Wow..

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Wow..

Post by svickersart » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:30 am

Here's a theory for you. Guest drives to WDW and has car problems. gets towed to local garage. Repairs $1200.00. Guest was planning on that $1200.00 on the CC to pay for food and the such while on vacation but had to use it to pay for car repairs. Guest has friend or family member who is not card holder use his CC to pay. Claims CC stolen and he has called/gone online/ recieved an alert to find out CC was used at local shop. CM gets blamed.

I would think since this is in the news, even though the press likes to report anything negative about Disney asap even without all the details that there was some investigation. They are accusing a manager, not a housekeeper or maintanence worker who would be the most common person in your room while you were out. plus they traced where the card was used and the shop says this person used the card. I dont know about auto repair laws in Florida but here in California you have to write a repair order with estimate thats within 5% of the actual cost excluding sales tax. The work order has to have the vehicle info on it, make, model, year, and plate # plus signature to be legal or the vehicle owner could push it and not pay for repairs. This makes this sort of thing easily tracable as long as the shop is honest.

I'm back to hard times bring desperate measures. We have people commit insurance fraud all the time, Im having a go around with a large ins co because one of thier insureds did just that and they dont want to pay me for the service. I expect to see more and more of this with the economy the way it is, people cant even afford gas to go to work and once the credit cards are maxxed out and they have sold all thier extras they turn to theft to get by.

Steve

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 pm

svickersart wrote:Here's a theory for you. Guest drives to WDW and has car problems. gets towed to local garage. Repairs $1200.00. Guest was planning on that $1200.00 on the CC to pay for food and the such while on vacation but had to use it to pay for car repairs. Guest has friend or family member who is not card holder use his CC to pay. Claims CC stolen and he has called/gone online/ recieved an alert to find out CC was used at local shop. CM gets blamed.

I would think since this is in the news, even though the press likes to report anything negative about Disney asap even without all the details that there was some investigation. They are accusing a manager, not a housekeeper or maintanence worker who would be the most common person in your room while you were out. plus they traced where the card was used and the shop says this person used the card. I dont know about auto repair laws in Florida but here in California you have to write a repair order with estimate thats within 5% of the actual cost excluding sales tax. The work order has to have the vehicle info on it, make, model, year, and plate # plus signature to be legal or the vehicle owner could push it and not pay for repairs. This makes this sort of thing easily tracable as long as the shop is honest....
I'm not beyond believing in that level of fraud -- I've both seen and read about much worse examples in real life -- but it may not fit with the facts of this case. The original story doesn't say but strongly implies that the manager used the guest's card to pay for the manager's own auto repairs. The manager claims he had permission. For there to be fraud, it would have to be the guest somehow finding out that the manager needed $1200 in auto repairs, and saying, "Here, put it on my card,"... and then reporting the card stolen and denying he'd given permission. That just seems implausible, plus there's no potential gain for the guest in doing that. (Unless he had a personal vendetta against this one manager...?)

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:07 pm

There could have always been some other type of "relationship" between the guest and manager, ifyouknowwhatImean, that led to the guest paying for the managers repairs or OKing him to use the card then some sort of fallout. I dont know them so anything I come up with is speculation based on my observence of human nature. Things just seem a bit fishy to me, steal a CC to pay for repairs on your own car where things tend to be documented and can be easily traced. A large percentage of things people get into trouble for are a result of them putting themselves in a situation where they will find trouble.

Remember the two who were "kidnapped" a year or so ago from DTD? They ended up not pursuing the matter. If I were kidnapped, beaten and forced to withdraw money from my ATM I would want the guys caught. Most likely they were buying drugs and got robbed and made the story up.

The courts call it unclen hands. I hope they investigate this matter thuroughly and get to the bottom of it, but if the guest suddenly decieds to drop the matter then you know there was more to the story than what was let out.

Steve

Theme Park Where
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Theme Park Where » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:46 pm

I heard that the credit card was in a purse that was left in a room after check out. The purse went to lost & found, but the credit card was removed, either from the lost & found office or before the purse ever got there.

"The main reason for guests to be in a theme park is to give the employees someone to laugh at after work!"

[font=Comic Sans MS]Gifts for the Theme Park Employee or Enthusiast in your life at Theme Park - Where?[/font]