CMs who never think about SHOW

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: CMs who never think about SHOW

Post by Zazu » Tue May 20, 2008 9:19 pm

vixen101485 wrote:I keep telling him all he needs is a kilt to complete the look. You know how the Scottish guys have those cute little purse things they wear in that spot..what are they called?
Most folks call them a "sporran", but the truly brave (or stupid) will call it a "purse"!

Zazu

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue May 20, 2008 9:26 pm

I love my waistpurse--I don't have to worry about it getting stolen or left behind, and purse-snatchers hate them. I use a regular shoulder purse only when going to job interviews when I'm dressed up. And I hate it. Okay, granted the waistpurse would look better if I wasn't a fat walrus, but since everytime I lose weight it keeps finding me :D: if I look bad with it, so what.

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:38 am

vixen101485 wrote:ROTFLMAO...Till I read the bottom part, I was like DUDE! Please tell me you dont dress like that on vacation.
People got a big kick out my mine(well the ones who figured out what I was anyway..lol)
Dont you love easy costumes. It's the details that make them neat, camera, shades, wet socks. LOL
Yeah, got those cheap clip-on flip-up shades... :) I didn't want to hang a real camera around my neck (my digital was kept in my pocket), so I made one with shoelaces and a disposable camera from the discount store.

-Rob

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:21 pm

SRT_GB wrote:Yikes! So what do you do when they go down? Manual receipts and credit card forms?

Only time I can remember our old IBM registers going down (which I think ran on DOS) was when we had a power outage at DLH that exceeded the 30-minute limit of the UPS.
The main part of system doesn't usually go down long enough for us to bust that stuff out, and if it did, it would probably be disastrous. Most Cast Members I've encountered don't seem like they'd be able to handle manually calculating sales tax, and manual credit card transactions. I suspect that with a hypothetical downtime scenario, most Cast Members will not realize that the no-signature-under-$50 policy goes completely out the window. As it is, I can probably count on my hands (or possibly one hand) how many Cast Members know how to correctly process a credit card that doesn't have a working mag stripe. (Manually enter card number, take imprint of card, ask for signature, even if the transaction is for a 50¢ postcard)

The part of the system that seems to have issues most frequently is the close-out system. From what I can tell, few Cast Members remain at this point that know how to manually create a closing deposit. :rolleyes:

The registers did go completely down during one of the Grad Nites I worked. I used a calculator, a pen, and a pad of paper, while the Cast Member next to me had a tax table. I calculated the taxes by multiplying the subtotal by 1.0775 rather than using the tax table. In the end, we entered the manual transactions in the registers; MATRA disagreed with me by a penny, while the other Cast Member was off by like 20¢. :D:

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:39 am

Alyssa3467 wrote:The registers did go completely down during one of the Grad Nites I worked. I used a calculator, a pen, and a pad of paper, while the Cast Member next to me had a tax table. I calculated the taxes by multiplying the subtotal by 1.0775 rather than using the tax table. In the end, we entered the manual transactions in the registers; MATRA disagreed with me by a penny, while the other Cast Member was off by like 20¢. :D:
You guys should look into getting calculators that include a tax function. I randomly bought a cheapo pocket calculator at Target or Walmart, and you can program in a tax rate. Then, you just press the "+tax" button and it adds in the tax automatically. (It also has a "-tax", too)

-Rob

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Rob562 wrote:You guys should look into getting calculators that include a tax function. I randomly bought a cheapo pocket calculator at Target or Walmart, and you can program in a tax rate. Then, you just press the "+tax" button and it adds in the tax automatically. (It also has a "-tax", too)

-Rob
Problem there is that somebody might manage to accidentally change the tax rate programmed into the calculator, and it's not always obvious how to reprogram it with the correct rate. Also, each calculator would have to be programmed individually, and we have almost as many calculators as we do registers.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:Problem there is that somebody might manage to accidentally change the tax rate programmed into the calculator, and it's not always obvious how to reprogram it with the correct rate. Also, each calculator would have to be programmed individually, and we have almost as many calculators as we do registers.
Other problem is it would require some hot shot middle manager who thinks his/her sheezy doesn't stink to find it in the Office Depot or Grainger catalog, agree it's a good idea, put together a PowerPoint presentation to convince their bosses in upper-middle management that the calculators are a good idea for streamlining operations and reducing the resort's carbon footprint, then for those bosses to authorize procurement of 1,000 of said calculators for resortwide deployment.

Oh wait, that's what middle managers at DLR already do...

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

HarryFromMarydelDE
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by HarryFromMarydelDE » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:54 am

Alyssa3467 wrote:The main part of system doesn't usually go down long enough for us to bust that stuff out, and if it did, it would probably be disastrous. Most Cast Members I've encountered don't seem like they'd be able to handle manually calculating sales tax, and manual credit card transactions. I suspect that with a hypothetical downtime scenario, most Cast Members will not realize that the no-signature-under-$50 policy goes completely out the window. As it is, I can probably count on my hands (or possibly one hand) how many Cast Members know how to correctly process a credit card that doesn't have a working mag stripe. (Manually enter card number, take imprint of card, ask for signature, even if the transaction is for a 50¢ postcard)

The part of the system that seems to have issues most frequently is the close-out system. From what I can tell, few Cast Members remain at this point that know how to manually create a closing deposit. :rolleyes:

The registers did go completely down during one of the Grad Nites I worked. I used a calculator, a pen, and a pad of paper, while the Cast Member next to me had a tax table. I calculated the taxes by multiplying the subtotal by 1.0775 rather than using the tax table. In the end, we entered the manual transactions in the registers; MATRA disagreed with me by a penny, while the other Cast Member was off by like 20¢. :D:
I am wondering how would someone go about taking an imprint of the card with just a ball point pen and thermal paper? We don't have manual imprinters, pencils, carbon paper, crayons or any of the other tricks I have used at other places that I have worked. I just watched someone take the online MATRA course a few weeks ago and I can guarantee it says nothing about what we are supposed to if the system goes down, or even deals with the possibility that it might go down. Ditto Merchantainment. If MATRA went down we wouldn't even be able to open our drawers since even the managers don't have access to register keys without going to another department.

-Harry

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. -Jack Handy

Double T
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Double T » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:48 am

HarryFromMarydelDE wrote:I am wondering how would someone go about taking an imprint of the card with just a ball point pen and thermal paper?
-Harry
Oh, it's easy. You ever run your fingernail across a piece of thermal paper and have a line appear?

Same concept.

Place card on table, place thermal paper over the card, and use the ball point pen like a piece of chalk when you're making a rubbing off of a headstone.

Presto! Just like the old imprinting machines that used the carbon forms.

T

"You know Explorers...I have people ask me all the time how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years, and I tell them to just take a look..."
"They're covered with mussels."

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:20 am

Alyssa3467 wrote:Most Cast Members I've encountered don't seem like they'd be able to handle manually calculating sales tax, and manual credit card transactions.
Alyssa, you are talking abt me! :D: I can read between your lines. ;) At least I know guests must sign CC receipt when under $50.00 if we go down. The Grad Night you speak of at Emporium was funny. Old school paper forms were brought out to close & it was deer in the headlights time. A new C M went pale on me so I told her to get a drink & fold @ D Land. :rolleyes: You know closing is NOT my fav but will if have to. Imprint of CC can be made with Alyssa's always trusty box cutter. Such a cool trick. :cool: Thank you!!

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]