That one coworker you can't stand

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

That one coworker you can't stand

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun May 25, 2008 6:22 am

There's someone like that for all of us, someone whom we wish would just move on and no longer work in a guest-facing role or any role where they have to work with other people. For me, it's this one person and I just can't stand being around him, and I certainly don't relish the idea of ever having to work in the same area of the attraction, because I am sure I will wind up with a reprimand by the end of that two hours, because he'll be searching with a fine-toothed comb for anything he can tattle on me for doing. I also don't expect him to be any help because it's me he is working with, and I am not come cute lady into whose pants he wants to get, or a coordinator or manager for him to suck up to. If I follow him on the ride path, he looks back with this utter contempt for me as a person, and I've done nothing to him, but the guy is just a prick. Then, I find out he's working for a coordinator position, and can't help but think how much higher turnover is going to be in that area because people have to answer to this jerk and he makes it obvious that they aren't good enough for him. I can't wait until that new hire is walking around an area, says hello to him and he just looks back with his look of contempt and the new hire just wants to leave, get out of his presence.

I realized this thought process yesterday when I went for an assignment, didn't get a truck and got a land where you have to work as a team or it all goes to hell in a handbasket, quickly. When I saw him going for the same area, I was dreading the next couple hours. Then, he left, someone else came and told me they had switched and this new person would be working with me in this new position. Had he been a girl I would have hugged him (and those of you who have met me know how scary that sounds).

So this whole thing got me thinking... here I am, I give everyone a fair shake, I choose not to like you only after having seen you in action and if I feel you warrant it. For me to feel this strongly about someone, they really have to be someone who doesn't belong at Disney.

I want to hear your story about that one person who really doesn't belong at Disney, or wherever you happen to work. Without naming anyone, what do they do to make themselves as worthless to you as they possibly can? Why don't they belong in an area where it's important to care about your guest?

Discuss.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

I LUV Chip
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: That one coworker you can't stand

Post by I LUV Chip » Sun May 25, 2008 6:38 am

Dang BW, sounds like a great guy. :rolleyes:

I have one, I work at the local radio stations (there are 3 of them) and I have a co-worker (I'll call him bubba) who is just getting to be too much. I think you could technically say he's one of my "bosses." Bubba's the station manager of one of the three stations I work for. But if you ask him any station related question he doesn't know and sends me to my actual "boss" for the answer. If something has broke down, don't even try to call him. He won't answer his phone. If the commercials Bubba's sold don't work or aren't in the system, his answer is: "Oh well. I'll worry about it later." (ie: when he's supposed to be here not when he's needed) He also works in sales and I don't think he's sold anything in months.

This past week he's been on vacation (wedding). I was talking to my actual boss Wednesday and the office/business manager walked up and asked us if she could get Bubba an extra special wedding present. Boss asked what it was and her answer? A shotgun to the head. The boss laughed and asked if he could watch, and if he could then yes. That would be the perfect gift to give the blankity blank blank.

Bubba is completely worthless and no one is quite sure why we still have him around. He only promised the General Manager $400 worth of sales in April, as of April 29, he had nothing. Everyone else (in sales) promises in the thousands. The guy is a male donkey.

:)
Jenn

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Sun May 25, 2008 7:02 am

At the restaurant where I am working there is this one MOD (manager on duty) who should not even be a server, much less a MOD. The guys is a lazy bum and very rude. The MODs are all servers or bartenders who are in charge when the owners are out. You can tell when he is just a server because his cutwork (chores) doesn't get done and you have to make up for it. You can tell when he is a MOD because no cutowrk gets done or is half-assed. It is the MOD's responsibility to make sure the cutwork gets done.

He is also just plain rude. Friday night we were very slow. My cutwork included cleaning the fridge we keep the salad dressings in. At the beginning of the night I noticed that the top shelf was so disorganized you couldn't find anything and there were things in there that needed to be tossed. I pulled everything out and put it back in in some semblance of order (tossing the stuff that needed to be) which took all of five minutes. He came back and was making stupid sarcasting comments about how Friday night is not a good time to do that (hello? Have you seen the restaurant?). He made me mad, I think I may have mouthed "bite me" to his back at one point, lol. It just pissed me off because he and the others were standing at the bar talking (he wasn't even the MOD Friday) and I was actually trying to be productive.

My first entertainment CP there was one girl who needed to go away. She is one of the reasons entertainers don't like CPs (her and people like her). She worked the points system, calling in as many times as possible without getting a reprimand. She broke all the rules (taking hats off heads, throwing autograph books), was rude, and even stole from the company in costume! She would lie down on the floor in costume backstage (huge no no) and would not help others with their costumes. Off stage time is company time, not break time, we are required to help eachother. She would not let us help her and would make the attendant do it. This is not the attendant's job. We are required to be ready as soon as the attendant comes backstage to get us. She would also go around saying that Disney should train all CPs in at least one parade and Fant so we can put it on our resumes. And people wonder why all the FTers hate us being trained?! I caught some serious flack for being trained for and performing in DCT/DDCT (got to close out DCT and open DDCT) since I was a CP. Most of the people who knew me were cool, but those who didn't were pissed! It was all over property and getting reported back to me. It's people like her that cuase these problems. Thank God she left when her CP was over. How she managed not to get fired is beyond me.

Petite and Proud!

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Sun May 25, 2008 7:48 am

Mine is a lady supervisor who is wholly self-serving -- will flatter you to your face and then go behind your back and say awful things about you. She's borderline incompetent, but nothing is ever her fault, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and she believes in management by motivational poster. <shudder>

Fortunately, she's not my supervisor, we don't have to cross paths every day, and my boss knows how she is and doesn't believe much that she says.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:40 am

I LUV Chip wrote:He only promised the General Manager $400 worth of sales in April, as of April 29, he had nothing. Everyone else (in sales) promises in the thousands.
If sales is his primary job then the sales manager should put him on a program to focus on improving results. If no improvement he'll be gone. Unless he has Polaroids of course.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sun May 25, 2008 9:51 am

Hehe, nurses are the worst! :rolleyes:
My special person is fine as a nurse, but causes drama where there should be none. I despise that because it distracts from what we SHOULD be doing....working as a team for the best possible outcome for the patient. Unfortunately, nobody ever confronts her on it, because she has been there the longest, and in the words of my supervisor, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks!" Yes, my supervisor knows all about it. :mad:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 am

Big Wallaby wrote:There's someone like that for all of us, someone whom we wish would just move on and no longer work in a guest-facing role or any role where they have to work with other people. For me, it's this one person and I just can't stand being around him, and I certainly don't relish the idea of ever having to work in the same area of the attraction, because I am sure I will wind up with a reprimand by the end of that two hours, because he'll be searching with a fine-toothed comb for anything he can tattle on me for doing. I also don't expect him to be any help because it's me he is working with, and I am not come cute lady into whose pants he wants to get, or a coordinator or manager for him to suck up to. If I follow him on the ride path, he looks back with this utter contempt for me as a person, and I've done nothing to him, but the guy is just a prick. Then, I find out he's working for a coordinator position, and can't help but think how much higher turnover is going to be in that area because people have to answer to this jerk and he makes it obvious that they aren't good enough for him. I can't wait until that new hire is walking around an area, says hello to him and he just looks back with his look of contempt and the new hire just wants to leave, get out of his presence.

I realized this thought process yesterday when I went for an assignment, didn't get a truck and got a land where you have to work as a team or it all goes to hell in a handbasket, quickly. When I saw him going for the same area, I was dreading the next couple hours. Then, he left, someone else came and told me they had switched and this new person would be working with me in this new position. Had he been a girl I would have hugged him (and those of you who have met me know how scary that sounds).
This basically describes my "special" person, but just make him a her and replace the Attraction references with QSR references.

What just gets me about this is that these people think they are completely perfect (and, by extension that the rest of us are flawed), when in reality, they're dragging down the performance of the whole group.

I LUV Chip
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by I LUV Chip » Sun May 25, 2008 10:38 am

hobie16 wrote:If sales is his primary job then the sales manager should put him on a program to focus on improving results. If no improvement he'll be gone. Unless he has Polaroids of course.
LOL I think he has Polaroids. And I think Corporate in Omaha loves him. Somehow. That and well, our Sales manager only does what he absolutely must to be "manager." Don't get me wrong I love working here, but this place is very relaxed in the management department.

If they didn't bend over backwards with my stay-at-home mom schedule I don't think I would still be here. Everyone is every much about doing only what must be done and at the very last second that it should be done. :rolleyes:

:)
Jenn

ectomstr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ectomstr » Sun May 25, 2008 10:47 am

Lately for me it has been a majority of people.It started out as with just the Haitian women i work with (still have one as my main) and then the Haitian men. No offense to anyone who may be of that decent, but the ones i have worked with only ONE seems to want to do the work. the others just work as slow as possible and then just shrug when their inactions cause us to not leave on time or things get half finished and we get disciplined for.

But lately, I've been having problems with the new night time coordinator. I saw it as soon as my chef's declared him as such. Almost as if he became a bit more pompous. Then I got a new prosthetic. So new I've never HAD one like I do now. In fact, I literally need to learn to walk all over again. So when I've had problems (which has been many) he treats it as if I'm slacking off on purpose, like when I take 10-20 minutes to try and relax and get the new leg back on. Yet when the pregnant girl takes an extra hour to eat he turns a blind eye. It's been real problematic the past few months due to my co-workers and now my managers/chefs where i feel i can't even goto them for help in this time of big need.

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Sun May 25, 2008 11:01 am

ectomstr wrote:Lately for me it has been a majority of people.It started out as with just the Haitian women i work with (still have one as my main) and then the Haitian men. No offense to anyone who may be of that decent, but the ones i have worked with only ONE seems to want to do the work. the others just work as slow as possible and then just shrug when their inactions cause us to not leave on time or things get half finished and we get disciplined for.
We have the same problems with certain CMs (no Haitians, but...) out here at DLR Foods.

The best you can do is to try to pick up where they slack off, and try to talk to your Leads (do you have any other closing Leads other than the pompous one?). Here, we try to pair those CMs with other CMs who will be able to effectively direct them, in order that they don't hamper things too much.