What nerve

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

What nerve

Post by BirdMom » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:57 pm

Well, back to the real purpose of this site, bitching about the pests...

I'm sure I wasn't the only c.m. who was bothered after awhile by the idea that the guests could look at you and make some comment about your personal appearance or you - as if you weren't standing there - and expect you not to react. It always ranged from the lame..."nice shoes" over at Pirates...to the slightly irritating..."smile" over at Mansion. Ummmm....lady the ride is supposed to be scary (ok, 1969 scary) so why should I be out there beaming like a Miss America reject? I think the lamest variation was "smile - it makes the day go faster?" Alright Einstein, just how will the laws of physics be changed and the hours rush like minutes by exercising facial muscles??? I've been called "Dr. Quinn" (Bear Band), Elvira & Vampira (Mansion) and the ever popular "wench" at Pirates. A lot of unthinking males over the age of puberty felt free to comment on my backside when I'd be in the ever-so lovely skin tight Matterhorn pants. I also had a medical condition with one of my eyes that required that I wore sunglasses even on cloudy days - some passholes would question why I was wearing them. Excuse me jerk - you aren't my department manager, lead or supervisor who actually knows what's in my file...why should I have to explain my reasons for doing the things I do to you, a complete stranger? And why do you have the right to question me about such a little thing that has nothing to do with your guest experience in the first place? Can't you just hear it now? "Hello, Disneyland City Hall? I was extremely offended by one of your cast members in New Orleans Square because I couldn't see the pupils of her eyes!!! No, she didn't say anything offensive to me...as a matter of fact, she was nice. No, she didn't trip me or beat me up in any manner. Well, yes, she backdoored my party when we should have waited in the big line. But I'm still mad because I couldn't see the pupils of her eyes." :shock:

So, didn't these jerks ever have mothers who taught them that it's not polite to talk about other people in front of their faces?

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:02 pm

Ooh I know about stupid people who comment on clothing...Hell it ranges from High School to where you work(ed). These people really need to look at themselves sometimes...at least you have job...I would care less about what I looked like. People seriously need to get a life. If you go to a themepark just to comment on someone's appearence and complain...Stay home....Seriously. Nobody thinks you're funny either.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:10 pm

I hated it when some idiot would come up to me and say, "Smile!"

At first the comment made me smile, because it was such a stupid thing for someone to say; but then I forced myself not to smile in reaction to this comment, because by doing so I was "giving in" to their demand.

I can be nice all day, but it's very hard to smile for 8 solid hours. Most of the time the job is just so boring. It was all I could do from falling asleep while standing up.

So most of the time when a guest told me to smile, I either ignored them or glared at them. Or I'd say with an expression-less face, "Yeah," and continue on without a smile.

Aside from that, I never really knew what else to do. I really wanted a snappy comeback to the "smile" demand, but could never think of one (one that would work while not getting me into trouble, that is)...

But I really do hate idiots that go around telling people to smile. If the Park was so intent on making me smile, it wouldn't have cut back on our pay and benefits, etc, etc...

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:33 pm

I've learned to use what I call the "store-bought plastic smile" where I smile using only my mouth and not the rest of my face. It looks really stupid, but my fellow CMs get a kick out of it, and it irritates the guests when I do it, too.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:40 pm

Freak wrote:Ooh I know about stupid people who comment on clothing...Hell it ranges from High School to where you work(ed). These people really need to look at themselves sometimes
So true! Last Thursday, I was in this ladies room on campus when two girls walked in and one looked at herself in the mirror and said in an extremely distressed voice "oh my God, I look like one of those people that I make fun of!" and all I could think was "serves you right..." :twisted:

Hawkeye Jenny
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Hawkeye Jenny » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:30 pm

<<Aside from that, I never really knew what else to do. I really wanted a snappy comeback to the "smile" demand, but could never think of one (one that would work while not getting me into trouble, that is)...>>

Give them a deadpan expression and say "I AM smiling." Preferably in a low threatening voice. :twisted:

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

GapToothed
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by GapToothed » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:37 pm

You could say: "I was born without the facial muscles to smile... maybe you missed our annual Arbor Day Telethon. Let's check that toteboard, Skippy!"

"How can I measure up to anyone now after such a love as this?" Peter Townshend, The Who--->

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:16 am

"I am smiling inside, sir."

goose
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by goose » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:37 am

What nerve? Oh that's a great topic. Here's my contribution.

I was on a lemonade cart. There was about three different groups crowding around the cart deciding on what to get. After I finished with a guest I kindly requested that everyone form one line. They quickly did and I was impressed. Halfway through serving this older woman I see a girl and her boyfriend standing to the side. There was clearly a line. After the purchase I pause briefly and hear her say hi and proceed with her order.

Me: "Actually...there's a line right here."
Her: "Yes, but we were here first before these people."
Me: "I haven't seen you until now." (Honest to God, I hadn't!)

She walked away all pissed off. Poor little princess realizes that lines apply to her too. Oh, the satisfaction. I was in a good mood for hours. It doesn't take much these days. :D

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:08 pm

I totally hear you, goose. That used to happen to me all the time. Makes me wonder what the world is coming to when I have to say "wait your turn" to a bunch of adults as if they were 5 years old.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005