New SAP System in effect at Disneyland

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:46 am

The MousePad posting pretty much summed up what I understand to be the new system.

Unfortunately nobody told us anything ahead of time. Nobody bothered to tell us, the people that rent the wheelchairs that they supposedly need to have in order to get a pass. We had quite a few understandably upset guests because of the sudden change. One was so upset with the way City Hall treated her that we had to call Merch 1, who himself hadn't heard of the new system until we called some time at night.

Just thought I'd chip in what I've seen on my end. I'm a supporter of changing the SAP system, but I'd really like to know why they implemented the change the way they did without giving us or the guests any advance warning.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:16 pm

That's pretty interesting...you know, when you get one of those handicap placards from the DMV, they also issue you this paper that's rather like your registration paper, only it says that the person named is in need of handicapped parking. That person has to keep the paper on them while out in public and be able to produce it on demand. Maybe if Guest Relations just demanded something official like that, it would cut down even more on abuse, but what do I know??? Isn't it pretty obvious when someone is in a cast or on crutches?

Mansion_Boi
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Happy days are here again

Post by Mansion_Boi » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:06 am

It's a miracle the heavens are shining upon the Disneyland Resort, god has heard our prayers and answered them just in time for Christmas, (Sorry for all you guys who don't celebrate christmas), NO MORE S.A.P.'S
Yes that is right people were being turned away in the hundreds when approaching City Hall, I heard that they were even being theatened, so I am sorry to hear that but I am sure that Guest Relations Cast at City Hall were just having a blast because they could finally say "no. not today and not ever again, so go away", They should sell tickets to sit at the City Hall bench inside (Includes free popcorn and drink) just to watch people get turned away.

Finally can anyone in guest relations elaborate on what conditions a guest must meet in order to get one, and I heard that there was a paper given to you guys with answers to the common reasons why people request a S.A.P. and why you won't give it to them anymore, I think most of us will be very amused by hearing what you are supposed to say.

Post merged into existing thread by Polar33 12.21.03 0101

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:45 am

Yay no more abuse of the SAP system! ::dance::

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

coffeegirl9
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by coffeegirl9 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:11 pm

It's kind of funny...we have actually had people returning their annual passes over this new system. I guess some of the fat asses didn't want to go all the time if they actually had to stand in line like the rest of us. I took care of three returned passes one night, and only one family looked like they needed a SAP in any way, shape, or form. You know that management was expecting a bad reaction, because the policy on AP's is no refunds or returns, although we will do it with manager approval and a VERY good reason. But now, it's been getting calls from City Hall managers, and notes in the files saying please refund pass. Ha Ha! To me, if not getting a SAP means not coming to the park, then good riddance, you were probably a passhole anyways. I love it when people act as though we should beg them not to return their pass, and we just do it as quickly as possible. Then they act all disgruntled, as though we were supposed to cry over their departure. HA! Good luck to all the Guest Relations CM's on this site, I know you're getting a lot of crap thrown at you. :throw:

tourbunny
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tourbunny » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:46 am

okay, here is the official word on the sac'
i'm a bit late with that but i did not have internet for a while...
i want to first of all say that i am more then willing to answer any question you guys have. we are all still very confused and it's all new to us.
i also wanne clear up a rumor off off moseplanet or miceage. none of us has been physically harmed by a guest SO FAR! but it's only a matter of time i beleive.
the biggest rule is that there are no rules.
all is on an individual basis every guest has to be "evaluated" seperatly every time they come to that park and ask for one of them things.
even if they have gotten one on tuesday, using a wheelchair, they will not get one on friday, not using a wheelchair.
the people who have things going on like asma, diabeties, bad backs, arthritis, sprained anythings, visual impairment, hearing impairment, you know, what have you, is going to be send to the fast pass mashines.
that is nothing bad, we are not dicriminating we are not unfair, evil or anything. all we are is trying ourself out in something new and seeing how it goes. it still is an inbetween state so yes it is going to change again but only in a finetuning type way.
this is getting rid of every ap who felt entitled to have front of the line privileges just because they have that stupid pass. in a meeting it was mentioned that yes we are going to have to refund ap's because people are pouding about no more cutting in line but they sayed we are gladly getting rid of those ,they should not be here in the first place.
having been in city hall over this xmas season, lemme tell ya, there were hours where i wished we would have the old system back. it is hard to say no sometimes to people that no longer "qualify"
yes we have had the worst verbal obuse there could be, we have been threatened, called names, thrown a lot of people out of the park, because their behaviour was intollerable, we are exhausted, burnt out and ready to be sent to a nearby spa for a couple of weeks. but it's our job and as soon as you see the baffled look in a teens eyes that was just told "no more cheating" your life suddely makes sence again.
what we are doing is writing on the sac. "WC" or wheelchair, cane, crutches, "A" for autism (not every1 marks autism), walker.
at that point the attractions cm is entitled to require joe shmoe to actually be in the wheelchair or walk with his cane in order for you guys to honor that pass. if he brought his cane back to his car well then, stand by line for him. you guys are also entitled to confisgate anything you see homemade. desperete people have been printing out old SAP cards from the homecomputer thinking you guys don't look anyways. if it sayed "pass" insead of "card" on it ,take it away or have you lead do that. also when in dought look on the back for that black stripe on it, when missing, take it away, it's fake.
how do we prevent teens from renting wheelchairs and then returninn them after they got their sac? we stamp the rental agreement so that when they get to the stroller shop they also have to surrender their sac because they can tell by the stamp that they've gotten one.
i strongly encourage each and every one of you to show interest in the policy changes and enforce it as much as possible. if you have questions, now that xmas is over we even have a second to answer the phone in city hall. but we have more power then ever before now - all of us, use it!
we can help the people truely in need of special assistance have a more magical time at the resort.

