That one coworker you can't stand

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: That one coworker you can't stand

Post by hobie16 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Sarah Magdalene wrote:She wants to be an actress in TV, stage, and movies
She'll be a great actress. She's already got the 'tude.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon May 26, 2008 11:09 pm

hobie16 wrote:She'll be a great actress. She's already got the 'tude.
Yep, and probably the drug habit :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:10 am

ktulu wrote:Yep, and probably the drug habit :)
Cha!!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue May 27, 2008 4:06 pm

Okay, so yesterday, I get on break, Doctor McKey is there and he's in the middle of listening to the guy who really takes the cake. I wish hearing him tell a story could be considered probable cause with which to fire his butt and have an armed guard keep him off property.

There's the guy talking about how recently he had bought a new car, had had a taxi driver that pulled up behind him and was inches off his back bumper. He talked about how he got out of his car, went screaming at the taxi driver, and when the cabbie flipped him off, he opened the door and hit the guy.

Now, I get the feeling the story must be BS because otherwise he should be in jail. However, just by the fact he thinks it's cool to tell that story from the first person perspective tells me a lot about him, and I know never to cross him because he might kill me. He should have a warning so guests know not to cross him as well.

Didn't help that his next topic of conversation was how he gets pulled over all the time and searched because he has stickers in his back window for Warlocks... how it's probable cause because he's supporting a criminal organization.

Next? He solidly informed everyone around that he carries brass knuckles everywhere.

If the stories he tells are true, then I should probably be scared of him. Either way, I really don't want to see what happens when he goes postal.

At the point he started talking about the brass knuckles, I suddenly needed a 103. From there, I stayed inside, as he was outside, until I was called for a truck. Not out of fear, but annoyance at anyone like this being allowed to work in a guest area.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Tue May 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Sarah: PASS? I don't remember that.

Petite and Proud!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:11 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Okay, so yesterday, I get on break, Doctor McKey is there and he's in the middle of listening to the guy who really takes the cake.
In Texas, I believe that's called all hat and no cattle.

--- Matt King

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue May 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Sounds like a poser with a microscopic self-esteem level and an ego the size of Cincinatti. Shooting his mouth off because he needs to make himself look important. I'd still keep an eye on him, though.

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Hmmmm.... Where to start...

Our current problem is a guy who slacks off as much as possible. I swear that he actually puts more thought and effort into how NOT to do work than he actually does work. (He's even been spotted out in the warehouse staying in one place for 10-15 minutes at a time, when most tasks have you in each place for 1-2 minutes tops) He does juuuust enough to not get fired for not doing his work while others are running circles around him trying to pick up his slack. When he does something wrong, he refuses to learn how to do it the proper way. He makes rookie mistakes, when he's been in the office for over 6 years. His outlook is "Well, the next person in the process will catch any mistakes I make, so why should I bother making sure it's done the right way?" Don't even get me started on his paperwork... (And you would think that after 6+ years he'd be able to memorize his 8-digit employee ID number you use every week to fill out your timesheet, rather than having to pull out his wallet...)
He used to take so many extra breaks each day that he'd only be putting in a 6-hour workday. From a lunch that lasted an hour and fifteen or twenty minutes, to the 15-20 minute break in the morning, and then again in the afternoon, oh, and the extra 5-10 minutes it takes to get ready to walk out the door at precisely the moment his shift ends... In actuality we get a total of ONE hour of break time, spread out however we want to use it... One hour all at once, 15:30:15, etc. (as long as it fits into the workflow of the office. You don't take a break at the busiest time of the day) They finally put a stop to that bit of worker fraud...

At my company we have a VERY generous benefits package (though not necessarily generous pay). We accrue sick time at the rate of 1 day a month, and the max accrual is some insane amount. I like to think that I have a very strong work-ethic. I'm not sick that often (when I *do* call out sick my co-workers think I must be at death's door), which is why I have more than 11 weeks of sick time built up. I schedule my time off, and for emergency situations or last-minute time off my manager is very easy-going about us using our vacation/personal time to cover, even if it's very short-notice.
The previously-mentioned worker conveniently gets sick about once a month... (And it's almost always on a beautiful sunny day... Whoda thunk it?). And yet he can still take his entire annual vacation allotment all at once to visit family in Central America... Hmmmm.... (Funny thing is, our office runs at its most efficient during those weeks he's out. Odd....)

But MUCH WORSE than him.....
There's this other guy we had working in my office for a number of years (THANKFULLY he's gone, which I'll explain below) who slacked off, never helped anyone else out when they needed a hand, leered at the female teenage summer workers, and made it WELL known just what his personal feelings were about religion, politics, gays and the role that women should play in the workplace (i.e. none at all, their place was at home). He was unable to think logically for himself, so if there was a "traffic jam" in the warehouse and he couldn't get to where he needed to go, he was unable to figure out how to skip that location, go to the next one on his list and circle back later. He'd stand around until the location on his worklist was free (and this was sometimes 20+ minutes of standing around waiting). Management was loathe to do anything. He *finally* got fired for putting a note that essentially was a death-threat in a co-worker's mailbox... :eek:
I won't go into too much detail about that one, but suffice it to say that management and HR worked all that weekend so that first thing Monday morning he was no longer employed by our company, and was told to turn around and leave before he even got 40 steps from his car when he showed up (late, I might add)...

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed May 28, 2008 8:53 am

Rob562 wrote:...leered at the female teenage summer workers, and made it WELL known just what his personal feelings were about... the role that women should play in the workplace (i.e. none at all, their place was at home).
Ya gotta love someone that contradicts himself in his actions... I wonder how he would actually have liked not working with women, since he so loved looking at them...

Don't get me wrong, I love the female form, but there's a time and place. And if he's doing that at girls still in high school... :ewww: :gross:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:10 am

A friend owned his yacht service company for many years. He had one employee that knew his way around a diesel engine but was a continual management challenge because of his work ethic and poor attitude. My friend struggled for a long time on whether to keep him and ultimately did because of his knowledge.

After twenty-five years of being a small business owner he decided to retire. He called in each employee to give them six months notice and to help them get established with another company. When he called Mr. Work Ethic in, his only reaction was, "F*** you." He still asks why he kept him around for so long.

--- Matt King