Calling Cranbiz: Bad Bus Problem

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Calling Cranbiz: Bad Bus Problem

Post by Zazu » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:28 pm

February wrote:First, let me thank you- because I had no idea that the railroad was wheelchair accessible. We have avoided trying to take it for years thinking there was no way. So I'm excited about going there on our next trip :)
Happy to be of service, ma'am.
But then, I just have to ask, have you ever personally spent an extended period of time unable to ambulate on your own?
Worst spell I've had was eight weeks in a wheelchair with a busted ankle. Easier to endure as I knew I was healing. I did, however, go to the MK for a day without a pusher just to get a better idea of what it was like.

It was, like, harsh, dude!

That park is full of hills I had never noticed before! OTOH, there's also a lot of detail installed for the benefit of kids and others with eyes at that level that I'd never noticed before.
It's a rhetorical question....
Yeah, I sorta figured.
I don't mean to seem rude at all, please understand that- but trying to minimize how being disabled really is unless you have experienced it yourself ... is a hot button issue for me.
No rudeness detected yet.

Now let me apologize if it seemed I was trying to minimize the challenge -- I recognize it's substantial, even though I don't have your level of familiarity with it.

But just as we shouldn't unreasonably minimize the challenges, neither should we unreasonably amplify them, and from the first paragraph of your response, it looks like I did what I'd set out to do -- advertise one small thing that's not as bad as expected.

It wasn't much, but I figured it might help.
You just truly have to experience it to understand it. Otherwise, please don't say that you know what it means to be disabled.
Nope, I didn't say that and I didn't mean that.
I'd still rather be disabled and at WDW than disabled and anywhere else on the planet.
Amen.

Zazu

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:41 am

Yo Zazu sorry I forgot to post but you GOOFED as I was talking about Disneyland aka DLR and not WDW. I will be looking for that post, hrmph, keep misplacing things.

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:47 am

But just as we shouldn't unreasonably minimize the challenges, neither should we unreasonably amplify them, and from the first paragraph of your response, it looks like I did what I'd set out to do -- advertise one small thing that's not as bad as expected.

It wasn't much, but I figured it might help.
It does help, and if you were meaning to make it sound like the challenge that was not so bad was using the trains at WDW, then that's one thing. It seemed however from the way the post was originally worded, to me anyway, that you meant being disabled isn't so bad.

It's not the end of the world but it's no picnic.

I have not unreasonably amplified anything in my own posts. Perhaps you didn't mean it to seem so but your original post came off a bit condescending and that was what got my ire up.

My body doesn't work- but in most cases my brain, and the brains of a lot of people who are physically disabled- work just fine when it comes to knowing what a real challenge is and what isn't. Likely this is just a case of my misreading words on a screen which did not mean what they seemed to mean.

Thanks for your response.

~Bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane