That one coworker you can't stand

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: That one coworker you can't stand

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:26 pm

The lazy MOD did it again. Last Saturday I was scheduled to do Server Support (gets drinks, salads, bread, bus tables, etc.) Now that the university is out of session it's been really slow, so we haven't really needed the support people. The week before when this happened, the MOD (a different one) called me in advance to let me know that I wasn't needed. Not so last week. Even though he knew in plenty of time he did not bother to call me. I came in, clocked in, and immediately started working. I began doing things like refilling the paper towels, refilling the dressings so they would have enough, etc. He was back there and saw me working and did not say a thing.

Nine minutes into my shift all hte servers were standing at the bar chatting (while I was actually, I don't know, working) and he sent one of them back to tell me to go home. This really punched my buttons because:
a.) He should have called me before I came in
b.) Barring that he should have talked to me before I clocked in
c.) Barring that he should have told me when he saw me starting to work
d.) While they all stand around and talk I was actually being productive.
e.) It was his responsibility to tell me, not tell another server to do it.

It was embarassing for me and I was not a happy camper that I went in to work when I wasn't needed. At least this is a small town so my work is less than 5 minutes away by car.

Petite and Proud!

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:34 pm

EeyoresButterfly wrote:
It was embarassing for me and I was not a happy camper that I went in to work when I wasn't needed. At least this is a small town so my work is less than 5 minutes away by car.
How irritating!!

I'm pretty sure they're obligated to pay you for 4 hours of work because they didn't tell you in advance that you weren't needed.

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:10 am

Ugh, I have this guy who's been working at my store for a fantastic 4 years. (I seriously would not parade that around, but whatever....)

Whenever my manager is there, he does the LEAST AMOUNT POSSIBLE. If we have an up against of $1500, he'll do like $375-$500 (eve if we're over $900 short) and say "Well my work is done!" and go slack off in the back room. During his 8+ hour shift. It's all about working a pre-determined time and selling a pre-determined amount of money, and that's it.

Just because he is allowed to do the deposit (whoo hoo!, I've sat on a $6,000+ DRAWER and in my 3+ years of using a cash register, I have NEVER been over or short.), and has "seniority" over me, he believes that his ability to "get the ladies" (I have a fiancee, he doesn't, we have caught him TEXTING HIMSELF to make it look like he was with a woman last night), means that he can do and say whatever he wants while the manager is away.

I've had the tables turned on him a few times. My manager left for a week on vacation, and I was in charge, it really burned him up. My manager actually went "Since you're in charge, you can just sit in the back room all day!" Again, really burned him.

Anyways, my manager hates him, but since we are hurting for people, he stays. But I'm apparently standing on promotion to Assistant Manager/Full Time soon, and I've been there over a year.

So basically, he's the biggest walking contradiction ever. He'll shark your sales if you don't watch out, but if you get slick and do the same, he whines for EVER. Seriously, if you hurt his feelings at ALL, he whines and cries.

Actually, everyone but him hates him. But he's so stupid! I wish he would go away!

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:43 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Had he been a girl I would have hugged him (and those of you who have met me know how scary that sounds).
I can now attest to how scary that would be. Especially if you are just getting off of a shift.

Kurt

NessaMcTastic
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by NessaMcTastic » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:37 pm

This has been building up so here goes:

I work at a very small (5 staff including me, the president/ceo and the chairman) non profit. We do some work with the US Army and last month we had a dinner for retiring General Officers (1 to 3 star generals showed up) in DC that I went with the coworker that heads this program. I was to keep in touch with the assitants of the GO's for their RSVPs, meal preferences, and travel as well as that for our speakers and us.

I'm booking the hotel for a retired BG, and one of our speaker and I ask, "Hey coworker. Where do you want me to book our hotel rooms?" Coworker says "We're not staying in a hotel room. The company can't afford it. Do you have a friend you can stay with?" WTF.

She leaves for vacation and I take this moment to ask our boss the pres/ceo if I can book a hotel room for myself. "Didn't you already do that?" "No. So and So wanted me to stay with a friend but I don't feel OK doing that." "Not a problem!" he says and forks over his credit card.

She comes back, finds this out and cancels my hotel room. I find this out the day before we leave. :banghead: "Fine. I'll stay with a friend," I grit. I feel really guilty for not sticking up for myself but this is my first job ever (I'm 23) and I've only been here since October so I wasn't sure how to handle it with out exploding.

Thankfully, the dinner goes very well and I end up making some really solid contacts. (My dream is to join the Air Force and as officer so I did this as a resume boost). I did have a friend who let me crash at her place and we had a nice time catching up.

That night I decided that I probably won't last the full summer. That was strike one here, they've already committed strike 2. I really don't want to wait for strike 3.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:53 pm

NessaMcTastic wrote:
She leaves for vacation and I take this moment to ask our boss the pres/ceo if I can book a hotel room for myself. "Didn't you already do that?" "No. So and So wanted me to stay with a friend but I don't feel OK doing that." "Not a problem!" he says and forks over his credit card.

She comes back, finds this out and cancels my hotel room. I find this out the day before we leave. :banghead: "Fine. I'll stay with a friend," I grit. I feel really guilty for not sticking up for myself but this is my first job ever (I'm 23) and I've only been here since October so I wasn't sure how to handle it with out exploding.
Pres/CEO decisions > any other decisions ;)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:21 pm

NessaMcTastic wrote:That was strike one here, they've already committed strike 2. I really don't want to wait for strike 3.
I've used the three strikes very successfully for years. It's gotten me out of bad job situations a number of times.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Theme Park Where
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Theme Park Where » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:19 am

You might casually and innocently mention to the CEO that you did end up staying with a friend since your hotel room was cancelled too. If coworker is trumping CEO on this decision, what other decisions is he/she overwriting? Your CEO may need to know in the future why a contract he/she approved wasn't followed through on or whatever, and documenting this coworker's prior history may be what is needed to keep you or another employee out of trouble.

"The main reason for guests to be in a theme park is to give the employees someone to laugh at after work!"

[font=Comic Sans MS]Gifts for the Theme Park Employee or Enthusiast in your life at Theme Park - Where?[/font]

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:50 pm

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Could it be a deleted scene from The Office?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.