Finally, a good comeback from me

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Finally, a good comeback from me

Post by GuestJockey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:30 am

We had a great class discussion on whether or not the term "exotic" is racist, since it is a way of class-ing people, even though it's a romantic way. I'm still not sure where I fall on the issue, but I always think about it when I hear it used.

In my opinion, PC has gone too far. Most of the problem could be solved if we could just learn to talk to each other. If I can't TELL exactly where you're from, I'll go broader and say "Asian" or "Hispanic". If that bothers you, TELL me. Don't YELL at me or tell someone ELSE it bothers you, but just tell me. I don't mean any harm by it, and I can start calling you "Vietnamese" now that I know - which will help OTHERS know where you're from so THEY won't do it. When did we decide we couldn't just TALK to each other?

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:47 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Never understood that myself, actually. I think of "The Orient" and it seems like something you'd romanticize (and yes, I realize that is because it was romanticized).
Well, since you asked...

Many people don't like to be called "Oriental" because it makes them sound like an object instead of a person. You know - rugs and vases are Oriental. People are Asian. Does that make sense? Some Asians don't care one way or the other, but since many do, I default to "Asian" until I know what the person in question prefers. I don't think that's being overly PC - that's just polite.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Amphigorey wrote:...I don't think that's being overly PC - that's just polite.
I think you're on to something here. I suspect simple politeness would solve most if not all of the animosity that exists in our society -- politeness not just in a speaker choosing his or her words carefully, but also in a hearer assuming good intentions in the speaker until proven otherwise, and being slow to take offense.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Just Me
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Just Me » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:16 am

Doctor McKey wrote:Well..... you can tell some nationalities apart by style of clothing, hair cut, and skin tone.

I know what you mean tho.. I like the old saying... and i forget where it comes from but it goes a little something like this...

"I am human, If you cut me.. Dont I bleed red... Dont you bleed red..."
From Shakespeare...Merchant of Venice...a quote from Shylock about how he is treated as a Jew in Venice at the time.

"I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means,
warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison
us, do we not die?"

And so it has gone from Shakespeare till today. We all want the world to know that we are simply human first and anything else second.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:23 pm

GuestJockey wrote:I don't mean any harm by it, and I can start calling you "Vietnamese" now that I know -
Better yet, just call them by their name.

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:52 am

Which is fine unless your name is Phuc Yu. :eek: :D: ;)

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Canuikstan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Canuikstan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:51 am

Cranbiz wrote:Which is fine unless your name is Phuc Yu. :eek: :D: ;)
OMG! There was a Vietnamese guy in my grad 6 class named Phuc Vu! (with a V instead of a Y).. we just called him Phil ;)

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm

GuestJockey wrote:We had a great class discussion on whether or not the term "exotic" is racist, since it is a way of class-ing people, even though it's a romantic way. I'm still not sure where I fall on the issue, but I always think about it when I hear it used.
That was probably an interesting discussion.

I'm not sure "exotic" is racist as such, but it certainly has the effect of "other"-ing people - that is, casting people in two camps: 'normal, everyday' and 'exotic.' In other words, Not Like You and Me. That fosters division, and makes people seem more different than they actually are. So, yeah, I think if you use "exotic," you should use it with care and good judgment.

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:00 am

Amphigorey wrote:That was probably an interesting discussion.

I'm not sure "exotic" is racist as such, but it certainly has the effect of "other"-ing people - that is, casting people in two camps: 'normal, everyday' and 'exotic.' In other words, Not Like You and Me. That fosters division, and makes people seem more different than they actually are. So, yeah, I think if you use "exotic," you should use it with care and good judgment.
Did anyone see the episode of "The Office" where the Stamford Branch moves into the Scranton Branch and Michael meets Karen and says something like, "Wow, you're very EXOTIC looking. Was your dad in the military?" :eek:

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Widget wrote:Or Romulan.
If they bleed green and they're smiling, they're definitely Romulan.

Unless it's a Vulcan during Pon Farr...then you're in real trouble.

Far as referring to someone as 'that' -fill in the skin color or race- I also find that to be offensive.

It's interesting, we've had the same next door neighbor for six years. I always thought she was a really nice lady. Once in the past, she made a quick remark that gave me pause about the changing face of our neighborhood (we're in a highly multi-cultural area, with this I have no issue) but our neighbor just announced she was moving out.

I felt terrible about it- until she made a remark to my husband and I when we hapened to be at her place of employment shopping (in front of her coworkers no less) that she was moving because she was 'sick of being the minority.'

Needless to say, we won't be shedding a single tear when the moving truck arrives. Buh bye.

I can't tolerate racism. Wallaby, I am so glad you didn't get beat up- and I echo your hopes we can eradicate hate in my daughter's generation.

I know she takes great offense at discrimination, against people of different backgrounds, against gays...any and all. Hate is hate, and life is just too short for it.

As the classic Lennon song goes..."You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one..."

If that makes me a hippie, oh well LOL

Bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane