bring young kids to HHN, despite the fact that it is not recommended and they don't even sell kids' tickets, then whine that it was, "Too scary." Maybe if the billboards portray that up front, the idiots won't bring 'em. Last year I just loved watching idiots traipse into the Rocky Horror show with 5 year olds (seriously), then storm out when the nudity and language began. DUH!!
Sarah Magdalene wrote:LOL! Another argument of pointless censorship ...

Violent scary images bug them and their little brats? Geez, that's YOUR job you stupid mommy to reassure your pwecious angel that monsters are not real. It certainly seems people are too daggum touchy these days. I wish I could slap all those mawmees nice and hard across the face!

No No No No!

:twisted: Certainly makes me wish Jason from Friday the 13th would come and jab all these over protective mommies a bakers dozen each. :twisted:

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:08 am

I'd rather they post pictures of accidents and victims to prevent DUI's and Reckless Driving :cool:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

albino_pygmy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: Magic Kingdom
Department: Jungle Navigation Co
Position: Skipper

Post by albino_pygmy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:32 am

Now there's a little editorial to follow up on this story:
OrlandoSentinel.com
EDITORIAL
We think: Universal's gruesome billboards show the community little regard
September 5, 2008

Freedom of expression? We're all for it. Capitalism? We're big fans. Universal Orlando's latest bit of advertising to make a buck? The company would do itself and the community it professes to serve a lot better by returning to the drawing board.

Its billboards hawking a white-eyed ghoul named Bloody Mary, which Universal hopes will attract people to its Halloween Horror Nights extravaganza, are too unsettling for many of Orlando's minors.

Universal admits the event may be "too intense" for young children. Why, then, subject them to it?

Come on, Universal. In your community outreach program, you speak of your commitment to "education, children and families." Here's a chance to show that they, not Bloody Mary and your bottom line, come first.

Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel
Universal knows that stupid parents bring their kids, no matter how young, to HHN. I've worked 2 years of HHN in the streets, and have seen many strollers pass by through my scarezone (usually towards the park exit while their poor kid is screaming their head off) Didn't you not see the "This event is NOT intended for children" printed on just about every sign that advertises HHN? You should have passed by 10 signs on your way to the front gate.

I personally don't see anything wrong with their billboard, since it's pretty much the same style billboard as the previous years, showcasing the event's icon character. If Universal did tone down their billboard, to lets say, just plain text "Halloween Horror Nights 18" That isn't as exciting or attention grasping, plus it doesn't show you how intense the event is. Sure it looks pretty scary, and that's what it's supposted to look like. There is a line between what you should or shouldn't post in public view, and I don't think Universal has ever crossed that line with any of their billboards.

Even though this story is a bit ridiculous and should have been thrown out when the news first got a call from these whiney mommies, it's still good press for Universal which promotes the event as a haunted attraction NOT intended for kids which is a GOOD THING, but we could do without the whole bitchfest that is "I don't wanna look at that or hear about it until I go to sleep (commenting on them wanting to limit the commercials to late night) I haven't seen any HHN commercials yet, but I would assume it's the same one as on the HHN website. I can't remember if the previous years commercials had complaints on them or not, but it's the same style as previous years, and I don't see any problem with them. There's no blood, guts, or gore, or violence, just the scare factor that makes you either interested in going to HHN, or draws you away from HHN but doesn't disturb you that much. What these uptight mommies need to know that it's just for entertainment purposes only, it's all FAKE and it's all for FUN. If they have made such a big fuss over a stupid billboard, I wonder what they're doing with the raising cost of gas prices, the war in Iraq, and the rest of the real world problems?

Skipper's General Warning!
Reading of this signature might result in the following:
Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
Consult a physician if read thoroughly.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:40 am

So any image goes, and it's the parents fault for not preparing their kids' innocent eyes for what might someday be put on a billboard? I don't think so.

I agree with Churchy. The TV programmers pushing non-family-friendly material can use the (valid) "you can always turn the TV off or change the channel" argument, but that's not possible with a billboard.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:41 am

Syndrome wrote:Amen, sister! I've been ranting about this over on Board X. It's just another case over of overprotective soccer moms trying to shield little Dillon from anything even remotely disturbing while making sure he gets plenty of trophies for doing nothing. When he grows up without any real-world coping skills, she'll scratch her bubbly head in confusion.

