Giant Photos

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Giant Photos

Post by Zazu » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:23 pm

Hiyas,

Lately there have been a lot of posts that included large images. While I like being able to see The Big Picture (as it were), there's a problem caused when they're too big.

If a photo is too big to fit on the screen -- the reader's tiny screen, not your huge mediamonster display -- it causes the whole thread to display wider than the screen. To read posts, folks have to scroll left and right, which is a major PITA.

As a result, I've been converting a lot of these photos into web links. Workable, but a lot less convenient, especially for folks who don't have multi-tab browsers.

There are two solutions to this:

1. Post smaller photos. Try shrinking thenm to VGA resolution: 640x480 pixels. Photos this size will fit on almost everybody's screens. Actually, only the width is a problem, they can be as tall as you please.

2. Post a link to large photos. You can do this even if you post a small picture, in case someone wants to see more detail.

The third solution -- banning photos -- isn't one we want to consider because that also outlaws smilies. And we wouldn't want to anger the Smiliemeister, now would we? :zazu:

And if anyone has a smaller photo they'd like me to edit into an old post to replace the link to a larger photo, please PM me with the details.

No apologies needed. Just be good in future. Thanks for understanding.

Zazu

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Giant Photos

Post by BRWombat » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:04 pm

Mea culpa. Sorry, and thanks for your help on this!

:wombat: :bow: :bow: :bow: :zazu:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:32 pm

Zazu wrote:The third solution -- banning photos -- isn't one we want to consider because that also outlaws smilies.
Geez, SGT without smiles? Now my whole day at work will be ruined by that one thought :p: .

I will admit it's been annoying to have to scroll across the page to read one line of text. While I don't *think* I've posted anything too large, I will, as will everyone else, be more careful in the future.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:42 pm

Sorry ( yes I am apologizing..deal with it:p :) if mine are too big. I dont know how else to post them. I resize them on photobucket to the message board size option they give on there. Since most everyone saw them already just go ahead and delete them please. I 'd do it myself but I cant edit after the time is up. I would rather they were not linked to my photobucket page cause when you do that you can see other pics on there too. (yeah I know there is a way around that too but most ppl are too lazy to do it) I usually only post the good ones or important ones on message boards. The others I just put there so the relatives can see them. Thanks.

Question tho....do you have to do that scroll thing to mine? I never have a problem on other sites. ???????????????

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:22 pm

My fault...I am just learning to post pictures and recently found the place where it says modify size (wish I could have done THAT with some of my exes...DOOP!) and it shrinks it to Message board size. I are learning, need to keep learning more about posting pics on threads. It is a new toy for me.
Sowwy... :o:
susi*not tech smart*slicker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:28 pm

This is Fantastic!! Now if I could figure out 'how' to post a photo,that would be GREAT. :(

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:11 pm

Polar33 wrote:If all of your photos are sized the same as the ones posted in the Halloween! thread, then you should be fine.
OK...good... I was worried I might get banned or something. ;) First thing I do when I upload them to photobucket is resize them all to the message board option.

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:12 pm

darph nader wrote:This is Fantastic!! Now if I could figure out 'how' to post a photo,that would be GREAT. :(
If I can do it you can too. Think positive...LOL It only took me like 6 months to get brave enuf to even try. Shoulda' seen my first attempt...hmmppff..dont ask.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:59 pm

vixen101485 wrote:Sorry ... if mine are too big. I dont know how else to post them. ... Since most everyone saw them already just go ahead and delete them please.
I will if you like, but perhaps it would be better to wait to see if Polar's fourth option works.
Question tho....do you have to do that scroll thing to mine? I never have a problem on other sites.
I honestly can't recall. Go look at your recent posts -- if photos have been swapped for links, then yes I did have problems.

Not everyone will have a problem with each photo. It's a function of the screen resolution of each system's monitor. With my main machine down for repair, I'm working on my laptop, which is on the small side these days. With luck, mine is the smallest screen size in wide use, so I'll catch most all the problems. (And if there's anyone still running VGA, let me know and we'll start up a collection for you.)

Zazu

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:10 pm

I think the only answer is everyone must go out and buy one of these:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... =M9179LL/A

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."