Started a New Job

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Started a New Job

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Thu May 08, 2008 2:15 am

I started a new job today as a server at a local Pub/Bistro/Italian restaurant, and I already witnessed a couple of SETs:

1.) One of the four servers never even called in or showed up for his shift, I think he is going to be termed.

2.) Apparently there are several people who are sticklers for the rules to the extent that they actually spy on the other employees. I am all for following the rules, but there is no reason to report every asinine thing. It's funny because the owners are very laid back.

I know there were more, but I'm exhausted and can't think of them off the top of my head.

Petite and Proud!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Started a New Job

Post by hobie16 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:1.) One of the four servers never even called in or showed up for his shift, I think he is going to be termed.
In Hawaii, we call them surfers.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Thu May 08, 2008 12:41 pm

LOL Hobie. The sad thing is there is nothing cool like that here for somebody to miss work for. The town has 17,000 (which includes the university students). We don't even have a mall for crying out loud! It's not like there's some amazingly fun thing he could be doing. I just don't understand why people don't even bother to call to let people know they won't be there, it really puts everybody in a bind.

Petite and Proud!

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu May 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Sounds like the are going to be an ex-employee soon!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:22 pm

How is the job going (besides the SEs)?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Thu May 08, 2008 10:32 pm

Pretty well so far, this is only my second day. Since it is a local restaurant, we run out of stuff all the time, and this is graduation weekend for the university, so we've been really busy. It's kind of like trial by fire.

Petite and Proud!

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Wed May 21, 2008 2:45 am

Got some new ones for you:

The other day I went in and none of the cutwork (chores) from the first shift had been done. It is the MOD's (shift manager) duty to make sure cutwork is done so everybody blamed the MOD. This MOD is known for being lazy and not doing any of his cutwork. When I came in, I had to do part of the cutwork that didn't get done just so we could get through the night. At least it was slow.

I also had a somewhat SGT: A table with a $25.00 tab tipped me a whole whopping dollar! In our training materials it says that tips are not mandatory, but at the same time, restaurants in Missouri pay servers $2.50 an hour, the tips make up the rest. This is an increase from when I was a waitress a few years ago and one of the reasons I tip big. I've worked with many single mothers or students trying to pay rent and tuition on the salary they get from waiting tables. You're completely at the whim of the customer. In all fairness, I was not attentive to that table as I would have liked to been, but I also had three other tables, one of which was trying to pay out and wanted me to split their bill indvidually. At our restaurant the servers are also the cashiers and it took me some time to run the cards and make the change. I did refill the table's drinks at least four or five times, pre-bus dishes, etc.

You can always tell the customers who have never worked in the food industry, and those who have based on the way they treat the servers and how well they tip.

Another good SGT: The day I was doing the lunch shift's cutwork, one of the things I was doing was refilling the ketchup. The container dripped on my shirt as I was lifting it out of the fridge. I cleaned it up, but there was a bit of a wet spot on my chest. I was already a bit embarassed by it. I went up to my first table and the man said, "What's that on your tit?" I wanted to die. I just ignored it and took their drink order. He persisted, asking me if it was grease, so I played it off and said, "No, I Just got attacked by the ketchup". They ended up being a nice table, but I didn't want to go back after that comment. I was talking with some of the other servers about it and one girl said she actually had an older man grab her and kiss her!

I did have one really neat thing happen: One of the owners came up to me and told me that he and the other owner were talking and they really like my work ethic and how I am always finding something to do and trying to help out. It was a great compliment, and it all comes down to the Disney training!

Petite and Proud!

I LUV Chip
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by I LUV Chip » Wed May 21, 2008 6:28 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:Got some new ones for you:

Another good SGT: The day I was doing the lunch shift's cutwork, one of the things I was doing was refilling the ketchup. The container dripped on my shirt as I was lifting it out of the fridge. I cleaned it up, but there was a bit of a wet spot on my chest. I was already a bit embarassed by it. I went up to my first table and the man said, "What's that on your tit?" I wanted to die. I just ignored it and took their drink order. He persisted, asking me if it was grease, so I played it off and said, "No, I Just got attacked by the ketchup". They ended up being a nice table, but I didn't want to go back after that comment. I was talking with some of the other servers about it and one girl said she actually had an older man grab her and kiss her!

I did have one really neat thing happen: One of the owners came up to me and told me that he and the other owner were talking and they really like my work ethic and how I am always finding something to do and trying to help out. It was a great compliment, and it all comes down to the Disney training!
OMG! I would have had a hard time going back to that table again too. Some people are just clueless and rude. :eek:

Congrats on the compliment! That's always a good feeling!

:)
Jenn

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Wed May 21, 2008 8:46 am

EB, if you haven't heard of it before, check out WaiterRant.com. The guy who runs it is an incredible writer, often funny, sometimes touching, all centered around his adventures as a server.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Wed May 21, 2008 11:59 am

I'll definitely have to do that. I'm trying to remember if any of our members are waitstaff at Disney, it would be fun to compare notes.

Petite and Proud!