My mother didn't believe in babysitters, so I saw Night of the Living Dead at the age of three, and pretty much every other horror movie that came out. No traumatic effects on me, just a love of Halloween. Those billboards accurately portray just what HHN is all about. If you don't like it, don't look. I doubt many Soccer Mom Spawn are really seeing it anyway because their little noses are glued to the entertainment system in the SUV Soccermobile...God forbid they have to sit without external amusement for more than two minutes.

These morons come from the same mold as those who actually bring young kids to HHN, despite the fact that it is not recommended and they don't even sell kids' tickets, then whine that it was, "Too scary." Maybe if the billboards portray that up front, the idiots won't bring 'em. Last year I just loved watching idiots traipse into the Rocky Horror show with 5 year olds (seriously), then storm out when the nudity and language began. DUH!!
Oh yeah, I mean honestly - I've seen far scarier things on Discovery channel's various shows featuring medical issues (people with messed up faces due to accidents or defects, larger then life tumors) complete with full view doctors doing surgery. ICK ICK! Maybe I'm kinda hardened to such things cause I have a theatrical and film background and have worked with bloodpacks, fight scenes, stabbing scenes (one including myself being the stabbed) so I know it's all fake. If stupid mawmee and dadee don't like the signs, tell their kid to focus on something else. Hmm, say like look down at a picture book in their laps.

Amen on the whole trophies for nothing business. I recall a kid carrying around her trophy in a doctors office and when people asked what she did to get it, she looked up at her mom to ask what it was for. Mom said, "We don't single people out in Cheerleading, we makes ALL children feel accomplished." THE KID DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HER OWN TROPHY WAS FOR?! All she knows is that she got one.

I hear ya on the mini entertainment systems too. In a friend's neighborhood, I saw a lady taking a walk with her daughter - with the child waking along side carrying a mini dvd player half heartedly following along as she was zoned in on the screen. Ditto with a man and his daughter at the outlet mall Yesterday, his kid was sitting in her umbrella stroller with a dvd player in her lap.

I can bet these moms will be the same one calling their kids college professors and screaming as to why their kid got ___ on their finals, going to the job fairs and doing all the interviewing FOR their kids, and then going to the work place and chewing out the boss when their 22 year old has not gotten a raise. And yes, these are all real experiences I have heard of from a professor I assisted last summer.

LOL on the people walking out of Rocky Horror!!! I'd so purposely use bad language and scream out all the "replies" at the top my my lungs just to make sure they hear it - just to get them out of there.

They wanna go fun Halloween stuff for their kids? Hello bird brained twit-waffle lady soccer mom, you got plenty of church sponsored events and Mickey's Not So Scary to go to.

Thing is, some kids can take the scary stuff. One of my attendants was talking about how much he LOVED all the old school monster movies at the age of 4-5. Dracula, Mummy, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Blob, etc.

We try to teach my niece not to be scared of such things and inform her about monsters and scary things she sees. For instance, she loves the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz cause she knows her best from the Broadway musical Wicked, in which (pun not intended) Elphaba (her REAL name) is put in a good light. She has gotten Egyptian themed toys from a kiddy meal once. One of them was king Tuts tomb. She asked what it was and her mom told her the truth. It's pretty casket where the Egyptian royals buried their dead. Did learning about a fancy-ass casket scare her? NO! She was 4, knew the word sarcophagus, pronounced it correctly, and knew what it was used for. Educate the kid about "scary" stuff. She also loves her Halloween black cat toy named Scardy - arched back and all.

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:42 am

The only "good" thing about this travesty taking up any news time is that that's less time devoted to the Casey Anthony circus...I swear I get nauseous every time I even hear that name anymore.

This HHN billboard brouhaha is just about as stupid as the outcry from a FL humane society over the Checker's Rapcat promotion a year or two ago. I swear, this sort of thing makes Floridians look more and more like whiney idiots, and as a Floridian myself I find the whiners to be the most offensive thing of all.

Get a grip, Orlando Overreactive Mommies or whatever you call yourselves! It's a freakin' billboard! If you don't like it, don't look...and if it scares your kid, maybe little Johnny needs some toughening up or he'll have a heart attack the first time you turn on cable TV.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:56 am

They had an outcry over RAPCAT?! I thought Rapcat was awesome! What the heck was wring with Rapcat?

What overly sensitive idiots!

Oh oh, how about when the whole city of Boston was stopped to a halt due to a faulty light up ad from the Cartoon Network.

- Blaine Anderson, GLEE