Dumbest CM Injuries

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Dumbest CM Injuries

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:32 am

disneyprincess1988 wrote:Oooh, I've got a dumb CM injury myself:

I was working America Gardens Theater a lot during Sounds Like Summer last year. One day, I was with a CM who was brand new to the area so I was showing him around. Well, being the big genius that I am, thought I had enough room to step over the rope and ended up flat on my face on stage in front of guests. :o:
Oweeee!!

Be secure in the knowledge that many families have pictures of you in the trip albums, with a caption of something like: "acrobat showing off while we waited in line"

hehehe

Hope you didn't get hurt too bad!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:27 pm

disneyprincess1988 wrote:Oooh, I've got a dumb CM injury myself:

I was working America Gardens Theater a lot during Sounds Like Summer last year. One day, I was with a CM who was brand new to the area so I was showing him around. Well, being the big genius that I am, thought I had enough room to step over the rope and ended up flat on my face on stage in front of guests. :o:
Heh, that sounds like what I did back in 2006. I was working the castle show, and it was raining. It was my turn to go on break. So I went to step over the rope...and promptly tripped. I ended up skinning my knee. That was the day after I got stung on my neck (also working the castle show). I still have the bump on my neck too.
EeyoresButterfly wrote:My stupid injury: I was walking back from the Kiosks at Camp Minnie Mickey and as Donal was walking to set. Now, there is only room for one person at a time on the path, especially when said person is a plump ducky. I stepped off the path since Donald has a long and tiring hike, and in the process tripped over and broke one of the lights. The lights are about as high as the middle of my shin and when one has no peripheral vision... Needless to say whoever thought that one out did not think hard enough! I just sucked it up and bevelled the rest of the day to keep my weight off the leg, it hurt so bad I could barely walk on it!
Ouch!!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

HarryFromMarydelDE
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by HarryFromMarydelDE » Wed May 07, 2008 8:43 am

Randy B wrote:I have a feeling that I would quickly invest in steel toe shoes (I wonder if they make them in dress shoes in addition to boots) and some athletic shin guards.
They do make steel toed dress shoes, any industrial or culinary shoe supplier will carry them.

I have two stupid accidents; on 8 April 1990 I was working in the Dairy Queen in Camden, Delaware and was cleaning one of the ice cream machines out at the end of the night. I had just gotten out of the Navy (in Orlando, coincidentally) that morning, and therefore had not cleaned an ice cream machine for quite a while. I had totally forgotten that the mixer bar on our ice cream machines was attached by two bolts. I removed what I dimly and incorrectly remembered as the single bolt, and then went to the front of the machine to pull out the bar. It wouldn't budge, so I got this contraption that is basically a big moving weight on a steel bar that you use to remove the mixing bar when it's stubborn. I kept slamming the weight onto the backstop and was getting very frustrated that nothing was happening. Finally, I used all of my might and really, really slammed the weight. Only, I slammed it so hard that I didn't have time to get my finger out of the way, and squished it pretty good. There's still a scar on that finger.

In 1998 I was working as a metal caster in a dental lab in Newark, Delaware. We had a slate board that we would leave the metal rings that hold the molds on while they cooled down after casting. I casted several rings in the morning, then went and did something else for a few hours, then casted several more rings and then went to break. I was the only caster at the time and had a system for placing the rings so that I would always know which rings where hot and which were cold. While I was on break, my boss came in and cast a ring and put it with my cold rings. When I came back from break, I just grabbed the first ring from the cold ring section of the slate, only it wasn't a cold ring, it was the one my boss had recently cast. Fortunately, it was cold enough that I only got a first degree burn, but it was still quite painful.

My last job before Disney was as security at the Valero refinery in Delaware City, Delaware. I think most people would think that an oil refinery is a more dangerous place to work than Main Street East Merchandise, but the refinery would get up over a hundred days without an injury and there were departments with over a thousand. Our record in Main Street East is 35, and we spend a lot of time in the single digits. My only explanation is that things at the refinery where obviously dangerous (pretty much everybody there knew someone who had died on the job), while people in Merchandise don't really think of their workplace as having a lot of potential injuries. I know the Magic Kingdom doesn't catch fire as often as the refinery did, and it's a lot less likely to blow up if it does. There's nothing like a good fire at the hydrocracker or someone being dissolved by sulfuric acid to remind you you need to be careful! Although to be fair, the guy that was dissolved wasn't doing anything wrong, that was someone else's screw up.

-Harry

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. -Jack Handy

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 pm

On my first day of Training at USH's Shrek 4D, one of the trainee's got her foot rolled over by a ECV.
Then, about a year later, a new hire was greating guests as she stood on a curb, she tripped and sprained her ankle.

I have fallen down the stairs and esclators many times, and I wasn't running.
I have also been near hypothermia and heat exhaustion, thanks to leads who rather sit in the office and play solitare than rotate an employee for a few minutes.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:22 pm

I did have one ECV related injury that put me on modified duty for a week. A man ran over my achilles endon in his ECV. I wasn't mad at him though, he was very apologetic.

Philhar had just gone down, but nobody bothered to tell the greeters and the line was getting long. I was trying to wrap the guests around the entrance. Well, of course the man trying to get past the bottleneck in his ECV can't see little 4'10" me. I took a step back and the rest is history. He felt really bad about it.

The worst one I know is a girl who ended up on crutches for two weeks. Some yahoo allowed a person in an ECV onto Pooh. ECVs are not allowed in line because of the size of the station. While trying to turn the corner, he ran over her foot, bruising every bone and ligament.

Petite and Proud!

security officer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by security officer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 pm

i know im late on this but i hold the record for the dumbest injury at dl.
i sliced my hand open with a box cutter while cutting the end of a zip tie

If you run, you'll only go to jail tired.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm

security officer wrote:i hold the record for the dumbest injury at dl.
i sliced my hand open with a box cutter while cutting the end of a zip tie
Not! This is done in Stock all the time.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:05 pm

I think the dumbest CM injury I know of was probably the only person I flunked out of Conductor training on the WDW Railroad.

She had had four days of training with someone else, and I was to give her a half-day review before turning her loose on unsuspecting guests. Yeah, we really did used to have that much time for training!

We made one circuit of the railroad. Three times she did something the wrong way. Three times I corrected her, showing her the right way to do it. Three times she responded, "Whatever!"

Instead of continuing her checkout, I told her to take a break and wait in the breakroom for a manager. I went to the manager and told him, "She's a danger to herself, to her fellow cast members, and to our guests. I will not work on the railroad any day that she is here."

They put her to work anyway, with no additional training.

Day one, part way around her first trip, she did exactly the wrong thing that I saw on checkout, only this time she injured herself and spent six weeks on paid leave.

Then they fired her.

I just can't figure out who was dumber: this CM or the manager who approved her.

Still haven't figured out how to spend the free "Told Ya So" that manager gave me during my next shift.

Zazu

WWWD
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by WWWD » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:14 pm

When I grow up, I REALLY want to be a conductor on a Disney railway. I would do that until the day I die and then move into the Haunted Mansion, Chateau or whatever.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 am

Hey Harry, Has the Valero refinery blown recently? I used to live out in Bear just on the edge of that 8-10 mile "OH SHIT" range. Splendid although it does fit into my "How to power the NE Corridor cheaply" plan, Let's just move everyone out of Delaware and drop a match! There are enough damn chemicals and fun stuff in the ground in the state it would probably burn for 100 years. Between Valero, Air Liquide and the nice EPA Superfund sites (Agent Orange anyone?) I'm surprised they didn't get more mutant animals then Lake Nockamixion and Three Mile Island put together!

Ahhh stupid injuries. Most of mine involve "the ground tried to bite me" aka I tripped over my own dumb feet and fell down.
Although one time I was over at Whale and Dolphin (Orlando) to help them in closing them down for the night, now their stairs are steep and made of pure evil. So we walk over to find a bunch of clucking hens and their spawn had taken down the ropes and just walked right in, spawn yelling and running up and down the the stairs. In a nutshell I went to round-up said spawn and friend went to boot the now angry ladies out. I ended up getting pushed by a kid as he ran down the stairs and cracked the back of my head on that nice concrete. I didn't know before this that if you get knocked stupid at Seaworld little penguins waddle around your head like in the cartoons.
Ended up with a concussion and three days paid leave. Nice vacation but so not worth the bloody headache from hell! I've been in car accidents that didn't hurt that much!