I was term'ed without being..term'ed?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Terrytunes
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: I was term'ed without being..term'ed?

Post by Terrytunes » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 am

Beyond the problem I previously mentioned, the only trouble I had with Costuming was when I forgot my navy blue cardigan sweater in the booth the day before and it was cold. I decided, since I knew that they wouldn't issue a 2nd sweater to me, I would check out a light weight Ticket Taker's coat, not the heavy weight one. They both look EXACTLY the same, ok? I go to check it out and am informed that Vacation Planners cannot check out the light weight coat, only the heavy weight coat. WHAT?! What difference does it make? They both look exactly the same! Wouldn't make more sense to allow the Ticket Takers to wear the heavy coat, and Vacation Planners (who work inside a ticket booth, where it's warm in the winter, cool in summer, not working in the elements) to use a light weight jacket?
I just gave them a disgusted look, told them to forget it, I would rather be cold than sweating in a heavy coat. Later that morining I went and got my sweater anyway. Jeez!

And the whole black belt issue!!! What is that about? Why can't they buy enough black belts? And if you forgot your belt that day, sorry, can't give you one on loan. Nope. Sorry. You're an idiot if you forgot your belt.

Oh, and one more issue that happened to a fellow CM. She came in about 1 hour before I finished my shift at the AP Center on Main Street. Part of the Main Street costume is a stupid looking red tie. My friend forgot hers in the car that was parked in the DLR CM parking lot, a 20 minute trip back from the park. We went to costuming to get a loaner that she was going to turn back in at the end of the day. The costuming CM asked her, "Where is the tie?" She said it was in the car in the CM parking lot. He told her that since the tie was technically on DL property, he could not issue her a 2nd tie, that she would have to go back to the car and get it. How anal is that? So that just taught me that when I had an issue like that in the future, lie to costuming.
I ended up giving my friend my tie at the end of my shift. The starting lead didn't mind her w/o a tie, the finishing lead did, so I gave her my tie as I left the bank and quickly exited off stage.

TT

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:I haven't been all that impressed with Costuming people, but the lady I am dealing with most of the time at Chip 'n Dale is pretty nice. But the worst was at AK. I had a coat stolen from my car, and the manager would not do anything about it, even with a police and Security report. So I owe the company close to $200 for something that I couldn't stop. Thanks a lot!
Wow! That is horrible!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:01 pm

joanna71985 wrote:Wow! That is horrible!
That's an understatement. It's f-ed up is what it is. BW, you shouldn't have to pay for a costume piece that was stolen from you. Have you tried talking to another costuming manager? Security and police reports should be more than enough to get you out of paying for the coat.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:18 pm

I've been blessed (for the most part) with my dealings with costuming in entertainment, although there have been a couple of issues.

At one time costuming saved my from the manager from Hades. I was the 5th person scheduled in for a role one day and we only have four pieces of a crucial costume part. Hmm, does this strike anybody else as problematic? I approached the manager, told them what happpened, and said that I had no problem switching roles or going home (that year they overshot their budget and were constantly trying to ER people, the role was not a popular one and nobody would notice if I wasn't there). I told him whatever they needed was fine by me. He said he wasn't the EMH manager and to talk to another person. I repeated it and she said, "on, you can just wear the piece that so and so wore earlier". This was an unwashed piece! At the time there was a bug going around, and I was not comfortable with it. Costuming heard about it, ran and got the costume, and threw it in the wash before she could go thorugh with it. She made them take another one out of the wash and dry it, even though it is supposed to be line dried- and this is the manager who won't even let us sit down to put on shoes because we might ruin the costume!

I have also learned to always keep an eye on my record card. One time I had an entire kitty on my record. I am about a foot to short to have a kitty on my record, it was definitely not mine. The guy gave me such flack about it and refused to take it off. Thankfully a friend of mine in costuming helped me out.

Petite and Proud!

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:53 am

Yeah..My Kitties seem to get everywhere too!!

hehehe

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:07 am

You never know where those kitties will bounce off to next!

Petite and Proud!

GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by GuestJockey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:32 am

I once spent about 20 minutes in costuming arguing with the girl over the letters "K" and "H".

