stupid management tricks

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

stupid management tricks

Post by GuestJockey » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:43 am

OK, so this is more for me to vent than it is for others, but I figured what the heck.

I'm working on a new project for our department - writing a new tour (well, re-writing an old tour that wasn't very good, but whatever). This tour will have several technical effects and we were told to write it blue sky, assuming WDI and facilities and entertainment and attractions will say yes to all of our ideas, then we can adjust later. From the very start our managers said they were behind all of our ideas, but "be prepared for WDI and the others to hack it to shreds," basically setting us up to treat WDI as the bad guys who don't get what we're trying to do.

So we figured, why not make WDI understand? Instead of emailing them a script and getting it back redlined to bits, let's present the entire tour concept to them, then have them edit it. Our management team said "Go for it, but don't expect them to say yes - they won't have time for you." Well guess what? They DID! 3 people from very high up in WDI came down from Glendale and told us they were SO happy that someone finally asked to meet with them rather than just sending a script! So here we are, all excited that we're building great new partners for future tour writers, and WDI loves all our ideas! We leave the meeting overjoyed and proud of all our work.

We go to our managers to tell them the good news, that WDI wants to help us build the technical effects and loves our ideas. What does our management say? "Well, that's gonna cost money to build. This is just a seasonal tour, I can't justify spending money on it."

Turns out that our managers just hoped WDI would say no so they wouldn't have to do it and they could look like the good guys. They didn't think we'd be able to get a meeting (which we did) or that WDI would like our ideas (which they did) and so it would never come down to needing to actually give the tour the support it needs. In the end, they didn't even give us enough $ to buy the number of giveaway items we will need in the event that the tour sells out. They're BANKING ON the tour NOT selling out.

I am so utterly disillusioned and frustrated. I feel like they sent us like sheep to the slaughter; sending us naively into the WDI meeting thinking we had their support, then making us go back and explain to them 'Thanks for wanting to help, but it turns out that our budget is only 1/3 what we thought it was, so we can't use any of your suggestions or even any of our own original ideas. Thanks anyways, sorry we don't know what's going on with our own tour!'

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr doesn't even begin to cover it. :explode:

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: stupid management tricks

Post by Princess Susi » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:11 am

That sucks! :mad: A case of *you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't."
I am sorry that this is what it has come to. Middle managers trying to middle manage everything means NO one gets to have fun or to succeed at anything!

The MAD Princess :mad:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:40 am

Could you call the people you met with at WDI, and say that you thank them for their time and input, but the managers have over-ridden the green light that WDI gave them, and have nixed the tour, because they don't want to make the tour to Disney standards, but go cheep.

Then say nothing more.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 am

Look on the bright side. You've created a relationship with WDI that didn't exist and you've learned more about the "process."

In the sales world one of the key things to find out from a customer before spending cycles trying to sell them something is do they have budget approved. If they don't, leave your card and ask them to call when they do.

In your situation you were so focused on the rewrite you assumed the money was there. It's pretty crappy trick your management pulled but that kinda stuff goes on in every company.

Stay in touch with the WDI people. Tell them what happened but don't whine about it. Get a second meeting and pitch the idea of WDI funding the project. If they really like it it might happen.

If WDI really likes your ideas there might be a job opportunity with them. Creative people are hard to find. What does every actor want to do? Direct or produce. WDI is the place for both.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:51 pm

If you met with the WDI people I think you did (we had quite a few WDI higher ups in my area recently), I would just stay in touch with them.

Like hobie said, tell them what happened, and thank them for coming down to meet with you all.

I might even think trying to get WDI to fund the project, if it's possible. However, given the "rivalry" between WDI and Operations, you might end up stepping on a few toes, unfortunately.

Sad to hear, it would be great to have another tour at the DLR (WDW has tonnes, why can't we?) :( .

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:19 pm

glendalais wrote:...you might end up stepping on a few toes, unfortunately.
In many situations stepping on toes is demanded. I'm finishing up running an international yacht race from Vancouver to Maui. I got recruited but had no prior knowledge of the needs, requirements and pot holes. I also got fed a lot of bad, incorrect and self serving info from supposed experts. If I decide to run the next one there will be some serious house cleaning and reallocation of funds. If someone says, "That's the way we've always done it." then their wants are in serious jeopardy of being changed or eliminated.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:34 pm

hobie16 wrote:In many situations stepping on toes is demanded. I'm finishing up running an international yacht race from Vancouver to Maui. I got recruited but had no prior knowledge of the needs, requirements and pot holes. I also got fed a lot of bad, incorrect and self serving info from supposed experts. If I decide to run the next one there will be some serious house cleaning and reallocation of funds. If someone says, "That's the way we've always done it." then their wants are in serious jeopardy of being changed or eliminated.
I have always been maintained, and observe that when you hear that phrase, there is a LOT of room for either improvement, or completely eliminate a method/action and try your own!

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:46 am

Regarding the whole thing with your managers nixing the idea for money, definitely make sure the WDI people know what happened.

I have a fear that your managers, with that agreement we signed as we started at Disney, might have merely been using you for ideas so they can go to Imagineering when they do have the money. I'm curious to see if your tour magically appears a year from now.

I am curious about a few things... there are show-related things I've wanted to go to WDI about on the Safari, but my managers there always said it would be completely improper and I couldn't do it. I wonder if that's actually the case...

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:07 am

Go ahead and do it. You can always apologize later.

--- Matt King

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:55 am

hobie16 wrote:Go ahead and do it. You can always apologize later.
"Its easier to get forgivness than permission"

an axiom that I used a lot in my carreer.

(favorite saying to my supervisor: Hey, I went ahead and (insert action or program here) and YOUR boss liked it!!)

hehehehe