I was term'ed without being..term'ed?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: I was term'ed without being..term'ed?

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:28 am

I had no luck yesterday getting my pants for the week. I found one pair and when I finally found some one to help me (after going through a few others apparently to busy to help) he tried to persuade me to get a pair larger in the waist. These pants are held up by suspenders and I hang stuff from the waist, no way a larger size is going to work for me. He did check the rack of costumes that just came in from the laundry but no luck. I'm going to stop by on my way into work today and see if I can find a few more pairs.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 am

Teenaged SG: I want to work here some day.

10 years later

Stupid Costumer: Like that is all I got like a xxxL shirt or the xs shirt.
CM: I am late for work and need a medium shirt.
SC: WEEE look what I can do.
CM: Them racks are not a jungle gym and I have to have a medium shirt, NOW.
SC: I am reporting your insulting me.

Churchy knows where the SGs go when Disney hires them by accident, muahaha, costuming.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 am

Shorty82 wrote:I had no luck yesterday getting my pants for the week. I found one pair and when I finally found some one to help me (after going through a few others apparently to busy to help) he tried to persuade me to get a pair larger in the waist. These pants are held up by suspenders and I hang stuff from the waist, no way a larger size is going to work for me. He did check the rack of costumes that just came in from the laundry but no luck. I'm going to stop by on my way into work today and see if I can find a few more pairs.
No luck at all yesterday. Not one pair in my size had come in. I'm hoping some have when I check on my way in today.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…

-Walt Disney
Keep moving forward

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:49 pm

And that's the reason that I only use costuming when absolutely necessary.

I have my costume allotment and just wash them at home, this way I have costumes that fit and no hassles in trying to find something in my size every week. (after all, I'm a big boy)

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Terrytunes
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Terrytunes » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Cranbiz wrote:And that's the reason that I only use costuming when absolutely necessary.

I have my costume allotment and just wash them at home, this way I have costumes that fit and no hassles in trying to find something in my size every week. (after all, I'm a big boy)
I always did that. That's all good if you don't have to exchange a costume for a different Land or area. I hated getting a bank shift because I would have to give up one of my ME costumes for a one time bank shift. And during the summer there was always the chance that when I turned in a pair of shorts in my size, I might not get another pair of shorts for the whole summer. Or worse, get a pair with a stupid zipper. (I ALWAYS check the zipper!)

TT

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Cranbiz wrote:And that's the reason that I only use costuming when absolutely necessary.

I don't have my own washer and dryer (yet, will soon hopefully) and there is no way I'm going to use a coin laundry to wash my work clothes when Disney will for free.

Had wonderful luck at Costuming today. Went in this morning to see if any pants have come in yet, none had but a manager saw I needed assistance and was a wonderful help. He took down my information and is going to order more pants. He also gave me permission to start using special wash, which is done right there in the building so the turn around is only a day.

Costuming is open until 8:00 on Fridays (vs. the normal 6:00 closing time) so I stopped in on my way out (worked until 7:30 today) just to see and, what do you know, they had more pants in my size finally. I would have loved to checked them all out but could only get four of them. From now on I think I'll check the rack before turning in my dirty costumes and if there isn't enough of my size in I'll do the special wash.

Once I get my own washer and dryer I'm thinking I'll start washing my own shirts and pants (no reason to wash one and not the other myself) to avoid this issue ever again. The vests have to be dry cleaned so I'll leave that to Costuming but I've never had any problems at all getting vests.
Terrytunes wrote:I always did that. That's all good if you don't have to exchange a costume for a different Land or area. I hated getting a bank shift because I would have to give up one of my ME costumes for a one time bank shift. And during the summer there was always the chance that when I turned in a pair of shorts in my size, I might not get another pair of shorts for the whole summer. Or worse, get a pair with a stupid zipper. (I ALWAYS check the zipper!)

TT
You couldn't get them to override the limit when you have just one shift in another costume? Then again MK costuming can be jerks about overriding. One day, back when I changed at work (before I started working a LOT of hours a week), I stopped into costuming to pick up some fresh costumes planning on bringing the dirty ones back in a few minutes. The woman checking me out was a jerk about overriding the limit on my vests even after telling her I'd be right back with the dirty vests in as long as it takes to get from there and into the park and back. She finally did override me and in just a few minutes I was back with the dirty vests and back under the limit. How was I supposed to know I'm limited to three vests? I was told in training full-timers (this happened shortly after becoming full time) are allowed 5 complete costumes and nobody said anything about the vests having a different limit. I had two costumes out at the time and was checking out two costumes.

-Walt Disney
Keep moving forward

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:38 pm

Ugh ... costuming.

I am a Cross-U facilitator with the YES (Youth Education Series) program. Being a cross-u, basically, my area "loans" me out to YES occasionally ... generally about once or twice a month. The only place you can get a YES shirt is at Epcot. When I started facilitating, I went to see one of the costuming managers at Epcot, because my YES trainers and managers had told me that it was possible to have them put a note on my file stating that I was allowed one YES costume in addition to the normal 5-costume limit.

So, on my 3rd trip over there to find this manager (who is apparently the only one in all of WDW that can put said note on my costuming file), I ask him if it would be possible. His response was "Yeah, it's possible, we've done it before, but why should we do it for you?", to which I responded "Epcot is the only place I can get this costume, I don't work at Epcot, and due to the hours that YES programs run, i'd have to get the shirt the day before I facilitate, and thus it is phenomenally inconvenient for me to get a new one each time I facilitate, so I'd like to be able to keep it, and still check out other costumes." (at the time, I was getting regularly scheduled at 3 different locations, all with different costumes, in my statused area, and was already pushing the costume limit).

He finally said that he'd add the note, but that it was a one-time courtesy, and I shouldn't expect any favors from him in the future. Favor? YES pays (at least part of) the cost of each of those shirts, and the YES managers told me to do it, and thus keep that shirt out of inventory. How was he doing me a favor?

(I'd also like to add that I've played against the Costuming softball team, and a lot (not all) of their players are jerks even away from work ... best example is when a 350+ pound costuming 2nd baseman said that my 110 pound base-runner had pushed him out off the base, and then said we were poor sports when we pointed out the size difference and questioned how she could have pushed him)

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:46 pm

If something like that happened to me during my working days, I'd make sure that person was gone within a week. There's no place for that kinda crap in any organization.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Costuming started trying to pull the you can either have a jacket or sweatshirt not both shit with the drivers.

The sweatshirt IS the liner for the jacket. I had to turn in my jacket because ig got grease stained while I was broken down and they would not let me check out another jacket. I had to go back with a transportation manager to get another jacket.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tinker Bell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:19 pm

mechurchlady wrote:Teenaged SG: I want to work here some day.

10 years later

Stupid Costumer: Like that is all I got like a xxxL shirt or the xs shirt.
CM: I am late for work and need a medium shirt.
SC: WEEE look what I can do.
CM: Them racks are not a jungle gym and I have to have a medium shirt, NOW.
SC: I am reporting your insulting me.

Churchy knows where the SGs go when Disney hires them by accident, muahaha, costuming.
LOL!!! I think half the neighbors heard me laughing.

Costuming really does have issues. I always have to be extra early because you never know what kind of mess costuming has. Can you imagine these people if they had to work with the guest? I imagine the line in guest relations would be so big, they would have most cast members working there. :p: