Dumbest CM Injuries

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
iframedroger r
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: Dumbest CM Injuries

Post by iframedroger r » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:09 am

Randy B wrote:Isn't it interresting that all popcorn popping machine manufacturers seem to insist on putting the lever for dumping the fresh popped corn in a location that makes it almost a sure thing that you WILL get some of the hot kernels and hot oil dripping onto your arm.

I did several years in a movie theatre just out of high school and one of my duties was to pop all the popcorn each week (I would pop 100 to 150 lbs of corn each week and store the popped corn for use the whole week).

Randy
You mean it isn't popped fresh? :eek:

But yeah, the ones we have at california adventure work well, but there is a certian cart over at Disneyland that gets me every time, when i went to dump it, it came off the hinges, pouring a bit of hot oil on me before actually scalding me, i thought i was fine, but after about 2 hours, it still burned like a you know what, i eventually flagged down a manager and went to first aid.

All in all, though, i am pretty lucky, i had heard horror stories from seasoned vendors that make mine seem like cake walks. I am sure Polar has a few to share.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:56 am

iframedroger r wrote:You mean it isn't popped fresh? :eek:

But yeah, the ones we have at california adventure work well, but there is a certian cart over at Disneyland that gets me every time, when i went to dump it, it came off the hinges, pouring a bit of hot oil on me before actually scalding me, i thought i was fine, but after about 2 hours, it still burned like a you know what, i eventually flagged down a manager and went to first aid.

All in all, though, i am pretty lucky, i had heard horror stories from seasoned vendors that make mine seem like cake walks. I am sure Polar has a few to share.
Ouch, I would think they could give you some of those silicone gloves that they are make for baking and oven mitts, so when you have to "dump" it you would have a little protection!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Wow. What theater did you work for? When I did my stint at AMC, we had to throw away the popcorn we didn't use and make fresh stuff EVERY day. Ew, I don't even want to know what could have walked through that.

BTW, falling into the Jungle Cruise water is my CM injury. Ugh.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:39 pm

LittleDollClaudia wrote:Wow. What theater did you work for? When I did my stint at AMC, we had to throw away the popcorn we didn't use and make fresh stuff EVERY day. Ew, I don't even want to know what could have walked through that.

That couldn't have been too fun! Do you have to do a decomanation procedure?? Or just dry off!!

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:55 pm

LittleDollClaudia wrote:Wow. What theater did you work for? When I did my stint at AMC, we had to throw away the popcorn we didn't use and make fresh stuff EVERY day. Ew, I don't even want to know what could have walked through that.

It was an independant. And the stuff we used worked fine. As long as the bag (large lawn and garden plastic bag) was sealed while the corn was still warm it remained very good for up to a week and a half. But we generally cleared out the old and restocked at least once a week (big movies with lots of sales could be twice). And yes I performed quality control on every batch (I caught and consumed a hand full of each and every batch as it came out of the popper). :D:

At least the JC water has a chance to aerate a bit and so may not be too bad. The slime ridden water in Pirates and Small W would scare me much more.

Randy

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:02 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Ouch, I would think they could give you some of those silicone gloves that they are make for baking and oven mitts, so when you have to "dump" it you would have a little protection!
The ove gloves only protect to the wrist. Most of my popcorn injuries tended to be between the wrist and the elbow. The knob that I would grab with the fingers was always nice and insulated, but to get to it I had to put my arm through the space where the hot steam and occasional oil drips happen. One other problem, I was working in that theatre back in the mid 70s and that was WAY before ove gloves existed.

BTW I have a pair of those gloves and love em. Makes using the toaster oven even easier.

Randy

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:07 am

Randy B wrote:The ove gloves only protect to the wrist. Most of my popcorn injuries tended to be between the wrist and the elbow. The knob that I would grab with the fingers was always nice and insulated, but to get to it I had to put my arm through the space where the hot steam and occasional oil drips happen. One other problem, I was working in that theatre back in the mid 70s and that was WAY before ove gloves existed.

BTW I have a pair of those gloves and love em. Makes using the toaster oven even easier.

Randy
I also worked in a movie theatre, I was in High school and was a projectionest, dated the candy counter girl (got FREE frehh popcorn!!) And saw every movie that came out! (sometimes to excess!!) "Herbie the love bug" twice a day for two weeks, plus saturday and sunday afternoon matinee!! (Buddy Hackett: Coney Ireland!!) Arhhhhhhhh!!!

Sioban
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Sioban » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Randy B wrote: At least the JC water has a chance to aerate a bit and so may not be too bad. The slime ridden water in Pirates and Small W would scare me much more.

Randy
I still get grossed out when I see kids dip their lollipops in the SW water and then lick them. EEEEEEwww! Tetanus anyone?

My stupid accident was when I 1st started working and was assigned to Skyway (a BAD idea since I am a HUGE klutz). It was my 2nd day of training (1st hands on day) and within 15 minutes I was in 1st aid with a crushed finger. I still have no idea how I didn't scream a swear word in front of all the guests when it happened! The managers looked at me and said "maybe you shouldn't work skyway" The response in my head was "Y' think?"

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:26 pm

My stupid injury: I was walking back from the Kiosks at Camp Minnie Mickey and as Donal was walking to set. Now, there is only room for one person at a time on the path, especially when said person is a plump ducky. I stepped off the path since Donald has a long and tiring hike, and in the process tripped over and broke one of the lights. The lights are about as high as the middle of my shin and when one has no peripheral vision... Needless to say whoever thought that one out did not think hard enough! I just sucked it up and bevelled the rest of the day to keep my weight off the leg, it hurt so bad I could barely walk on it!

Petite and Proud!

disneyprincess1988
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by disneyprincess1988 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:43 pm

Oooh, I've got a dumb CM injury myself:

I was working America Gardens Theater a lot during Sounds Like Summer last year. One day, I was with a CM who was brand new to the area so I was showing him around. Well, being the big genius that I am, thought I had enough room to step over the rope and ended up flat on my face on stage in front of guests. :o:

For Narnia! And for Aslan!

:jasmine: :minnie: :bouncemic :skellingt :gonzo: :pepe:

All of my favorite Disney characters up above there. :p: