Giant Photos

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Giant Photos

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:24 pm

Isn't there anyway to make it where an overly large picture causes only that one post to side scroll while the others stay the normal size? That is what happens on Board X which also uses vBulletin, just an older version (3.6.5 versus our 3.6.8). I would think if an older version has that ability a later version would too.

For instance, this post on there has some overly large images but the rest of the posts on that page are the normal width.

It is annoying how overly large images posted here cause the entire page to side scroll.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:57 pm

ktulu wrote:I think the only answer is everyone must go out and buy one of these:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... =M9179LL/A
Totally!!!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:55 am

ktulu wrote:I think the only answer is everyone must go out and buy one of these:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... =M9179LL/A
Good lord, I have to make sure that Donnie does not see that or I will be sleeping on that instead of a new bed come tax time. LOL I like it tho.

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:12 am

Shorty82 wrote:It is annoying how overly large images posted here cause the entire page to side scroll.
Just be glad I am not intending to post any of my Giant photos from my recent trip here. You could be scrolling for days. ;) To give you an idea I have one right here that measures 26738 x 3607 pixels which would print at 300 dpi as a photo 12 inches tall by 89 inches wide! The piddly little pictures you are fretting about are tiny little things. :D:

And yes as soon as I have most of the photos processed I will put theme somewhere you all can look and marvel. :D:

Randy

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:47 am

Randy B wrote:To give you an idea I have one right here that measures 26738 x 3607 pixels which would print at 300 dpi as a photo 12 inches tall by 89 inches wide!
You realize that at 89 inches, we couldn't post them aboard most of Disney's buses.

What camera, pray tell, were you using? Or were you making panoramic shots?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:12 am

Big Wallaby wrote:You realize that at 89 inches, we couldn't post them aboard most of Disney's buses.

What camera, pray tell, were you using? Or were you making panoramic shots?
Yep, Panorama. That one was shot as 86 seperate images that I then ran my computer for nearly 3 hours of processing time to stitch together that one photo. That's why I shot somewhere between 5000 and 6000 photos. Most of those are panos. I'm about half way through stitching together the resulting panos. I haven't dared to count the number of panos yet. I might scare myself off.

Randy

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:22 am

I just have a tiny little poopy computer, not even a flat screen, it is one of those old ones that have the big monitor with a 12 inch screen across. I want a new pooter like that cool one...But then I would have to give up going to Disneyland for Christmas. Ain't. Gonna. Happen. No way. I get this pooter when Ralphie gets a new one for his office. We share this one right now. And we don't even have a laptop :eek: :eek: We are definitely not a tech oriented family.

Does resizing the photos to Message Board size work every time? Cause I have noticed even when I am resizing some to Message board (Now that I found that wondrous option) that some stay big still...I am using the same camera. Maybe it is just a function of different websites that it does that. I will post all my pics in Message board size from now on...Promise. If they come in too big, I will remove them from the post and post a thumbnail and you can all get out your magnifying glasses! LOLOLOL! No, I'll just learn to post a link. How do I do that, not post the actual pic, but a link to it? Photobucket has 4 different options for posting, which one do I use for links. Oh well, I guess I don't mind if you see *all those other* pictures there, at least we aren't naked in any of them. :eek: :D:
susi*NO I am NOT naked now*slicker :p:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:45 am

The only way for a message board to resize an image is to set the max size in the page's code. This means the full image is still being downloaded. This makes it take longer to load the page. The best way is to reduce the image yourself then post it so the actual image is smaller and takes less time to download.

It doesn't take special software to reduce the size of an image, Paint can do it. I'm not on a Windows system so I can't give instructions how but it is pretty simple.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:35 am

All this tech talk makes my brain hurt...I just do not understand how the stuff in this *box* under my desk, makes everything show up on the screen the way it does. I just now understand T.V. and radio waves, now you want me to fugure out how billions of people can communicate on this box all over the world. GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! My head is exploding! :blowup:
susi*headbomb*slicker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:20 am

Polar33 wrote:I'm not really a fan of that method, as it dosn't do anything to help improve page load times for those with slower internet connections. Ideally I would like to have something that would auto resize images to fit in the post, but also provide access to a full size version for those who want one.
You need a gallery that users can upload to, and then provide a link to the smaller images on that gallery. You can have it resize to something reasonable on upload, so it can potentially solve two problems at once, the size issue and peeps like Darph who have no idea how to post (or possibly host) images.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."