Wow..

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Wow..

Post by glendalais » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:51 am

This SCMT is just so out there I can't come up with a witty title.

Disney Hotel Manager Accused Of Stealing From Guest

What I'm trying to figure out here is how in the heck did the guy get the Guest's wallet. It might very be an SGT in itself if the Guest just left his wallet laying around on a table, as opposed to taking it with him or locking it up in the safe.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Wow..

Post by SRT_GB » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 am

The story doesn't say what job the manager had. If he had access to a universal room key (as a lot of the hotel managers do) he could have snuck into a room with theft on his mind. If that's the case, this couldn't have been a random act - the victim somehow got on the SCM's radar and was targeted.

Another possibility is the guest left the wallet on the pool deck and went for a swim, SCM saw it as a crime of opportunity.

In either case, you're right glendalais, why the heck did he leave his wallet laying around instead of taking it with him or putting it in the hotel safe?

And to add to the manager's stupidity, he used the card at an auto repair shop, where they could easily trace him since they have to take down his name, address, and vehicle information. There are thousands of other places he could have used the card and gotten away with it.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

Theme Park Where
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Theme Park Where » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 am

He was the housekeeping manager. Ironically, he was the SAME housekeeping manager who just made the news recently for digging through the trash to find the missing wedding rings. Everyone who works at WL is shocked. Apparently, this guy is a really wonderful manager, terrific with the guests, and a real go-getter willing to do anything to get the job done. No one can believe he actually would do something like this.

"The main reason for guests to be in a theme park is to give the employees someone to laugh at after work!"

[font=Comic Sans MS]Gifts for the Theme Park Employee or Enthusiast in your life at Theme Park - Where?[/font]

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:31 am

I really hate to hear things like this. I have stayed in places where I felt someone went through my luggage while I was gone but never a Disney owned resort, i have a much higher degree of trust when staying with Disney, but I still would not leave a wallet, CC or cash just laying around, its just to tempting. He might be a great Cm and manager but times are very tough and people are doing things they normally wouldnt do to try to get by. I have worked in automotive for more than 20 years and when you get a car repaired you dont get it back until the bill is paid. If you need that vehicle to get to work to make a living you have no choice but get it fixed and pay the bill. $1200.00 is a good chunk of money and if your maxed out already some people might take advantage of this type of situation to get by. its no excuse and I'm not trying to make any for him, I dont like thieves and to me once a thief always a thief, but it does sound like an act of desperation to me since everyone held him in such high regard. But, no matter what the situation was stealing didnt help him in any way, it only made things worse.

Steve

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:38 am

It is always the ones you think would never do something like that....Like that nice, quiet neighbor...I always lock money and expensive jewelry in a hotel safe.

I even put my prescription drugs in it, you never want to find a mousekeeper all laid out on your bed listening to Robin Trower's first album stoned on a Morphine and Percocet cocktail ;) ... :hysteria: ...Bridge of siiiiiiiiighs....

LOCK up everything of value in a hotel, and if they don't have in-room safes, use the one at the front desk. All hotels have a safe for guests to lock up valuables. Better to do that then to have a ruined vacation.

Also, I bring along locks for the suitcases that I leave in the room. Use them. Then no one can go through your suitcase either. Never too safe, I say.
The Princess

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:50 am

Very disappointing news.

They also have travel safes that you can loop a cable around the bar in the closet, and other devices if you don't have a locking suitcase.

The story is a little wierd, because I always know where my walletts and cards are when I travel. I even have a special card case that I carry seperate from the wallet, in case of loss.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 pm

I've seen these waterproof lanyard containers that you can put money, meds, whatever into, and wear around your neck even in the pool. But since they're cylindrical, no credit cards/ID. There's also money belts, bra purses, sock wallets, etc..

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:23 pm

felinefan wrote:I've seen these waterproof lanyard containers that you can put money, meds, whatever into, and wear around your neck even in the pool. But since they're cylindrical, no credit cards/ID. There's also money belts, bra purses, sock wallets, etc..
They have retangle shaped ones that you can put your cards and/or Identification in also. waterproof and otherwise.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:08 am

there has to be more to this story. He took a credit card and used it for auto repairs. It could be plausible that a thief would steal a card and use it for merchandise for resale but then again some thieve used my dad's shell card for gasoline, who knows.

Theme Park Where
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Theme Park Where » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:00 am

It's also possible I suppose that it's a set up or con against him. It has happened before that cast members or guests have conspired to get compensation from Disney by claiming that they were victims of a crime on property. He may be an innocent victim as well.

The fact that the garage guy claimed that he told them he had permission to use the card so they accepted it makes me wonder about the garage too. Most businesses won't (or shouldn't at least) accept a credit card if the person using it isn't the cardholder just based on a verbal "I have permission."

I have a feeling there's a lot more to this story than we've heard.

"The main reason for guests to be in a theme park is to give the employees someone to laugh at after work!"

[font=Comic Sans MS]Gifts for the Theme Park Employee or Enthusiast in your life at Theme Park - Where?[/font]