Finally, a good comeback from me

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Finally, a good comeback from me

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:56 am

Today, the Wallaby Household had an interesting schedule. Little Wallaby works mornings, and I evenings. Due to scheduling and other stuff, I wound up having to drive her to work at 8 this morning, then go back to bed because at that point I had slept about 3 hours. Later, in street clothes, I took the car to her parking lot at Yacht Club and took her the keys and then on to TTC to go to work. As I was passing the gazebo where CPs wait for their bus. As I was passing there were three young black men having a conversation, when one of them commented how "that white boy" did this that and the other.

I turned and looked at him. Might even have been staring after a moment. It captured his attention. "What choo lookin' at?"

I shook my head and replied, "Oh, nothing." Then, the most brilliant thought entered my head. "Just a racist."

"What choo talkin' about? I ain't racist, I ain't white!"

"Well, I know I am not racist, because I wouldn't make comments regarding to someone who was black... or any other skin color... as 'boy' because of their skin color. I don't even think in those terms, much less talk like that. I don't look down on you for being black. But I do now, 'cause you're racist."

He continued with some racial slurs and epithets against me as I walked away, but I could see the wheels turning in the heads of the other guys he was talking to.

I'm so glad I didn't get beat up.

Of course, it would have been interesting at that point because they were in costume, and I was not wearing my name tag and my ID was still tucked away in my backpack at that point, where I would have conveniently not found it and just stayed a Cast Member's spouse for a bit.

I hate racists, no matter what color their skin. I don't hang with white people who show racist tendencies, because they disgust me. I would rather we all get along, except the SG's and we'll all just go ahead and continue what we do about SG's here.

You think we can eradicate racism in one more generation?

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Finally, a good comeback from me

Post by Cranbiz » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:04 am

What a great comeback.

Unfortunately so very true too! The definition of a racist,someone who makes judgements based on Race, creed, religion, color or sex. It does not mean that the only people who can be racists are white!

A true story:

One day after a late class a friend and I were going back to his car, which was parked in a remote lot at Northeastern University (the Columbus Ave lot for those who know Boston from the late 70's). This lot was actually in Roxbury, which was a black poor section of Boston at the time. As we were walking to the car, a young black security guard questioned us about our business as we were near the car. We had the right answers and started a conversation with him. Turns out he was watching the car (it was a 67 Chevy Impala convertable, fully restored and a fine ride). He came out with the statement that he did not want any N........s messing with his ride. When we looked shocked, he then stated that in his opinion, black, white, purple, pink or yellow, anyone who would FU another mans fine ride was a N....r.

That man got it. I do wish more people were like him. I am proud to say he still is a friend a pillar in the community and a sucessful business man to this day.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:54 am

Eracism is good word! I have seen it on tee shirts on youth here in Denver!

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 am

Cranbiz wrote:What a great comeback.

Unfortunately so very true too! The definition of a racist,someone who makes judgements based on Race, creed, religion, color or sex. It does not mean that the only people who can be racists are white!

A true story:

One day after a late class a friend and I were going back to his car, which was parked in a remote lot at Northeastern University (the Columbus Ave lot for those who know Boston from the late 70's). This lot was actually in Roxbury, which was a black poor section of Boston at the time. As we were walking to the car, a young black security guard questioned us about our business as we were near the car. We had the right answers and started a conversation with him. Turns out he was watching the car (it was a 67 Chevy Impala convertable, fully restored and a fine ride). He came out with the statement that he did not want any N........s messing with his ride. When we looked shocked, he then stated that in his opinion, black, white, purple, pink or yellow, anyone who would FU another mans fine ride was a N....r.

That man got it. I do wish more people were like him. I am proud to say he still is a friend a pillar in the community and a sucessful business man to this day.
I have also heard that that word is used for anyone who would be racist. I heard that way back in the 1970's, that long ago!

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 am

I recommend the blog Racialicious (http://www.racialicious.com) for good discussions about race, modern culture, and pop culture. It's uneven, which is normal for a blog with multiple contributors, but there's interesting and enlightening stuff there.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:As I was passing there were three young black men having a conversation, when one of them commented how "that white boy" did this that and the other.
I often use "that black girl" or "that asian lady" (or whatever) often when I have to describe someone. I don't think it's offensive or even racist, it's a way of identifying a person when I talk about them to others. If I say to another CM, "Remember? We worked with Gracie all week." and the person is clueless about who I was talking about, I'd say, "You know - that Hispanic girl."

It's not putting down anyone at all. It's saying something like, "The guy with a beard." or "That older lady with white hair."

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Sarah Magdalene wrote:I often use "that black girl" or "that asian lady" (or whatever) often when I have to describe someone. I don't think it's offensive or even racist, it's a way of identifying a person when I talk about them to others. If I say to another CM, "Remember? We worked with Gracie all week." and the person is clueless about who I was talking about, I'd say, "You know - that Hispanic girl."

It's not putting down anyone at all. It's saying something like, "The guy with a beard." or "That older lady with white hair."
Here is the problem with that train of thaught...

Alot of people of color... dont like to be catagorized as black... From the ones i have met in the past, true Africans arnt black, they are African... and they sure as hell dont want to be put in the same circle as american "blacks"

Some asians i know who are south karean want to be known as such... not as asian or as just plain karean... remember teh north and the south arent all that friendly.

And is "that Hispanic girl" from Mexico, Spain, Cuba, etc... Cubans are very proud people and hate being lumped into the hispanic sterotype.

Just my dollar fifty... take it or leave it...

Oh ya.. BW..... Right on Man.... Keep up the good work...

The Doctor

Note from Big Wallaby - This guy snorts pixie dust! Ask me for details...

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:11 pm

The only problem with people wanting to be identified as their true nationality is, you'd have to stamp it on them practically. That could lead to alot of problems. I remember somebody telling me that after 9/11, this one convenience store guy got beaten up by a mob who thought he was Iraqi; he was actually Guatemalean. And face it, there are some people of certain races who don't "look their race". Not all Mexicans are Mexican in that they speak Spanish; some are indigeous (sp?) Indians, who don't speak Spanish, they speak Aztec, Nahuatl, etc..
And how can you tell if an Asian person is Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.? Even some Native American people hve almond eyes, because Native Americans came over here from Asia over the land bridge between Russia and Alaska. And some Asians have settled into different parts of the world--there's a Japanese segment of society in places like Argentina and Chile.

It stinks that we have this tendency to have different opinions, not always favorable, of people who are just a little different from us. But unfortunately, that's life.

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:49 pm

felinefan wrote:The only problem with people wanting to be identified as their true nationality is, you'd have to stamp it on them practically. That could lead to alot of problems. I remember somebody telling me that after 9/11, this one convenience store guy got beaten up by a mob who thought he was Iraqi; he was actually Guatemalean. And face it, there are some people of certain races who don't "look their race". Not all Mexicans are Mexican in that they speak Spanish; some are indigeous (sp?) Indians, who don't speak Spanish, they speak Aztec, Nahuatl, etc..
And how can you tell if an Asian person is Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.? Even some Native American people hve almond eyes, because Native Americans came over here from Asia over the land bridge between Russia and Alaska. And some Asians have settled into different parts of the world--there's a Japanese segment of society in places like Argentina and Chile.

It stinks that we have this tendency to have different opinions, not always favorable, of people who are just a little different from us. But unfortunately, that's life.
Well..... you can tell some nationalities apart by style of clothing, hair cut, and skin tone.

I know what you mean tho.. I like the old saying... and i forget where it comes from but it goes a little something like this...

"I am human, If you cut me.. Dont I bleed red... Dont you bleed red..."

Note from Big Wallaby - This guy snorts pixie dust! Ask me for details...

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Doctor McKey wrote:Well..... you can tell some nationalities apart by style of clothing, hair cut, and skin tone.

I know what you mean tho.. I like the old saying... and i forget where it comes from but it goes a little something like this...

"I am human, If you cut me.. Dont I bleed red... Dont you bleed red..."
If they bleed green, they're Vulcan...

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter