Now, that's Disney service..

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Going the Extra Mile...

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:19 am

This just came up on my news feed and it didn't look like anyone had posted about it yet.

Disney works its magic in case of missing rings
Workers dig through trash to find valuable jewelry thrown away by accident

According to the article, this is not the first time this has happened.

You CMs are incredible people.

8^)

ETA: Juggling Freak posted on this exact same subject, one minute after me by timestamps... and probably in the more correct forum.

Once again I've started a thread that should prolly be deleted.

Go to JugglingFreak's Thread to reply I think... *Nids.* And if a Mod could ditch my thread at their earliest convenience.

Sorry.

*Is so much trouble.*

8^P

JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Now, that's Disney service..

Post by JugglingFreak » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:20 am

This is too cool for words.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... 3970.story

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
April 22, 2008

It had been a wonderful vacation at Walt Disney World -- until Paul Campanale accidentally threw away his wife's three platinum and diamond rings.

An icy-cold trip home to Worcester, Mass., awaited the unfortunate husband as he, his wife and two young children left the giant resort Friday.

"We weren't speaking," Karen Campanale said Monday. "At least, I wasn't speaking to him."

But into every nine-year marriage, a little magic must fall: Beating what the Campanales had been told were the all-but-impossible odds of finding the three rings required one lucky break and eight Disney workers in protective gear pawing through a trash pile bag by bag.

"We were on our way to the airport when my husband had gotten the phone call saying they were recovered," Karen Campanale said.

The night before the family's departure from Disney, Karen Campanale, 35, a teacher, had taken off her engagement, wedding and five-year-anniversary rings, as was her habit. She put them in a little container and then placed that, for safekeeping, in a cardboard bowl on a shelf in their villa at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

As they packed and tidied the villa, Paul Campanale, 37, a chemist, didn't notice the container had rings in it, so he tossed the bowl and its contents.

Housekeeping collected the trash and it was sent, the Campanales were later told, to the resort's industrial-sized trash compactor.

"The man said: 'If it's already in there, I don't know what else I can do for you. Sorry,' " Karen Campanale recalled.

So the Campanales chucked their hope, checked their bags, gathered their children -- Jack, 6, and Emma, 3 -- and awaited their Magical Express bus to start the long trip home.

But it turned out the trash from their villa hadn't reached the compactor yet. Instead, it had taken another route and had been dumped in a standard parking-lot trash bin.

When Wilderness Lodge executive housekeeper Drew Weaver realized that, he organized a search party -- himself and seven other volunteers among the employees. They donned gloves and other protective clothing, emptied the bin onto the asphalt and began to search, one bag at a time, for the three rings.

The Campanales had no idea this was happening. Shortly after their bus left Wilderness Lodge for the airport -- maybe three hours after they first reported the loss -- Paul Campanale's cell phone rang, bringing news he could hardly believe: rings found. Weaver drove them over to the bus' next stop, Disney's Polynesian Resort.

"A lot of people around the hotel heard about what happened, and they were congratulating us and saying, 'Wow, you guys are heroes.' We're not heroes. That's what we do," Weaver said. "That's not the first time we've gone through trash -- oh, no. We don't always find things. Many times we come up empty. But we didn't this time."

The three rings, Karen Campanale said, are fine.

"I was shocked," she said. "That's five-star service."

Theme Park Where
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Now, that's Disney service..

Post by Theme Park Where » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:02 am

I saw that this morning. What a terrific story! I'll have to ask my Dad if he knew anything about it. He works concierge over there.

"The main reason for guests to be in a theme park is to give the employees someone to laugh at after work!"

[font=Comic Sans MS]Gifts for the Theme Park Employee or Enthusiast in your life at Theme Park - Where?[/font]

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:40 am

Disney cast members ROCK!! They really ARE heros. That's what keeps us coming back. :D:

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:39 am

Feh, but look where they were staying. If I was paying $200 or $300 bucks a night, you'd be damn sure someone would be digging for that.

Nothing against hotel people or CMs, I'm one of 'em and used to be the other, but I SERIOUSLY doubt a CM at Paradise Pier would go dumpster diving. We all know what's in Orange County trash. Ewwwww.

Besides, the thing I don't get is why would you leave your expensive jewelry laying in an unmarked box in an unfamiliar place? Or not tell your husband that you had done so? It boggles the brain.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Going the Extra Mile...

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:30 pm

OR you could turn this thread into one of the CM's posting other stories of CM's going the extra mile, or for that matter, anyone going the extra mile in their jobs!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?