i know you are an idiot but can you try not to be so stupid?

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:02 am

tourbunny wrote:how do we prevent teens from renting wheelchairs and then returninn them after they got their sac? we stamp the rental agreement so that when they get to the stroller shop they also have to surrender their sac because they can tell by the stamp that they've gotten one.
I was actually just about to post on this. Our manager gave us a big heads up yesterday because apparently some website said that people wanting to continue cheating the new system could rent a wheelchair, get the SAC, and then return the wheelchair, say they changed their minds, and get a full refund. The same manager said that they have already refused refunds for people who conveniently lost their SAC on the 10 mile mountainous hike from City Hall or the Lobby to the Stroller Shop.

btw i wonder if the people who designed this system changed the name on purpose so the acronym would be SAC.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:19 pm

coffeegirl9 wrote:To me, if not getting a SAP means not coming to the park, then good riddance, you were probably a passhole anyways.
WOOO HOOO! Less anal assholders! Though I feel bad for all the people at Guest Relations... Having to put up with angry anal assholders must be worse than just normal ones...Hope you guys get through alright!

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:05 pm

tourbunny wrote:having been in city hall over this xmas season, lemme tell ya, there were hours where i wished we would have the old system back.
I know how that feels. Years ago on Star Tours, we used to have an age limit instead of a height limit. I think it was 3 years and older that could ride; but people kept bringing their 1 and 2-year-olds with them, and there was little we could do about it. We'd stop them at the turnstile and say, "I'm sorry, this is a thrill ride and the child must be 3 years old to ride," and they'd just insist their kid was 3. Like at the Main Gate, there's no way to verify the kid's age, so we had to let 'em ride.

Inevitably, the parents would pull the kid from his/her seat during the ride (because the kid would get freaked out) and we'd have to stop the ride before the child was thrown from the parents arms.

Lots of downtimes and low capacity because of that.

So I was one of the people who begged management to switch us to a height restriction.

Sure it made "flight stops" a rare thing, and increased our capacity; but it sure was harder having to check all the kids' heights instead of just saying, "is your child over 3?"

For those who don't work a height check ride - it's a major pain in the ass. Parents are always pissed at you, the kid ends up crying, people think you're just being an anal SOB... That was one of the things I really hated working at Disney.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:17 pm

[quote="Dante101"]I know how that feels. Years ago on Star Tours, we used to have an age limit instead of a height limit. I think it was 3 years and older that could ride]

Did they ever change Matterhorn from age to height restriction? It used to be the same thing over there with the age limit being 3, only for some reason - maybe because people could see that it was a roller coaster - most didn't try to take younger kids on...although I do remember one lady in particular. She didn't speak English and was dressed in Islamic hijab carrying a baby in her arms. She had sat down in the sled and Desiree dG finally resorted to miming "broken neck" and pointing at the baby to make the point before the system shut itself down. This woman throws the baby at Desiree just in time to allow the sled to be dispatched and she had to stand there holding the baby while doing belts for the cycle until dopey came back - she timed it well enough to head down to unload and give this woman back her child, but sheesh - what was she thinking????????

I remember being told by someone at WDI that the 3 year thing was similar to the height thing in talking with pediatric orthopedists in determining what a child's skeleton could take in terms of centrifical and g-load forces...try explaining that to a snotty parent. "well ma'am, you may have paid all of $20 for admission, and you may have graduated from high school, but it's people with advanced degrees like engineering and medicine who are determining that you child can or can't ride - not you!"