She told me that I couldn't check out another shirt because GUS showed I had 5 checked out already and I was only supposed to have 3. I looked at the screen and it said I had 2 sHirts and 3 sKirts. I tried to point it out to her, but she was doing one of those "I know what I'm talking about so I'm not going to actually listen to what you're saying, I'll just repeat what I said the first time over and over and over" things like the City Hall guests do. It got to the point where I had to take a pen and paper out of my purse, write down the 2 words, and underline the "H"s and "K"s for her, while pulling on my sleeves and skirt pleats respectively in order to get her to realize that shirts and skirts, although they look similar in print, are different articles of clothing.

oi, indeed.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:02 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:I've been blessed (for the most part) with my dealings with costuming in entertainment, although there have been a couple of issues.

At one time costuming saved my from the manager from Hades. I was the 5th person scheduled in for a role one day and we only have four pieces of a crucial costume part. Hmm, does this strike anybody else as problematic? I approached the manager, told them what happpened, and said that I had no problem switching roles or going home (that year they overshot their budget and were constantly trying to ER people, the role was not a popular one and nobody would notice if I wasn't there). I told him whatever they needed was fine by me. He said he wasn't the EMH manager and to talk to another person. I repeated it and she said, "on, you can just wear the piece that so and so wore earlier". This was an unwashed piece! At the time there was a bug going around, and I was not comfortable with it. Costuming heard about it, ran and got the costume, and threw it in the wash before she could go thorugh with it. She made them take another one out of the wash and dry it, even though it is supposed to be line dried- and this is the manager who won't even let us sit down to put on shoes because we might ruin the costume!

I have also learned to always keep an eye on my record card. One time I had an entire kitty on my record. I am about a foot to short to have a kitty on my record, it was definitely not mine. The guy gave me such flack about it and refused to take it off. Thankfully a friend of mine in costuming helped me out.
I remember you telling me about that!! That is just plain gross!!

Yeah, you would think the guy would know how tall the kitty is.
GuestJockey wrote:I once spent about 20 minutes in costuming arguing with the girl over the letters "K" and "H".

She told me that I couldn't check out another shirt because GUS showed I had 5 checked out already and I was only supposed to have 3. I looked at the screen and it said I had 2 sHirts and 3 sKirts. I tried to point it out to her, but she was doing one of those "I know what I'm talking about so I'm not going to actually listen to what you're saying, I'll just repeat what I said the first time over and over and over" things like the City Hall guests do. It got to the point where I had to take a pen and paper out of my purse, write down the 2 words, and underline the "H"s and "K"s for her, while pulling on my sleeves and skirt pleats respectively in order to get her to realize that shirts and skirts, although they look similar in print, are different articles of clothing.

oi, indeed.
Wow, that is an "oi" moment.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:I've been blessed (for the most part) with my dealings with costuming in entertainment, although there have been a couple of issues.
One thing that helps there is that all they deal with are Entertainment CMs and their limited costumes, not thousands of different people with a multitude of different costumes and accessories.
At one time costuming saved my from the manager from Hades. I was the 5th person scheduled in for a role one day and we only have four pieces of a crucial costume part. Hmm, does this strike anybody else as problematic? I approached the manager, told them what happpened, and said that I had no problem switching roles or going home (that year they overshot their budget and were constantly trying to ER people, the role was not a popular one and nobody would notice if I wasn't there). I told him whatever they needed was fine by me. He said he wasn't the EMH manager and to talk to another person. I repeated it and she said, "on, you can just wear the piece that so and so wore earlier". This was an unwashed piece! At the time there was a bug going around, and I was not comfortable with it. Costuming heard about it, ran and got the costume, and threw it in the wash before she could go thorugh with it. She made them take another one out of the wash and dry it, even though it is supposed to be line dried-
Bug or not I'd refuse to wear a costume piece that someone had worn without it being washed. That's how those bugs get started.
and this is the manager who won't even let us sit down to put on shoes because we might ruin the costume!
And when you fall down trying to put on the shoes you will likely ruin the costume and also get injured.
God, that's dumb. If you're a foot to short to be friends with a kitty then there is no reason what-so-ever for you to have one on your record. That'd be like me (once I get into Entertainment) having a mouse on my record (I'm Goofy/Beast height).
GuestJockey wrote:I once spent about 20 minutes in costuming arguing with the girl over the letters "K" and "H".

oi, indeed.
She barely spoke English I assume? That's how it is here, half the Costuming CMs speak only basic English, if that, it seems. Very annoying when you need to try to find something. Makes me glad I rarely have to speak to anybody there except to say "hello" to the person at the "checkout".

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:21 pm

Ok, I'll play dumb. Kitty???? :confused: Is this one that bounces? :confused: Why is it bad? :confused: