I was term'ed without being..term'ed?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
HarryFromMarydelDE
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: I was term'ed without being..term'ed?

Post by HarryFromMarydelDE » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 am

In the Confectionery we wear the same costume as the Plaza restaurant, but we don't wear an apron while the Plaza does, and we wear a hat and bow tie while the Plaza doesn't. The little picture they have at costuming shows the correct costume, but time after time they send people on their first day with no hat or tie and with an apron! What's more, a couple months ago I was working paperwork in the money room when someone from the ice cream shop came in. That is I assumed they were from the ice cream shop because that was the costume they were wearing. Since I was the only person around I asked them what they needed. It turned out the CM was EHH from another park and costuming had given them that costume (which does not even vaguely resemble ours.) This was after they had pointed out several times that the costume was nothing like the one in the picture, but costuming assured them the picture was wrong! And by the time they got to Main Street costuming was closed :( Our managers managed to get in touch with a costuming manager and get the EHH CM the right costume. I would like to think they got paid during the whole fiasco since it was not only not their fault but they had actually tried to avert it, but I never did find out.

-Harry

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. -Jack Handy

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:05 am

Tinker Bell wrote:LOL!!! I think half the neighbors heard me laughing.

Costuming really does have issues. I always have to be extra early because you never know what kind of mess costuming has. Can you imagine these people if they had to work with the guest? I imagine the line in guest relations would be so big, they would have most cast members working there. :p:
I think that's why a number of them are in Costuming. The company knows they won't be any good in a guest area so they stick them somewhere they only have to deal with CMs.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:20 pm

ectomstr wrote:most of the people i've encountered have been nice (ok mainly the older gentleman Bill) ...
I love Bill. One of the few good guys in Costuming.

Costuming is on my sh*t list right now. Tuesday I go in to do my weekly swap out of costumes. The lady at the checkout tells me there are some charges on my record and prints out the information. Costuming declared my tie and suspenders lost without even telling me. I wear them for 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week, they're definitely not lost. I see no point in taking them in all the time so when I checked them out months ago I kept them. I like the tie (one of the few good ones they have) and the suspenders fit me perfectly.

The idiot who was "helping" me kept insisting I must have more than one of each out putting me over the limit despite the fact I kept insisting I only had one of each and that according the the printouts she gave me the limit is 3 for those items. I keep track of what I have out from costuming so I knew I only had one of each out. I can tell you without looking that right now I have 1 MS Merch tie, 1 MS Merch suspenders, 4 MS Merch shirts, 4 MS Merch pants, 1 MS Merch vest, 1 MS Merch cap, 1 maintenance belt, 1 stocker shirt, 1 stocker pants, a raincoat, a raingear pouch, and a garment bag. I never have more than 1 of most of these things out at a time. I do this to try to avoid issues.

I go in this morning to straighten the mess out. I showed the lady at the customer service counter the tie and suspenders and explained the situation. She wrote some things down on the print outs and told me she'd give it to a manager who will fix it.

I decided to check my paystub to see if they charged me and it turns out they did, three moths ago! Three months pass and nobody tells me I've been charged until this past Tuesday? There's something wrong there. They deducted $21.14 too, $5.00 for the tie, $15.00 for the suspenders, and $1.14 for taxes I guess.

I'm going to keep a closer eye on my GUS record and paystub from now on. If they haven't reversed the deduction in 2 weeks I'll be back in there to make sure it gets done.

They better not take forever to get me a new nametag either. I lost mine the other day so I ordered a new one.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…

-Walt Disney
Keep moving forward

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:30 am

Shorty82 wrote:I love Bill. One of the few good guys in Costuming.

Costuming is on my sh*t list right now. Tuesday I go in to do my weekly swap out of costumes. The lady at the checkout tells me there are some charges on my record and prints out the information. Costuming declared my tie and suspenders lost without even telling me. I wear them for 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week, they're definitely not lost. I see no point in taking them in all the time so when I checked them out months ago I kept them. I like the tie (one of the few good ones they have) and the suspenders fit me perfectly.

The idiot who was "helping" me kept insisting I must have more than one of each out putting me over the limit despite the fact I kept insisting I only had one of each and that according the the printouts she gave me the limit is 3 for those items. I keep track of what I have out from costuming so I knew I only had one of each out. I can tell you without looking that right now I have 1 MS Merch tie, 1 MS Merch suspenders, 4 MS Merch shirts, 4 MS Merch pants, 1 MS Merch vest, 1 MS Merch cap, 1 maintenance belt, 1 stocker shirt, 1 stocker pants, a raincoat, a raingear pouch, and a garment bag. I never have more than 1 of most of these things out at a time. I do this to try to avoid issues.

I go in this morning to straighten the mess out. I showed the lady at the customer service counter the tie and suspenders and explained the situation. She wrote some things down on the print outs and told me she'd give it to a manager who will fix it.

I decided to check my paystub to see if they charged me and it turns out they did, three moths ago! Three months pass and nobody tells me I've been charged until this past Tuesday? There's something wrong there. They deducted $21.14 too, $5.00 for the tie, $15.00 for the suspenders, and $1.14 for taxes I guess.

I'm going to keep a closer eye on my GUS record and paystub from now on. If they haven't reversed the deduction in 2 weeks I'll be back in there to make sure it gets done.

They better not take forever to get me a new nametag either. I lost mine the other day so I ordered a new one.
That sucks, I've had a few run-ins with Costume pieces being declared lost without them actually being so, but I've never been charged.

If they don't refunding the deduction, I would suggest marching in with a Shop Steward.

And I'm still surprised that WDW still handles Nametags through Costuming. We fixed that whole debacle here at the DLR by taking it away from Costuming and giving it to Cast Activities/TEAM Centres. It's much more convenient to get a replacement nametag, and takes all of 5 minutes, not 5 weeks :rolleyes: .

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:36 am

Shorty82 wrote:I'm going to keep a closer eye on my GUS record and paystub from now on. If they haven't reversed the deduction in 2 weeks I'll be back in there to make sure it gets done.
Shorty, just a shot in the dark as I'm at DLR. Wouldn't this $$ issue be better resolved by going to or calling Payroll Dept? Seems if I have a concern payroll always helps me out. Disclaimer; my advice is free & ya know where that'll get you. ;)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:17 am

Main Streeter wrote: Disclaimer; my advice is free & ya know where that'll get you. ;)
1. Metropolitan State Hospital
2. Jail
3. Unemployment line
4. Homeless Shelter
5. All of the above

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:28 am

glendalais wrote:If they don't refunding the deduction, I would suggest marching in with a Shop Steward.
If they give me any grief when I go in to find out why they haven't reversed the charges I'll call a Steward.
And I'm still surprised that WDW still handles Nametags through Costuming. We fixed that whole debacle here at the DLR by taking it away from Costuming and giving it to Cast Activities/TEAM Centres. It's much more convenient to get a replacement nametag, and takes all of 5 minutes, not 5 weeks :rolleyes: .
Maybe because whoever makes those decisions are idiots? I'm still surprised that they can get me a correct nametag in just a little while while in Traditions but it takes weeks for CMs who are actually working so need one ASAP to get one. It can't that long to make them.
Main Streeter wrote:Shorty, just a shot in the dark as I'm at DLR. Wouldn't this $$ issue be better resolved by going to or calling Payroll Dept? Seems if I have a concern payroll always helps me out. Disclaimer; my advice is free & ya know where that'll get you. ;)
If I can't get it straightened out through Costuming I'll give them a call.

-Walt Disney
Keep moving forward

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:12 pm

I am so happy I have never had any issues with costuming..yet (knock on wood). And hopefully it stays that way, since I have to get a new costume everytime I have to work.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Hawkeye
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:30 pm

I work in Ad/Lib Ops. 6 attractions, 6 different costumes. I'm trained at 4 of the 6 now, with #5 soon. Possibility to be scheduled at any of them on any given week depending on my preferences. I have *lots* of accessory items on my GUS record. And heaven forbid I try and keep a jacket for each specific attraction. Thankfully Haunted Mansion is such a specific cold weather jacket that they can't count that one. (Cannot wear the black peacoat over coat and tails). But yeah at MK costuming Bill is a pretty nice guy. So is uhhh, Glenn I think his name is. But yeah my area is in a constant battle with costuming to get our job done. Sometimes I just give up and do special issue and bring it back eventually. They seem to not go after charging for special issue stuff for at least a week, so I just turn it in when I do my weekly swap out.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:40 pm

glendalais wrote:If they don't refunding the deduction, I would suggest marching in with a Shop Steward.
I suggest marching in with a Shop Steward the first time. Let's 'em know you mean business, and if they give you any flack you can start step one of the grievance process right away.

Zazu