CMs who never think about SHOW

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Mad Maxx
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: CMs who never think about SHOW

Post by Mad Maxx » Tue May 13, 2008 12:41 am

ktulu wrote:Oh, the other reason for windows, most people are familiar with that OS, which is why many companies go with it on the front end.
Oh? I though it was for Minesweeper and Solitaire....

And Disney uses nothing but Windows as all the software you get for POS and such is literally ALL windows based. Heck, the ticketing POS is a HUGE package that runs on Windows only. But I wouldn't mind it all being Mac...

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 am

Mad Maxx wrote:Oh? I though it was for Minesweeper and Solitaire....

And Disney uses nothing but Windows as all the software you get for POS and such is literally ALL windows based. Heck, the ticketing POS is a HUGE package that runs on Windows only. But I wouldn't mind it all being Mac...
If the DB uses a browser as the front end then it'll be platform agnostic.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue May 13, 2008 9:02 pm

hobie16 wrote:If the DB uses a browser as the front end then it'll be platform agnostic.
I agree with you in theory...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:03 pm

Mad Maxx wrote:Oh? I though it was for Minesweeper and Solitaire....

I had figured the POS software was written by Disney. It would make sense for it to be. Do you use MATRA over there or something else?

I'm surprised the POS software isn't written by Disney, hell AutoZone has it's own POS software and it runs on *nix. Just the merchandise part of Disney is much larger than AutoZone so it isn't because the numbers don't make it worth it.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Tue May 13, 2008 10:11 pm

Most of Disney's stuff is off the shelf and then highly customized. Just check on Careerbuilder.com to see what WDW is looking for in programming this week.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Wed May 14, 2008 12:48 am

Shorty82 wrote:I had figured the POS software was written by Disney. It would make sense for it to be. Do you use MATRA over there or something else?

I'm surprised the POS software isn't written by Disney, hell AutoZone has it's own POS software and it runs on *nix. Just the merchandise part of Disney is much larger than AutoZone so it isn't because the numbers don't make it worth it.
We use MATRA over here, as well. For Foods at least, there are a few differences (we don't have 500 types of discount buttons, for example), but the underlying concepts and procedures are the same.

Mad Maxx
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Mad Maxx » Thu May 15, 2008 2:22 am

As for the ticketing POS (well, the Ticketing SYSTEM. Its the POS, the Turnstile software, the leads control software, ect) are a package called Galaxy. It does EVERYTHING for ticketing. And then the printers are all thermal BOCA Systems printers (same things that print the FastPasses) except for the Annual Pass printers (EVOLIS brand Dye Sublimation things that looks like little alien pods). It is really a crazy system. The only thing that the software doesn't do is all the various cash reporting that we have to do at cashout. We use some of the in-house made stuff for that.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu May 15, 2008 4:18 am

Shorty82 wrote:Do you use MATRA over there or something else?
Stores have been blessed with MATRA for exactly 2 yrs. Much easier to count out @ closing, but when WDW MATRA goes white we're down too. Maybe not always, yet ratio is high. :rolleyes:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Thu May 15, 2008 8:41 am

Main Streeter wrote:Stores have been blessed with MATRA for exactly 2 yrs. Much easier to count out @ closing, but when WDW MATRA goes white we're down too. Maybe not always, yet ratio is high. :rolleyes:
Yikes! So what do you do when they go down? Manual receipts and credit card forms?

Only time I can remember our old IBM registers going down (which I think ran on DOS) was when we had a power outage at DLH that exceeded the 30-minute limit of the UPS.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by JugglingFreak » Thu May 15, 2008 2:02 pm

Mad Maxx wrote:As for the ticketing POS (well, the Ticketing SYSTEM. Its the POS, the Turnstile software, the leads control software, ect) are a package called Galaxy. It does EVERYTHING for ticketing. And then the printers are all thermal BOCA Systems printers

Cool, I work on BOCAs here at my place of business (We also run two theaters which use those for ticketing..) They are pretty darn durable machines as far as I've seen. However, we don't have quite the volume of printers the WDW has.. :D: