aww, ever had a kid create the magic for YOU?

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

aww, ever had a kid create the magic for YOU?

Post by SpaceRanger » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:04 am

I know we are always the ones who are supposed to be creating the magic for kids, but have you ever had it the other way around before? Where they create the magic for you?

I guess I've had it happen a couple times before, but tonight really stood out. Earlier in the night, I had a guest get all upset at me and she made a HUGE scene, because she asked me what flavor of icecream I liked best. I told her, she decided to get that one... I even offered to let her sample them, but she was like no, if you like it that's good enough... turns out she didn't like it. And she got all upset at me, I'm like well you asked what I liked, you never asked me to read your mind and predict what you'd like :roll:

She had me really annoyed even after she left, but then a couple hours later, a really nice family came in and ordered from me... it was a lot, and so I was talking to them while everything was being made, asked about their day and talked to their kids and all, and this sweet little boy who hasn't said hardly anything just looks up to me and holds out his autograph book wanting me to sign it... I almost thought he was joking at first, but when it became obvious he wasn't, I of course signed it. He was such a sweet boy, really well mannered and everything, said please when he asked me to sign and said thank you when I was done with it. I went and got him extra cherries for his ice cream, he deserved it. I only wish adults could be that nice.

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:10 am

I had a little girl in a show white costume do exactly the same thing to me when I was distributing Jr. Explorer maps (remember those? ;) ) over at DCA. I guess she thought the ranger costume was a character or something. I signed, of course, although I think I made up a name like "Ranger somethingorother" for her benefit :)

(I didn't actually write 'somethingorother,' I just can't remember what I did put. Probably my first name.)

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:13 am

There was one time I remember that sticks out. I was in Toontown (a place I absolutely hate working), working at the Chip & Dale Acron crawl. Busy day, and I was shouting at some rowdy kids who were throwing the acorns at each other really hard.

I was kinda pissed 'cause I didn't like yelling all the time, and I kinda glared at all the kids as they left. There was this one little girl who was amongst the last to leave. Her mom was next to me, kind of encouraging her to exit, and the little girl runs right over to me and gives me a giant hug, telling her mom, "Mommy, I like this man!"

That was nice. All the parents around the entrance let out a collective "awwwwww...."

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:05 am

Yeah, that was the first in-costume magic experience I had, too. Standing on the platform on Main Street Station, a little kid with big Ward Kimball glasses peered up at me through the fence and slowly held up his autograph book and pen. Never said a word.

The word I almost said was "<deleted>!!!" because I realized I didn't have an "autograph" ready. I invented one there on the spot, and have been using it to sign "Conductor Zazu" ever since.

Dunno what it was, he emerged from the crowd, never said a word, then disappered again; but it was a very cool moment indeed.

Zazu

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:25 pm

When I was a greenhorn merchandise hostess, I got to work guide one (next to the Tour Guide gardens on Main Street). Afternoons and evenings there are pretty busy - unless there's a parade or fireworks, all you see are the items in the guests hands and the money they're shoving at you as they stock up on last minute gifts before leaving. The mornings however, are nice because you can observe a lot. What always got to me was seeing how real the characters are for little kids. You'd see someone in costume near the train station, and pretty soon, there's a mob of children who believe. It's all real to them and the smiles are so big they could light up the town.

Over in Fantasyland, I was leaving Storybook for my lunch break one day, and some little girl confused me for Snow White...don't know why...I was in the area costume, but she ran up to me, threw her arms around my legs and wouldn't let go. For me, the job was about the little kids. Much as I hated being stuck on Book, I would try and find one kid on my boat who was small enough that they'd never heard any of the spiel before, and do the whole spiel for them. Disneyland is for kids - forget the jerk a.p.'s, forget the bored teens, just do your job for the sake of the little kids, and it's great.

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:22 pm

^ That's why and how I lasted 4 years in Fort Fun. (The larger of PGA 2 kiddie areas when I was there.) I had the most fun playing with the little ones.

pammymo
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

My favorite memory as a cast member @ DL

Post by pammymo » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:46 pm

I was working in Tinkerbell Toy Shoppe and I was folding t-shirts in the back section of the store. This little girl came up to me and was asking me all types of questions; why are you wearing that dress (the old alpine dress with green vest), why are you folding t-shirts. I was nice at first....I'm helping out like how your parents help out at their jobs. And to help in this store I have wear this dress. I'm folding shirts to help out. But the questions just kept coming and I was thinking to myself "kid, your bugging me...enough with the questions". But I answered her questions nicely. Well her mother came to get her and she turned to me and said, "Good-bye Snow White...it was nice talking to you". She thought I was Snow White!! That explained all the questions...and totally made my day. That one moment...just reminded me that the magic of Disney is a two way thing. Not only do we give it..but receive it too!!

Pamela Ortiz
Castmember from 1985-1990 (Main Entrance and Fantasyland Merchandise)
Castmember from 1997-present (ABC Television)

pigletsbuddy03
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by pigletsbuddy03 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:56 pm

So the other day I was at work thinking my day could not get any worse. Guests and cast members alike were driving me insane. So I am standing there telling people to get out of the ride and putting on that fake disney smile and this little boy gets out of one of the cars. Cute little boy maybe three or four with glasses. He looks up at me and tells me thank you. I gave him a smile and said something to the effect of your welcome and continued speiling to the other guests. Next thing I know this little boy has wrapped himself around my legs and is hugging me and telling me thank you again. Well to say the least I was sitting there almost in tears because this little boy has just reminded me why I work there. I thought this was fitting topic for my first post because its not always that we get such wonderful guests.

Right I get it....you really are that stupid

Weeble
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Weeble » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:16 pm

Best JC trip ever? Boat full of terminally ill kids at D-land for their dream trip. They were giggling and laughing and enjoying it with a gleam in their eyes. Kids are what has kept Disney going for SURE.

Comedian and Writer
http://www.alfredmuller.com

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:35 am

Weeble wrote:Best JC trip ever? Boat full of terminally ill kids at D-land for their dream trip. They were giggling and laughing and enjoying it with a gleam in their eyes. Kids are what has kept Disney going for SURE.
Exactly... no matter how bad my day is, before the end of the day I always try to find one little kid to talk to, and they always seem to make me forget all the bad stuff that happened before it. Like one time, I was pulled to work parades before the end of my shift... it had been a pretty lousy day, til I met one little boy who didn't speak any english. But his parents had bought him a lot of toys and souvenirs and he wanted to show them all off to me, so I ended up spending at least a good 15 minutes sitting on the ground with this little boy playing with all his toys. Then a parade lead walks by, and I jump up and start to say something to her, and she just laughed and told me to get back down there and keep playing with him lol... but then, I always have loved working parades. I love getting to go and talk to all the little kids and getting to make up interesting stories as to why they can't sit on the wall or why they have to sit behind a certain point. :)

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.